1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

The Return of the Flying Mount Thread

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Yakzan, May 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xaroc

Xaroc New Cupcake

You do realize that people won't see you coming anyways because they're going to be a hundred meters above you to start with right? The point that people try to make when they say that flying mounts kill world PvP is that the people who are flying won't encounter or be able to be attacked in the first place, because they're safe up in the air.

In Ultima, you had to react quickly to avoid getting ganked, in modern MMO's you can just avoid danger all together.
    Milamilou, Compella and Drasas like this.
  2. MMOPapa

MMOPapa Cupcake-About-Town

Ah, so people recalling to opposite sides of the world is not similar to people flying hundreds of meters in the air... how could I be so stupid.
  3. Xaroc

Xaroc New Cupcake

Glad you understand, because something you had to react to cast and something that you could do while afk is not similar.
  4. MMOPapa

Ah, so you consider killing someone who's AFK to be World PVP (Player VERSUS Player)? So if they were on the ground, killing someone who's AFK is considered PVP? Oh how times have changed... I'm so sorry for my ignorance.
  5. Seagrey

Seagrey Cupcake-About-Town

If folks want to sit in their house to avoid pvp...so be it. If they want to spend their time in the cities, so be it. If they want to fly in the air till the coast is clear, so be it.

PVP is not just about fighting...its about avoiding fights sometimes too.

I have seen seasoned pvp players high-tail it out of an area because they were outnumbered. They took pride in their death count.

PVP is about knowing when and where to fight...and when and where to avoid it.
    BonusStage, Roland Daemon and MMOPapa like this.
  6. MMOPapa

Now now, you can't use logic in this thread. Evidently killing an AFK player is a perfect example of World PVP.
  7. Dnevnoy

Dnevnoy Cupcake-About-Town

Getting a bit off topic with this stuff but I'll just say the point is not that you don't gain satisfaction from things if some people have done content before you/have better gear (obviously almost always going to be the case) but you do if almost everyone has essentially the same gear and has done the same content. The parallel with flying mounts is not that some people will get to these locations as well but that everyone will and it will be extremely easy to do so.

Well just to clarify
    But they aren't really explorers are they? They are not out to go where few people have gone before but rather to accomplish a feat of courage and skill. So yes people may well get some of this feeling from climbing but it has nothing to do with exploration.

In some games it has been really difficult and dangerous to get to certain parts of the world (which was non-linear). It certainly wasn't convenient but it made travel feel meaningful. Simply getting to certain places was cool and you actually felt like you were in a world. Morrowind is quite a good example of this I think.

Now unfortunately no one is going to go for a system with pretty much no fast travel but I feel unrestricted flying mounts are swinging the pendulum too far in the other direction.
  8. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

Which is a. . . bad thing for some reason? If they're flying up in the air then clearly they aren't intending to be PKed, so how is it a bad thing when they aren't PKed? That seems to be "working as intended" to me.

Nah, nothing much had changed, there have always been cowardly jerks who only pick on those weaker than themselves, and feel affronted if anything gets in the way of their doing so.
  9. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

Yes, but players of the WS Explorers path won't actually be explorers either, since any place they get to, plenty of other players will have gotten to first. I mean, if you were to get into beta today, there won't be a single spot in the starter areas that has not been trod over by testers already. If you log in on the first day, then within an hour there won't be a single location in the live starter area that hasn't been trod over by live players, and unless you keep up a frantic pace there will always be at least one person ahead of you in reaching each possible location.

Don't act as if Soldier's flying past a jump puzzle somehow trivializes it when dozens of other Explorers dancing around at the top of it does not.
  10. Xaroc

Xaroc New Cupcake

Ok? so..... I wrote that you could be on a flying mount and be afk at the same time and nobody could touch you, whereas you had to be ready to react to cast recall, and seeing how near instant teleport casts don't even exist in MMO's anymore because people realized how stupid of an idea it was, you still find it smart to use a 16 year old reference for a game being made right now(2013 in case you forgot).
    Milamilou likes this.
  11. MMOPapa

The only thing that bothers me is when they have the gall to call themselves PVPers...
    ...AFK players aren't against much of anything, they're AFK.
  12. Xaroc

Xaroc New Cupcake

That's what towns, cities and your house is for. If you go out into the wild it's because your character is taking a risk and facing danger, willing to fight for his/her faction.
    Milamilou likes this.
  13. MMOPapa

That's right... I'm comparing something that was implemented sixteen years ago during what some people claim to be the 'epitome of World PVP' to something today. Doesn't make sense? I apologize but I can't explain it in any simpler fashion than what I've already said.

