1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

The starting area

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by starspun, Sep 2, 2011.

1. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

Just to bring (another) discussion over here from the chat.

As some/many/most/all? of you might have noticed by watching demo gameplay videos and dev interviews where they talk about the area people have been getting to play in the demo, it's supposedly for level 3-6 characters. Now, starting out in the demo, you're being resuscitated after the ship you were on crashed... meaning there's a pretty good likelihood that the first three levels might well be an introductory tutorial taking place on a ship bound to Nexus.

As we all know, things change during testing, and the introductory experience is one of the many things that are very, very likely to get a second (and probably third, fourth and fifth) look to make sure it's good - that it teaches you enough of the basics, and that it has enough of a hook to make you want to continue playing. That said, and knowing they are watching, I'd just like to say that if my guess about new characters starting on a ship bound for Nexus is correct, I really hope they keep that part. And I'd also like to suggest they make it skippable for future characters once it's been completed once on your account.

Of course, it's very likely I'm also entirely wrong, in which case these suggestions can be disregarded. Or taken in for consideration. You know. Whatever!

Anyway, what do you guys think about this? Is there anything you'd like to see included in the new player experience? What was your favorite experience as a new player in a game?
    Mads Bodin and Dragor like this.
  2. Foxentist

Foxentist New Cupcake

1 - 3 tutorial on board a space ship bound for Nexus? I do like the idea, hopefully your hunch is right (or that they change it to be that). It would also likely be the only taste of space in the entire game, which I think they need at least that 1 - 3 space taste for the game to be able to really give a handle on that Firefly feel they keep bringing up over and over. Being shot down and crashing upon the planet and being stuck there for the rest of the game is fine for me.

But...

Maybe it wont happen, maybe they think 1 - 3 in space could throw off the whole feel for the rest of the game and what players expect when first playing the game. In light of that idea, I assume that it is more likely to not take place in space.
  3. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

Yep, I'd expect the same - as per interviews the 1-3 tutorial is a single-player instance and I believe it was mentioned that the Granok are drop-shipped to the planet and have to fight their way over.

A crashed ship, a drop-ship.... it all points to being at least orbital in the first instance. Which would be handy to set the sci-fi flavour of it all.
  4. Autumnal

Autumnal Cupcake-About-Town

I'd like to see some kind of race-appropriate "flashback", as your character is in transit, to help explain the motivations of why they're going to Nexus.
    Mads Bodin likes this.
  5. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

Yes, a nice story intro about your character is most appropriate. I would like to see that and hope they have a good story for each character.
  6. Belios

Belios New Cupcake

I think i remember one of the devs saying that each race will have it's own starting area, and what you see in the demo is the human "starting area" so the aurin and the other race (sorry I don't have much intrest playing one yet so i kinda forgot what they were called) would all have their own 3+ leveling areas.

It would be cool to have the tutorial area be ona ship heading to nexus, but from what i've heard them say in the con videos, the area they start you out in (after being revived) does a bunch of the "tutorial" so who knows what they're going to do with the 1-3 areas.
  7. Frozenoak

Frozenoak Founding Member

Good lord, I hope your right. That could also play into the deck 5 fiasco mentioned by @ArcShip on twitter in the days before the game was announced. It would be cool to do your level 1-3 tutorial which leads into a skippable flashback that gives you your back story which ends with your being revived planet side.

8. Dragor

Dragor Cupcake

I really like the idea of a tutorial level on a space ship, escpecially when you think about the possibilities of telling some story!
  9. Khalm

Khalm New Cupcake

I like the idea, but it's not the only possibility. We can start on Nexus in some other part and fly out of the starter zone to begin our adventure, and that transport ship gets shot down. So levels 1-3 could be on Nexus still.

Like the spaceship idea though, would like to actually 'arrive' on Nexus to begin the game.
  10. Mads Bodin

Mads Bodin New Cupcake

Yes. It will be awesome.
    The background can be important in the history but i think if they dosen't make it flashback you will find out later in the history (Gameplay) :)
  11. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

Start out in orbit? Ummm, yes, please!