1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

The Return of the Flying Mount Thread

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Yakzan, May 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

that's because 99% of people who complain about flying complain because of World PvP, and on those games flight dosent get in the way of that.
  2. BonusStage

Nah i dont like the launchpad idea, i want to fly back to town as much as i fly from town, you could have launch pads around the zones , but again, griefers would camp that zone.
  3. TeoH

TeoH Well-Known Cupcake

Allow me to present Flying (with restrictions):

This strikes me as just a taxi system that you have to aim and auto-run yourself, minus the cinematics which come from the pre-planned taxi flight routes. Being able to freely fly around but be entirely incapable of dismounting, even if say, someone is shooting you, strikes me as bizzare.

On the otherhand, if your launchpads involve actually launching people in a fashion reminiscent of Quake 3 Arena, with limited air control, then count me in because i'm all for that.
  4. Inda

Inda Cupcake

Please no unlimited flying mounts. If you want to make them for specifically a zone or quest line that's cool. Jump pads a la fps games sounds hella fun though.
  5. Phyllo

Phyllo Cupcake

Don't forget to remove stealth from the game as well so no one steals your nodes ever guys. :roflamo:

It's going to happen in a game where it's possible whether there are flying mounts or not. Just make it so everyone can get that node.

Honestly though just give me a jet-pack with fuel and I will be a happy camper regardless of flying mounts being in the game or not.
    Zilvoran and Rumze like this.
  6. Drasas

Drasas Well-Known Cupcake

Teoh, you'd be able to control where you wanted to go mid-flight. With normal flight paths you have no control once you hit the button.. In this system you could turn right around and land or go to a closer landing zone if you see a rare mob or resource.
  7. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

The idea is that you can freely fly and explore that way, but you are restricted in where you can mount and dismount, so you can't just mount up and skip those one or two mobs. Also, launchpads would be more abundant than taxi points so you have increased freedom in where to travel, yet restricted to land in that area where you have to continue on foot. Also, like I mentioned, it could create player dependency by having Settlers create these launchpads. Though I'm really just repeating myself, sorry.

I definitely see your concern about it being basically a taxi system and it's a pretty valid concern. I see it more as a more freeform taxi service because it doesn't have a continuous cost (Unless mixed with a fuel system) and you aren't stuck on a set path but you can set your own path.

I'd definitely love to see it mixed with other systems as well, especially for PvP servers (The 'anti-air' mechanic definitely comes to mind.)
  8. Psistorm

Psistorm Cupcake-About-Town

I do like the "launchpad" idea. being able to be a settler and create those for people would also be rather awesomely useful :D - so yeah this for me would totally be another valid way of having flying mounts
  9. Pixie

Pixie Cupcake-About-Town

Perhaps a good start would be "no flying mounts on PvP servers to encourage open world PvP"

But considering Gaffer mentioned mounts with skill bars, who is to say flying mounts won't have skills too? That way, if someone takes off or avoids landing you can chase after them.

The only worthwhile PvP game I ever played was eve, which could be considered "flying" throughout...

Another option is to make flying mounts restricted when tagged for PvP on PvE servers as well, Or make a contested area have a no fly zone in a large radius around it.

I like the idea of real physics. The vehicles of defiance was the best thing about hat game. Auto run shouldn't work when flying, it should make you lose control and crash land if you let go of the controls, unless perhaps you hit the hover button to stay stationary. Flying mounts should not be super fast in my opinion. A good way to keep players on the ground more is to make ground mounts potentially faster than flying ones.

And finally, content involving climbing, Mazes etc should include checkpoints to make flying mounts unviable.

I honestly think it is possible to have a sci fi game with space ships without breaking world pvp nor immersion.
    Phyllo likes this.
  10. Bnol

Bnol Cupcake-About-Town

Remember that you have an intercomm for questing, so you aren't as tied to the back-and-forth dance. Griefers will camp whatever hub in the zone they want to camp, and if there are several launch pads in the zone it would be difficult to cover them all. One can avoid this entirely by choosing a PVE server.
  11. TeoH

TeoH Well-Known Cupcake

Ok then how about this:

Your 'mount' is actually a futuristic air-surfboard, used to glide through the air. Settlers create 'launchpads' which are effectively giant catapults, operated in a similar fashion to Angry Birds. You set direction, angle and force via a UI minigame, and then launch yourself in the general direction of your desired zone, before controlling the gliding air-surfboard down to the ground.
  12. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Cupcake

I proposed a 'solution' to this problem during the Q&A today.
    The only problem is that customization with the taxi mounts would probably be nonexistent.
  13. BonusStage

Tell me again why on a futurisc word the best way of transportation i can have is a sling shot and a glider?

talk about breaking imersion
  14. TeoH

TeoH Well-Known Cupcake

Because it's awesome.
  15. Phyllo

Phyllo Cupcake

As for the world pvpers arguments.

I could just as easily mount a ground mount out of combat and run away as with a flying mount. These world pvp arguments speak more about world pvp to the player themselves than being able to mount does. You could always keep someone in combat so they couldn't mount and in fact that was a huge part of battlegrounds, keeping people in combat at your point so they couldn't mount up and help another point, or catch your flag carrier. If a class has a skill to use that gives them time to mount up then so be it, suck it up and fight the person who actually wants to go toe to toe with you not chase the one who wants to go do something else. Go find someone else and explore the "world". Or step up your game so no one gets away. Sitting around in one spot hoping no one can get away from you breaks immersion and "world" pvp as well, you might as well be sitting in a battleground at that point.

Disable mounts on pvp servers or make the cast time of mounting long enough that no one can use a skill to get away from you by mounting up if it's such a huge problem(they could still just run away from you on foot btw). If you're worried about putting all the work into the fight just for them to get away, then take dying out of the game too because with that logic whats the point in fighting a mob if they can just kill you after you put the time into it. The thought that flying mounts should not be in the game for anyone to enjoy is just so ridiculous.
    Mudfin likes this.
  16. Sawpaw

Sawpaw Cupcake-About-Town

For me the biggest concern is world PVP, I really hate it when people just jump on their flying mounts to escape, so I thought of a solution. If flying mounts could use air to air missiles that knock the enemy player off their mount mid-air, they then fall safely to earth again with a parachute, and their flying mount goes onto a 2 minute cooldown before being able to be used again. I think this will then allow for the PVP ground engagement to happen. In the event that the flying mount is a creature, then maybe something like Fireballs could be shot from their mouths to bring down the enemy player.

I also feel that summoning your flying mount should take at least 5 seconds to do, so that it cannot be used for quick getaways, and any damage taken during that 5 second cast should interupt it.

Also have to say that I like the Fuel idea, perhaps filling up the tank could give you 1 hour flight time for a specific amount of gold/credits. In the event that the flying mount is a creature then some type of food would be needed, so that could also be supplied at the Gas/Petrol stations.
  17. Kalmander

Kalmander Well-Known Cupcake

It's the same reason why we use swords, or have armors, or have magic, or can only double jump, or dodge twice, or bunny girls, or rock guys, or humans (boring!), or or or or don't have bathrooms (now THAT breaks immersion).

Anyway, it is a game, and game balance comes before all that. You can have the most immersive game in the universe, but if it has <REDACTED> mechanics, it will suck...
  18. Vossler

Vossler Cupcake

I say either put a 30 debuff on you when dismounting or being hit. That way you can't just land and harvest then fly off again or get jumped and go invis then fly away.

Maybe even you can only mount flying mount at certain areas like a heli-pad. That way you can fly but if you dismount anywhere you can to use your ground mount to get back to a pad.

If the world was made with flying in mind then I see no harm in flying mounts if they can't be spammed on and off.
  19. Compella

Compella Cupcake

In my opinion, flying mounts create too much conveniance allowing you to skip content which ruins immersion thus killing the MMO. I no longer play WoW simply because you can get to dungeons/raids/battlegrounds by quickly flying there or clicking a button. Have fast travel from town to town, zone to zone, sure.

And yes this is partly because I enjoy world pvp (southshore vs tarren mill). If you don't like being ganked then there are always pve servers.
    Underz likes this.
  20. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

I have not been the biggest fan of flying mounts in other MMOs but I am curious to see what Carbine has in store for us in WildStar. I really like the concepts of fuel and launchpads as ways to possibly cut down on some of the concerns already brought up.
    Zilvoran and Fate Flyer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.