1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

The Return of the Flying Mount Thread

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Yakzan, May 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

people complained about it then, just like you are complaining now about flying mounts.

it's called nostalgia
    Echartea and Rumze like this.
  2. Silas Jasar

Silas Jasar Cupcake-About-Town

I saw people fighting and passed people in air space just as much as on the road in any game with flying so I believe that is moot point. I also had more fun exploring outlands on a flying mount than I did running around it on foot. Gives me time to appreciate the beauty of the world and to look for all the nooks and crannies without pulling HUGE trains of mobs. The only problem I see is how to balance it with the explorers path for climbing things. As for world PVP, the only time you ever get "fun" out of that is organized attacks on towns and such. Otherwise its just a random gankfest in the middle of nowhere with everyone hidding because they are to afraid to fight in the open. Also the fact that someone on a PVP server may want a brief respite from fighting 24-7 to enjoy other aspects of the game.
  3. Compella

Compella Cupcake

I'm not complaining. I'm sharing an opinion which some others clearly share.

It clearly worked back then at arguebly the peak of the game.
  4. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

I still belive it's nostalgia talking, wow was fresh and new back then, it was extremly solid MMO compared to the competition.
    people got tired of wow not only because Blizzard started to make the game easy and more easy, but because the game grew old and repetitive.

Flying mounts dont have to affect wild star the same way it did WoW, but still Wow with flight was better then without flight, most people agree with this, and ive played since Vanilla, the only thing i kinda miss is the World PvP, but like i said that's not enough of a reason to remove flight imho, especially not on this setting.
    Rumze likes this.
  5. Compella

Compella Cupcake

I peronally thought the introduction of more conveniance resulted in the decline of WoW. If you look at when the dungeon finder (automatic teleporting to instance) was braught in aswell as the existence of flying mounts, the world became so small and felt like a lobby game. At the end of WOTLK the population declined.

You are right in that the repititiveness will have had an effect. Hopefully Carbine can do better.
  6. Kalmander

Kalmander Well-Known Cupcake

If you read the comments, most people are not asking to remove flight, but for a flight system that removes some of the disadvantages.

I'd like to see where you pull that "most people agree with this" part. I've never seen a poll done by blizzard about it. I personally did not like how flying mounts affected WoW, I really think it made it worse. Did I use flying mounts? Yes, I need it to move to many places. Does everyone use them? Yes, but that does not mean they particularly like it. I did a lot of things I did not particularly like in WoW for some achievements, or reputation to get some perks. But heck, that is the design of WoW...

And you can still have all the good things about flying mounts (see nice sights, some exploration, some convenience), without having a permanent flying mount. Having some limits on it would be actually good, allowing for the good stuff without allowing the bad stuff (exclusion from the world, etc).

Carbine wants to hear what everyone thinks, what they want from the system, what they do not want from the system, so they can design a system that provides as many of the good things people want, with the fewer of the bad things people do not want.
    Compella likes this.
  7. Chooby

Chooby Cupcake

I'm down for fuel tanks! I always thought infinitely flying mounts in other games we're a bit too much anyways.
    Rumze and Compella like this.
  8. Seagrey

Seagrey Cupcake-About-Town

How about cannons or artillery that can shoot you out of the sky...would be a settler's job. :)
    Rumze likes this.
  9. M3stro0

M3stro0 Cupcake

Personally I'm in favor of the launch ports, it's layered content and once again makes one aspect of the game useful to the other.
  10. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Layers and layers, having connections between everything in game is what helps make the game come to life.

Explorers find their way to the top of a mountain, with some buddies. Solders start a holdout event to clear out a pesky pirate base. Scientists use their know how to prepare the area, and settlers set up a launchpad so the area is now accessible by flying mounts.
    Now thats working together.
    Echartea, Zilvoran, Mudfin and 2 others like this.
  11. LeFrag

LeFrag Cupcake

I think that flying mounts are awesome. I don't see how it makes the world smaller? I think it saves time and you get to see the awesome landscape from above. But make it a cost, like in WoW where it was 5k for epic flying and another 5 or 10k for upgraded etc. I mean you do have to work for it, and Its a cool feature to have in a game. I'd love to see flying mounts, because they have cool designs and you always dreamed how you can fly a dragon or a space rocket, even a horse! People just want vanilla wow back. Plus everyone will complain a year later of how they want "Flying Mounts". Please put flying mounts in the game!
  12. John

John "That" Cupcake

To me the single biggest issue with flying mounts is that generally there really is no choice when it comes to using them, they are superior at just about everything. Once you have a flyer, its hard to find a compelling reason to stay on the ground anymore. They are faster, they let you cross land barriers effortlessly and they provide instant safety from both players and mobs.

