1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

the unsexy thread of bag space/inventory discussion

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Anhrez, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

Could just flag stuff as junk in your inventory (or flag as locked so it isn't sold by mistake) similar to DDO - that way you can sort everything as you go without needing a container (so it's only limited by your total inventory space and takes as much time to do as placing an item in a special bag anyway).

If they do go with vendor trash then there needs to be a 'sell junk' button on the vendor interface.
    Anhrez likes this.
  2. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

Why do we even still use the whole grey "junk" system anyway? Doesn't that feel so archaic and outdated by now?

Why does your character even pick up stuff he can't use just to sell if for a couple coppers and the merchant never even resells it because NO one but NPCs seem to desire it? I don't know, I just have always hated the "junk" <REDACTED> in MMOs and wonder why we can't just base economic rewards from killing things on quest rewards, bounty rewards, and finding an actual useful item now and then we wish to sell to other players.
    Rai and ruff_ethereal like this.
  3. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

I dont like the GW2 model. I like going to the bank, going to my house, etc. I think having a setup where you can access your bank from crafting stations would fix the real problems of WoW's inventory system.

At some point I think you have to have some mechanics that force people into areas. It's unfortunate, but I think banks are one of those systems that should stay the way they were in concept, just implemented with a bit more convenience.

There is a great opportunity with Wildstar with the housing. Make it so we have housing storage, and bank storage. We can port to our houses at any time, and access stuff we have there. When at the bank we should be able to seemlessly access house storage as well.

Basically I think it is important to have to goto the bank, but I think it is equally as important to not have to go back and forth between storage options, crafting stations, auction houses.

So for example, let us access all of our storage when we are physically at the auction house (if there is an AH, would be great if there wasnt :) )

I don't like the idea of just depositing all of the stuff in our bags when we are ass deep in a dungeon for example .. while I think even WoW is still too micro-manage oriented in terms of bank/bag space, I think GW2 is way too far in the other direction.
  4. Anhrez

Anhrez Cupcake-About-Town

With the ability to teleport 'home' from anywhere sure seems like we would have fast access to our starge and crafting areas.
  5. Malorak

Malorak Cupcake-About-Town

First of all: This game, if there are brave people out there who play it and would be willing to do that, is very addon-friendly - people who made WoW addons can just go ahead and use LUA similiar to that way and could make addons to enhance your way of inventory.
    I'd never play WoW without bagnon...Never.

BUT! Carbine are foxy grandpa's. Actually, they're rather smart. They'll probably have a good way of handling the problem and have sort-functions, a few different view modes and either upgrades or additional bags buyable without real ca$h.
  6. John

John "That" Cupcake

I like having bags that you have to manage to some degree. If its an automated process where things magically go straight to your bank/house, it feels like the game is playing for you and it also just doesn't make sense from a immersion standpoint.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Micro Teleporter as hard-to-get item in the game. It could allow you to teleport your current inventory to a different storage location say once every 24 hours.
  7. Konoko

Konoko Cupcake-About-Town

Agree with this. Make sure we have auto sort buttons. Not having auto sort in WoW was my biggest gripe. I think even Lineage2 had auto sort.
  8. Agon

Agon Cupcake

On the topic of grey loot i think it still exists because most of the time having something drop from a mob is better than nothing at all. And if you would only get useful stuff from mobs, you'd only get that every 10th mob or so. At least that's the only reason i can think of why there's still trashloot in every game i know.

I dont even mind picking it up as long as your bag space isn't very limited already. It's not really fun to destroy half your inventory every few minutes. Constricting bagspace too hard is one of the worst things in mmo's for me.
  9. lusciifi

lusciifi Cupcake-About-Town

But why couldn't gray loot just be currency drops instead. Why do we need the additional step of selling it to a vendor in the first place.
  10. Agon

Agon Cupcake

Maybe because you dont "see" currency drops. It would just add to your gold count without there beeing a physical thing. Like i said, not actually seeing loot from mobs for a while is the only reason i can think of why grey loot existed in the first place and still does today.
  11. Celtkhan

Celtkhan Well-Known Cupcake

Gray loot probably existed because of Encumbrance limits. It forced a decision on the player: max profit, or max combat performance.

In this day, VT really is past usefulness. I'd rather just get the cash and ignore the mangy wolf paws.
  12. Kalthian

Kalthian New Cupcake

I think 99-999 stacks would be great. Just my two cents (Im a fishing and gathering addict lol)
  13. lusciifi

lusciifi Cupcake-About-Town

Ive played plenty of games where the currency drop stay on the mob and you have to click it. They could also go the diablo style of monsters exploding in gold when they die if they wanted to be really dramatic
  14. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

Grey loot at least gets you back to a town or vendor to get your gold when you are max capacity so I suppose that serves some purpose a little back and forth from the field of battle.