1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

the unsexy thread of bag space/inventory discussion

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Anhrez, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Anhrez

Anhrez Cupcake-About-Town

So in the videos I have seen there are plenty of 'drops' recorded grey, white, I saw a green on but I cannot for the life of me see any inventory/bag space ones. Does anyone have something they can point me too? Would love to start thinking about any Mods that could be of use related to inventory but we....got to figure out what is inventory. If there the old got 5 slots can be filled with bags with slots 4 to ??. Does gathered material take a spot per, stack, or do you have the ability to send it straight to the hold of you 'bank/ship'?

I have to say as much as I disliked the gathering/crafting concept in GW2 I did appreciate the gathering/inventory efforts that they created.
    clack and Aheadache like this.
  2. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

All I can say to bags is... I Hope they have it somewhat organized and allow for reasonable bag expansion. If I have to pay real cash to upgrade a freaking bag again in any game I am not going to be a happy headache.
    Anhrez likes this.
  3. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

Just give me the way GW2 handled bags/inventory. If it ain't broke...
    Anhrez likes this.
  4. clack

clack New Cupcake

Yeah man, that deposit all feature in GW2. Not only does it automatically bank useful stuff, but it saves time going through your inventory checking if its vendor trash or not. I really liked that.
  5. Haversham

Haversham Cupcake-About-Town

Bisq, for those of us that didn't play GW2, how did they handle it?
  6. Anhrez

The ability to move gathering mats out of the bags/storage sure seemed to be a no-brainier, the ability to send anything in your bags to storage sure would great.
  7. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

Don't forget shared bank for all characters. Great for guys like me with a ton of crafting alts.
    Anhrez likes this.
  8. Anhrez

I had forgotten about that, it was a nice improvement of SWTOR ability to just move stuff from bags to your ships hold, as the shared uber-inventory sure cut down on the mailing between the alts.
    So have you seen anything related to the actual inventory format yet?
  9. Rush

Rush Cupcake

Take the way GW2 does things but change it as well. Crafting storage on it's own, with the ability to trade other players (GW2 won't let you do that :p), with a mailbox you can send items through.
    Anhrez likes this.
  10. Kirathis

Kirathis Cupcake-About-Town

Now I would say GW2 was broke in a BIG way. What I mean is a VERY limited bank space that is shared by every character. Many of the other features were definitely nice, but the tiny shared bank (which I filled up with stuff by the time I was 15 on 1 toon) was a serious issue for me.

It also really comes down to how they define items. Using WoW (since most are familiar with it) as an example, someone like me will keep the random white item because it might be useful for something down the line. I cannot tell you how many times someone I know has needed something and I could just go "yup, got that". That means more and more bag space gets taken up by these items. Of course, letting stacks be larger than 5, 10 or even 20 for some items would also really help with that situation.

I know a few other members (from prior discussions) are like me in that regard. As long as inventory can be reasonably managed and items are handled well, I am fine. Oh and one big thing. Separate inventory for quest items vs general inventory PLEASE!
    Veckna and ruff_ethereal like this.
  11. Anhrez

GW2 had some interesting concepts related to space. All materials that could be used for crafting (either gathered, drops or quest rewards) could be sent to you bank with a simple action. These mats went into a 'shared' sub bank across all characters with a max count. Any amount of the craftables over the max count would then need to be shared in your bank space. So bag spaces were 'local' to the character but you would have a bank space that was shared across all toons. I agree with some of the posters here the shared bank was tough, but then again it was an easy way for GW2 to pull gold out of the game or have people spend money on micro-transactions as the only way to expand it was buy a purchase. Unlike WoW where you had bag spaces you could buy for gold and you could always find a few larger bags up the space GW2 design was all about ease for crafting and how they can encourage you to spend money to expand your bank. (imho)
    Haversham likes this.
  12. Venion

Venion New Cupcake

Hopefully bag and storage space is plentiful even if you have to spend a lot of in-game currency to get it. I still have nightmares of how limited space was in Final Fantasy XI if you tried to optimize yourself.
  13. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

Maybe its time to get back to basics. Give use one big bag and a shared bank.
  14. Anhrez

It would cut down on mailing between characters, and using the mail box as a short term 28 day bank :)
  15. Bellaby

Bellaby Well-Known Cupcake

The old video with the Aurin Esper showed the guy buying bags from a vendor, with the usual 4 slots for extra bags, and a 16 slot basic bag. That was an old video, but he just manually vendored each item.
    ruff_ethereal likes this.
  16. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

To me, having vendor trash is a problem itself. There should be a use for everything in a game, not just drops for characters to get money.

Anyway, I would like to see a special bag that you can just hand to the vendor and he buys everything in the bag and hands the bag back. That way, as I am adventuring, I can sort things as I go along, then stop by the vendor when I an done and just hand him the bag.
  17. Haversham

Haversham Cupcake-About-Town

I don't see why it has to be a special bag, why not just make it any bag? :D Love the idea.
    ruff_ethereal and Dyraele like this.
  18. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

Or that! :)
  19. Alverad

Alverad Well-Known Cupcake

With a buyback option though, or a double confirmation! What if you hand him the wrong bag ? :p I do things like that all the time.....I need nub protection... or bags that sort stuff for you, at least to a degree . Really like GW2 solution as well. From the bag for only greys, to the protected one. Especially considering GW has no in game GMs that are willing to deal with the consequences of players' silly actions.
    Kalthian, ruff_ethereal, Agon and 2 others like this.
  20. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

Good point Alverad. So, I am back to the special bag, including buyback just in case. :)