I think flying mounts are a really cool thing, and they are good to have in a game, but they need to have some drawbacks and risks associated with them in order to make it a real choice whether you should stay on the ground or go in the air. I'd love to see a system where flyers are in the game, but not used very often...almost treated more like a special ability that you only pull out in certain situations when you are willing to assume the high risk associated with taking to the skies.

I'm curious what ideas the rest of the community has for proper 'risks' that could be attached to flyers. I brainstormed a few:

-Increase the chance of flyer malfunction the higher altitude you fly. It would be very safe to hover along the ground, reasonably stable to fly at tree level where players could still target you, but going up to mountain level would be a virtual guarantee of crashing to your death

-Have a clan of galactic loot hunters who monitor the sky looking for easy killings; at the first blip on their radar of player flight, they emerge from cloak and begin quickly converging on you. They rob you of small set percentage of your money, and send you crashing to your death on Nexus. This one to me captures the essence of what I'd love to see, where you have to careful and calculating in your flight choice to determine if you can reach your destination before they reach you.

-Have a densely populated sky. Keep that risk of mob aggro present when you take to the air, and have the penalty of being attacked be a dismount and fall back to Nexus.
  13. Seagrey

I have faith in the devs to make flying the right choice for this game. Let's go for it!

Most of us want flying (I think) but we want 'fettered' flying.

So...make it so there is collision in flying...you fly into a bunch of ducks and you're down.
    On one of the vids they showed an area with flying copters that bombard you on the ground...why not have the same for flying over the area...ground artillery shooting up.
    There can be all sorts of evil things in the sky that can keep you out of an area that is too high level for you.

In fact, if you haven't uncovered an area on the ground and try to fly over then have a huge saucer swoop you up in it's laser and beam you home, Scotty.
    Rumze likes this.
  14. M3stro0

M3stro0 Cupcake

Eh, not really.
  15. Seagrey

Didn't everyone beg for flying in SWG???

Any of you remember? Was it fun when you finally got it?
    Rumze likes this.
  16. AnotherJaggens

AnotherJaggens Cupcake-About-Town

4. Don't make them faster than ground. Opposite - make them slower than ground.

You have a choice - you go slow and safe with flying, or you go FAST, but aggro everything around you, probably ganked if on pvp server etc with ground mount. This way both types have application in different situations.
    John likes this.
  17. LeFrag

LeFrag Cupcake

Yes, you get flying at level cap because thats when you can afford it, then by that time you already explored all the content, so why not have flying? Id rather fly than run through zones i've seen 500000 times.
  18. herbalz

herbalz Cupcake-About-Town

maybe role playing servers can have flying mounts and pvp servers mounts can have stricter mount restrictions? all I know is I love flying mounts and would hate to see them go, but I can see how it affects pvp and the explorer content
    Rumze likes this.
  19. Drasas

Drasas Well-Known Cupcake

Use a flightpath...
    Jarinolde likes this.
  20. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Cupcake

I think what Firefall does as far as "flying", they do it right.
    What the game has are these things called gliders. The player gets on a glider pad and it launches them up in the air. Next, the glider pops out of the player's back (part of his armor) and the player can start to glide.
    Becuase of this mechanic in Firefall, the world still feels there.
    The best part about it is that it doesn't allow you to skip everything. You can only skip some parts because you are forced to eventually land. Since you are gliding you cannot go upwards, only slightly horizontal or down.
    I still think the flying idea should be there in that you can go up or down, but there should be some type of limitation. During the Q&A, Gaffney suggested something like fuel. I think fuel would be a neat idea but only slightly. Running out of fuel would be incredibly tedious, especially if you were flying over water or a mountain or something and ran out of fuel.
    I really like the gliding aspect since you keeps you in the world yet we have to realize which world we are in. It is a tricky topic.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.