1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

The RPG elements of Wildstar

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Fluffywolf, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Fluffywolf

Fluffywolf New Cupcake

How much is known about this so far?

I know if Tim Cain has anything to say about it, this game will focus on many possibly ways you can evolve in this game and have an effect on the world. I hope this will not be another MMO where you have to kill 20 of those, then loot 10 of that etc quests, but real storylines focusing on the various characters and areas in the game.

Maybe I am getting my hopes up to high, but I did see Tim Cain say in a movie that he does intend for a near unlimited ways of playstyles, including his favorite playstyle of the pacifist being an actual possibility in the game. Allowing you to really create a story behind your character and actually act upon it by going in whatever direction you want to go.

Does anyone known much about this? Or is it still mostly a wait and see subject?

Also, I wondered if there will be supervised roleplaying servers with actual rules, as opposed to the failure of the roleplaying servers in WoW.
  2. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

Unfortunately, Tim Cain is no longer with Carbine Studios but we're looking at a wait and see. We've only seen gameplay at a very low level in one area - although it does appear that a non-combat route is not in evidence.

It's mostly wait and see, I'd say - including if there will be any server rulesets.
  3. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

My wife and I both are very hopeful of something to try and limit the "I'm gonna go eff with the RP'ers because I'm bored and don't want to do anything with my life."

Hopefully, we as a community can start to develop connections and find a solid community of like-mindedness when it comes to the ways of the game. I love roleplaying. Granted, sometimes it gets put on hold when I'm really absorbed in the game, but I'm always roleplaying in one way or another. Even if it's just in my head as I'm wandering the world. Lol.
  4. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

I remember the days when Blackrock players would go make Gnomes on Argent Dawn and spam the Ironforge general chat whenever Blackrock was down...
  5. Tiktak

Tiktak Cupcake-About-Town

I always roleplay my characters. It doesn't even have to be all that much, just a way of thinking about that game.

I've never played on a RP server so i'm not even sure what the usual 'rulesets' are! lol.
  6. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

I've only jumped around on them, but the ones I was on one of the biggest rules was "No talking in General chat".
  7. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

RP Servers are fickle. SOmetimes they get a bad rep.
    An RP server where you can ONLY speak in character is very extreme, and usually not the one I play on.
    One thing that used to bother be on RP servers were names. I really hated seeing names like: "LeetSkillz", or "FartFace", for examples. Or taking existing names like Legolas, Aragorn, Eragon, etc.
    I enjoy randomly walking around and seeing roleplay between guilds, or just two people. I don't like the rule where you don't speak in general. I use general a lot to ask for help, get advice, etc.

The biggest thing for most RP'ers I think is naming, and griefing. Same example- guild is roleplaying an event, someone comes in and spams the bubbles, yells, or just runs around and tries to be annoying on purpose, interrupting the players event is some of the trashiest business on a roleplay server, and I don't think it needs to be tolerated.
    The excuse of "Those players pay their subscription, too" is BS. When creating a character, you know your playstyle, so don't ruin someone elses that they are paying for just because you "can" and you "Pay".
    It's childish.
    starspun and Tiktak like this.
  8. Tiktak

Tiktak Cupcake-About-Town

I'm 100% behind this. Just saying.