1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

The Return of the Flying Mount Thread

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Yakzan, May 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alan

alan Cupcake

What level will you have access to it? pretty sure they stated when talking about flying mounts, that they were to be seen early on. Where is this max level assumption coming from? link?
  2. Rocksmash

Rocksmash New Cupcake

I typically stay away from posting on the forums, however, I feel the need to place down my ideas. People keep saying that they want flying, yet it has to be the fastest and easiest way to travel. Why don’t we change that?

Basic Tool

Grapple Gun - Allows you to latch on certain objects. For this to be usable flying must have a limit so that players can see you in the sky. It will have a cool down after use.

PVP use - Allows you to hook onto enemy player’s flying mount and pull them down from the sky. There could be a mini game which allows whoever presses a certain button the quickest wins. Flying mount win allows the person to escape because of grappling gun cool down and maybe an animation that keeps the ground mount person stunned for a little. Ground mount win causes the person on the flying mount to drop with a parachute to the ground.

PVE use - Simply allows you to climb up certain things. If there is a rock or something near the edge of a higher cliff the grappling gun can hook onto it and allow your character to climb up. (Could be an interesting tool for explorers. They could get it free well other paths must pay a small fee to get the grappling gun).

PVE/PVP use - Allows you to climb over walls in enemy territory, warplots, or fortresses in the open world.

The Mounts

Ground Mounts - This should be the fastest way to travel in open fields. It should also have the possibility to be fastest way to travel in places with mountains, etc. However, it can only be the quickest way in mountainous zones if you know how to take advantage of: the crystals that allow you to jump higher, the explorer tunnels, and whatever else the developers might have planned.

Ground mount natural abilities - 1) Sprint
    2) Jump
    3) Sprint + Hold Jump = A sort of double jump for mounts (Makes them not jump as far as lunge, but higher than it.)
    4) Sprint + Jump = Lunge

Ground mount learned abilities - I’ll be going over a few possibilities that the developers could have.

1) Roar - You use a sort of microphone to enhance your ground mounts natural loudest noise so that it has a high frequency.

PVP use - It hurts the ears or messing up the programming of your enemies flying mount, causing a slowing effect on them. Can only be used on players who are flagged.

PVE use - If there is no player target it slows and/or gives a one second stun to all NPC enemies around you, making it harder for them to knock you off your mount.

2) Camouflage - Causes a few second stealth from anyone around you, however, if you are too close you are easily seen. It slows your mount by 20% or more/less. Can only be used out of combat (if wanted by most people).

PVP use - Allows you to ambush unexpecting “prey”. Example: Someone is on a flying mount in the air, unaware anyone is in the zone to pull them down. You sneak up and use the grappling gun. (Could have a small bonus in your favor in the mini game to pull them down).

PVE use - Allows you to possibly sneak by those pesky long ranged mobs.

Speed - First ground mount at w/e low level speed of 50%, and second ground mount at max level be 110% speed. Both of these speeds increased by w/e percentage when sprinting.

Flying Mounts - Flying mounts should be slightly slower than ground mounts since it can bypass any troubles in a zone.

Flying mount natural abilities - 1) Sprint (Dive) - Can only be used when you’re at a certain angle dropping from the sky. It is sort of a sprint for flying mounts, but only when you’re heading towards the ground.
    2) Jump (Flying higher) - Just raises you higher in the air.

Flying mount learned abilities - I’ll be going over a few possibilities that the developers could have.

1) Floating disks - Causes three disks to come out of some pocket or under the saddle of your flying mount.

PVP/PVE use - It keeps turrets or missiles from actually hitting your flying mount, keeping them from getting injured and knocked down.

PVP use - Once you get hit by the grappling gun, the ability changes. The flying disks can now come out and cause a signal in the zone to allow nearby players to know you’re in danger. The disks then self-destruct causing a clearly visible explosion in the sky. However, it makes you instantly lose the mini game (if there is one)

Dodge - Allows you to dodge incoming objects if you are cautious about your surroundings. It has quite a decently long cool down. It is the same as floating disks you say? No, since floating disks allows only for you to block missiles or turrets, but not a grappling gun.

PVE/PVP use - Allows you to dodge a turret shot, missile.

PVP use - Allows you to dodge the grappling gun.

Speed - Only gained at max level and has a speed of 100%. This speed is increased by w/e percentage the developers allow the sprint ability (Dive) to go.

This suggestion can be changed, and modified if needed. However, ground mounts should be the faster of the two since flying allows you to bypass a lot of danger. Ground mounts are superior by being a bit faster than flying mounts, and being able to interact with secret passageways like the explorers tunnels. But in mountainous zones shows there weakness that can only be bypassed if you have knowledge of the ground below. Sorry for any grammar/spelling mistakes I’ve made.
    Zilvoran likes this.
  3. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

So this thread actually is agreeing upon something similar to what DCUO had (I think) where there's different options for movement. The thing that there's a large outcry against is the WoW flying mount. Also, it sounds like you don't care much about the issue, which is why you don't care about trivializing explorer content. It also sounds like you'll be happy with anything as long as its fairly convenient for travel, whether its a flying mount or something similar.
  4. Mayjinx

Mayjinx Cupcake

I do care...but trying to get flight band completely is a <REDACTED> move! I think there is more simple moves carbine can make for the explorer then take away our free form flight...but remember its not all about reaching high vistas there is a lot more gong on... But people are determined to get it changed...what I find funny most is the community not this but all mmo...how many games have gone down the toilet because of the same thing that's happening here yet no one cares...shame really...
  5. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

there is no link, but they have not writen anything on stone yet.