As for your claim to being in the air... in Ultima Online could you not be in your house with privacy settings on? Your boat? If it takes more time to mount up and fly several hundred feet into the air than it would to cast Recall on a rune bound to a location where you could easily access your home... is that not comparable? I can not explain my comparison any simpler than this, I'm sorry. :laugh:
  14. Dnevnoy

Dnevnoy Cupcake-About-Town

Once again, there is a difference between some people (other explorers) having access to certain places by putting in effort and everyone having access to those places simply by flying up to them.

As I said before all this argument boils down to is some people saying it will spoil the feeling of exploration for them and others saying "no you shouldn't feel like that". I think this thread has demonstrated that a significant amount of players will find the explorer path less satisfying if unrestricted flying mounts are implemented.
  15. Xaroc

Xaroc New Cupcake

Being in your home/boat is exactly what I mentioned in my last post, and the point is not how long it takes for someone to fly hundreds of feet into the air but that they won't be on the ground in the first place. I hardly ever walked when I was leveling a druid in TBC(WoW), I just swooped down, did my quest, and left a couple seconds later. Nobody could touch me when I was already in the air 90% of the time, but they could if I didn't have a flying mount, thus, the only true fix to world PvP.

From what I've seen, people are liking my posts. I guess people don't know that arguments or debates are a good thing when trying to fix something, even if they do say mean things.

Edit: Even if my posts do get deleted, I'll hardly care. I just hope that I could convince some people that world PvP is a good thing and hopefully bring the MMO genre back to life.
    Milamilou and SyberSycho like this.
  16. Torguish

Torguish Cupcake

I agree with MMOpapa in every level. Then again, what Xaroc was saying, is that if you see someone running towards you, you can just mount up and go flying and no1 can touch you.

Not to mention, i bet stalkers etc have skills which will make then invisible and then they can just go behind a tree and boom, flying mount, fly up and done. I don't think you can really 1 shot people in this game and you will have a chance of getting out of combat and avoid that problem all together.

I hope they put in a mechanic where we can counter flying mounts. Like if you land a strike to a flying dude, the mount would ''die'' or disappear in some cool fashion, you'd fall down and taking fall damage. Or a flight radar which would start blinking and beeping when someone is flying close to you.

Those things could disencourage people from flight ganking.

Those are of course raw ideas but something like that could balance it out, even if a little bit.
    Xaroc likes this.
  17. MMOPapa

Not entirely true, as childish as it may seem when put bluntly in a phrase like 'aerial combat', there could be dismounting options implemented for mid-air encounters. For example, you brought up World of Warcraft; by any chance are you familiar with the X-53 Touring Rocket?

In case you aren't (and for other readers who might not know about it), once the passenger of the X-53 Touring Rocket is forcefully dismounted (for example, if a druid was flying it and suddenly decided to shape-shift to bird form) they are automatically suited with a personal parachute to survive the sudden dismounting.

Lets say we had some option like that in WildStar... where a player does something (the word Kamikaze keeps coming to mind) that causes both parties (aggressor and victim) to be forcefully dismounted yet equipped with a parachute and unable to use any skills while the buff (the parachute) exists... or something like that.
    Milamilou, Zilvoran and Xaroc like this.
  18. Xaroc

Xaroc New Cupcake

And that's not even the thing, because it worked the same way in Ultima. If you saw someone coming towards you or casting a spell at you, you could just port out. The thing with mounts is that they won't need to be on the ground to begin with, that encounter with that other player never happened, you just sat up in the sky by yourself just removed from the world.

That's actually a good idea, while I would prefer that everyone be on the same level in the first place, if they do actually end up putting flying mounts in then there should at least be some risk involved, like being pulled off your mount(with fall damage included maybe).
    Milamilou and MMOPapa like this.
  19. MMOPapa

There have been other suggestions such as limiting flight to gliding like in Firefall or having a 'fuel gauge' so people couldn't stay in air. I've just never cared for AI vs. Flying. I mean, if an enemy sees you flying over head logic dictates it should shoot at you or follow under you for a certain distance. But with some of these games, you just fly over the enemy and they stand there with a thumb in their ear. =/
    Milamilou and Xaroc like this.
  20. Xaroc

Xaroc New Cupcake

Exactly, some kind of glide or fuel mechanic would fix a lot of things, especially people who afk in the air. They would have to find a safe spot first, giving the world a feeling of danger.

TOLD YOU PEOPLE THAT ARGUMENTS CAN LEAD TO AGREEMENTS.
    Mudfin and MMOPapa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.