1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

The Return of the Flying Mount Thread

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Yakzan, May 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

I don't want fly anywhere in the world mounts, but I have a hard time thinking of a space game where we don't have flight of some sort to get from place to place. It's like The Jetson's only having the walkways to get around everywhere.
    Rumze likes this.
  2. Dualist

Dualist Cupcake-About-Town

I hope the dev's don't take out a potentially fun feature which they had planned for based solely on some potentially unsubstantiated backlash.
    Echartea and Mudfin like this.
  3. Eliat_kuni

Eliat_kuni Cupcake

• Edited for content
    Dear Carbine,

I want unrestricted flying mount.

I don't need for me to see people on the road to socialize with them. I just do. I do at work, I do at party and I do in my game.
    Explorer will explore, be a flying mount or on foot. They will use the flying mount to explore place they cannot on foot. Look at Shadow of Colossus and the jump from the horse for references.
    Making the world smaller. It's always small. I've been from Canada to India by PLANE.
    I love to go with my flying mount and see different site or go kill mob far away from the main path. I like to enjoy my game, savor it, taking my time. I never played music or watch movie when I play my MMORPG.

Having flying restricted will just mean extra annoyance for me to enjoy the GAME.

I think people want to be protected against themselves.

Please Carbine I don't need to be protected.
    Echartea likes this.
  4. M3stro0

M3stro0 Cupcake

I wouldn't call flying fun, maybe after the week of exploration on a flying mount it became the same as ground mounts except in the air.
  5. Eliat_kuni

Eliat_kuni Cupcake

Let's say a quality of life feature instead.
  6. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

Well we don't know what they've planned. There could be cool things to do in the sky (since mounts have abilities, aerial combat) or there could be lots of different areas that you need a flying mount to get to scattered around the world.

There are ways they can make flying fun - there are other things they can do too.
    Echartea, Zilvoran and Rumze like this.
  7. M3stro0

M3stro0 Cupcake

People lived without them pre-tbc just fine, you had mage portals, taxi system, lock summons, hearthstone, summoning stones were all methods of transport and even then you had a 100% speed mount
  8. Compella

Compella Cupcake

We also have to keep in mind the affect flying mounts will have on the Explorer path and the use of tornados to get to high places for rewards. Flying mounts will make all this content easy, bypassable, void...
    Dnevnoy likes this.
  9. Mizh00

Mizh00 New Cupcake

Please, no flying mounts.

There's almost no point in putting so much effort to make a game world when the players will simply fly over it and ignore everything just to rush to their destination. It makes the game world feel tiny, removes all threat of danger, and cuts out all exploration of the game world. Not to mention the butchering effect it has on World PvP when someone can just hop on their mount and fly away with no repercussion or sit in midair ignoring everything.

I especially don't see this as necessary when the game is planned to have areas with low or no gravity, in which you will already be close to simulating flight anyway.
  10. Jarinolde

Jarinolde Cupcake-About-Town

I'd prefer no flying mounts period, but if there HAS to be, I'd prefer a zone permit system. Want to fly in, through or around this zone? Complete [insert content completion requirement here] as well as be level 60 and you'll be able to fly here!

Edit: to further elaborate, doing it like this means that players cannot skip content with flying. If they want this convenience, they have to WORK for it.
  11. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

Thing is this leads to people who hit the cap and get their mounts early will go and gank and abuse lower level areas with their mount.

i have no problem into allowing people to fly, they are skiping content because they want to, so let them.

the only reasonable argument ive seen so far, is that it might break the explorer's path
    Echartea and Phyllo like this.
  12. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

You want a "reasonable" argument?

The game has NPC flying vehicles shooting at ground targets and patrolling certain zones. There is a war going on for the planet. Some zones focus more on this war than others.

There are going to be no-fly zones on both sides, where you get shot down - if you don't present proper ID. From what I've seen so far, it even looks like the Exiles crash land (get shot down) onto Nexus to start. There is a mission later on where you try to evacuate some folks and they get shot down too.

If you're going to be able to fly anywhere, it will be even more immersion breaking, because it simply won't make world sense when compared to content already in the game.

If you just want a game, it doesn't matter, if you want a world - it matters.
    BonusStage and Rumze like this.
  13. Jarinolde

Jarinolde Cupcake-About-Town

My suggestion does not make ganking through the use of flying mounts any more prevalent than other methods.

This is also not just about the explorer path being completely irrelevant with flying, world PvP has a stake in this (though I don't personally care for it) as well as the world feeling dead when you look around and see no one, because everyone decides to fly. It's why I'm a huge fan of content that specifically denies flying in World of Warcraft.
  14. BonusStage

the problem with your sugestion is that the only way to defend yourself against someone ganking trough flight is by flyng aswell.

the think is everyone is fixated on how flying is on World of Warcraft, and Wildstar could be a completely diferent beast, just give mounts a couple of skins to knock people down/avoid being knocked down, or give it Fuel so people cant use it all day without consequences.

if i had to guess id say that currently flying mounts are not breaking the explorer path, since i doubt they designed something thats coneptually broken, they designed the whole world around flight, maybe they also designed the explorer path around it aswell
  15. Compella

Compella Cupcake

I've observed an Explorer mission where there are avalanches coming down the mountain where you have to dodge them to get to the top of the hill you are required to climb. I've seen people jumping into tornados to get on top of rocks to get to treasure. I've seen the use of the blue crystals to get serious airtime and get to content on high mountains. If anything I think the world was NOT designed for flying mounts.
  16. BonusStage

Now that's a argument.

Then why not just let them do exactly this? have zones where people can fly, have no flight zones, and have zones where you need to aquire something before you can fly.

but they shoudnt forbid you from having a flying mount, or restrict it due to game-y reasons.

maybe you cant fly during that? who would take off in the middle of a storm? they can restrict flight when they feel it makes sense.

but yes, they have said a couple of times that the World WAS designed with flight in mind.
    i dont know who would design a MMO on a futuristic setting this day and age without considering flight.

other then SW Tor =p
    Eluldor likes this.
  17. tonic

tonic New Cupcake

I will not play Wildstar if it has flying mounts like WoW has. I like open world PVP and exploration far too much to get invested in a game that will eventually lose both.

Ideas:
    -Only able to mount/dismount at taxi points
    -Fuel that costs game currency to replenish
    -1 Fueling station per zone (PVP hotspots!)
  18. Compella

Compella Cupcake

I'm in the same boat. At the confirmation of flying mounts I will no longer be planning to purchase this game.
  19. BonusStage

the reason open world pvp died is not because of flight, it's because world pvp isnt balanced or skill based, it might be fun, but it's all about who gets the jump on who, and gear.

Mounts dont have to prevent or completely avoid world pvp tho, they dont have to work or behave like they do on Wow, i think that a fuel system that's not a money sink (free fuel at city's) is more then enough to stop people from abusing it.

this way if people use it too much to travel betwen quests they will be out of fuel and completely vunarable, and if they dont, they are also more vunarable then they would be on wow.

if you want to grief people by corpse camping them all day, them yeah, this might not be the game for you
    World PvP is not enough to remove a QoL feature from the game.
  20. Compella

Compella Cupcake

I completely disagree. It was called 'World of Roguecraft' for a reason. There were broken specs everywhere and yet why is it that so many people remember that as the golden days of WoW. It was unbalanced and yet people were having a heck of alot of fun. I'm referring to when there were no flying mounts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.