all i know is that current CBT has the level cap of 22, and people do not have acess to flight so far, from what the devs have stated.
    so i can assume that either
    1: They are not ready to be implemented
    2: the level that you aqurie them is 22>

@Rocksmash Your post is unreadble, please edit
  6. Compella

Compella Cupcake

3: They aren't being implemented. :p

Sorry, had to.
  7. BonusStage

Pretty useless quote tho, as we know that flight is planned to be implemented, and the possible change of heart was very recent.
    Close Beta Testers have not even tested flight yet, i doubt they will scrap this feature without further tests and actual impressions from the player base
  8. Compella

Compella Cupcake

Sure, they will likely add a fuel tank and see what people think.
  9. BonusStage

i think people are taking this out of proportion.

Carbine said they were looking into it, not that they had their minds set that they needed to change/scrap flight.

however Fuel tanks could be something really cool if did right and something that would enhance flight instead of diminishing it.
  10. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

Except you really won't. I am not talking about while leveling, I am talking about max level. You know, that part you end up spending most of your time in. I hated the change to no fall damage in Rift entirely because it made getting around zones sooo much easier. Part of what makes Firefall so enteresting is the limited flight, meaning you cannot just skip everything but what you choose to do. The convience argument of "we all don't have 8 hours a day" is also pretty silly as its a pretty well known fact that the average player plays ~20 hours a week, and that has no changed in over a decade of research. I want a little bit of inconvience.
  11. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

on phone right now but early on they did stats it would be at cap. I'll try and find link later.
  12. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

Check back a few pages, there are solutions to those issues.
  13. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Actually the reason for not having free form flight is to improve the community of the game. I don't think unrestricted flight has ever been considered an improvement in community health, and if it has, I haven't seen any strong arguments for it. (Your buddies coming to back you up is not strong because you're less likely to get ganked in the first place if no unrestricted flight existed.) Explorers (from the bartle test) are proven to help the health of a game's community, so catering to them will overall be better for the community. (http://www.mud.co.uk/richard/hcds.htm a paper to back up that claim.)

Also, check this interview:
    http://www.mmo-game.eu/wildstar-q-and-a-session-with-jeremy-gaffney/

From this interview a year ago it appears unrestricted flight was never in the hopper from the get go. Unrestricted flight is boring and simply quality of life. Flying with physics and restrictions involved is fun, because you actually have to do something to make it work, instead of *point camera and hit autorun.*
    Milamilou and Compella like this.
  14. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

About the comments about skipping 'completed/seen content' and such, my thread on establishing familiarity would explain why I, personally, don't subscribe to that mentality. I'm not saying you're wrong but I just wanted to show you my reasoning for why I'm not on the same side in that debate.
  15. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

Ah, then it's a non-issue, because free form flight has zero impact on harming community, and only a minimal impact on improving community (by allowing players to more quickly reach their destinations and begin interacting.
    Lethality likes this.
  16. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

Well, the fact is until they find a reason not to, the design intention was to have them. So I'd guess they are in unless they decide to pull them out temporarily.
  17. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

It reduces OWPVP by giving the ultimate escape button. It makes it so the most you see someone is 3 seconds on the ground, unless they're in an AH, it makes players run away from any mobs instead of trying to engage them. It makes the price of resources go down to the point where players can simply become the ultimate crafter by standing at the AH. It helps gold farming and the population of gold farming, (There's companies in china that thank Blizzard very much for 310% flying mounts.) I mean... unless you like your entire community packed in an AH, players preferring to not interact and instead just fly away anytime anything happens, and gold farmers, these things are not healthy for the community. Especially to give you something that a well made taxi system will do anyway. Except for the whole flying from mob to mob or node to node... But that's a bad feeling anyway.

Edit: If you're just worried about getting to your destination faster, howabout a ground mount that goes 500% speed or a flying mount that goes 150% speed? Which would you rather have? Unrestricted free form flight doesn't inherently add to the game. Speedy travel is nice though.
  18. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Taxi's do this fine for me, I would be happy with a taxi to the zone I'm interested in, and then proceeding from there.
  19. Seagrey

Seagrey Cupcake-About-Town

Point to the player instead of flying mounts, ground mounts etc. You'd think that if you play a game, you'd want to experience all the content you could ... but there are players that see an mmo from a different perspective. They want to hurry to level. Why? It depends, but on pvp servers the higher the level the more you survive. Others get a kick out of being 'first' to level. It's a boy scout badge thing. That doesn't make their play-style wrong...just different.

Not my play-style, but it would be so very boring if folks were all cut from the same mold.

I wish folks would stop blaming the mechanics of a game, for all the community issues with content. You need structure, but not so much as to be stifling and smothering.

We play mmo's to have fun.
  20. Dnevnoy

Dnevnoy Cupcake-About-Town

Well it's not really an entirely personal view. In fact it seems to be shared by most if not all of those likely to be explorers when the game is released. Simply telling them "no you shouldn't feel like that" is not a helpful line of argument.

MMOs are fundamentally games where is does matter what other players do. If everyone has completed all the raid content it would make that content feel trivial. If everyone had the best gear you would not gain satisfaction from your own. If everyone can fly to what should be hard to reach places in the world then exploration does not feel as rewarding.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.