1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

They're really calling themselves the "Exiles"?

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by popober, May 29, 2013.

1. popober

popober Cupcake-About-Town

"Brightland Badasses Inc."
  2. Valenkeit

Valenkeit New Cupcake

But their past is the reason they're all together. If the Dominion did not invade Arboria or Gnox, the Exiles wouldn't even exist.

If you grow up in Mexico, and then move to Australia, do you want to stop being Mexican? Where you come from means a lot to people.

Besides, why can't Exile be a name?
  3. Sonntam

Sonntam Cupcake-About-Town

Why wouldn't you want to be defined by that? You were all done wrong by the Dominion. Do you not want that to be known to everyone? Like: "Look what noble underdogs we are! Come join the Exiles and become a lone badass among equally cool people."

Exiles are just a cooler namet than some bureaucratic G.A.R.P. It sounds just lame and boring, it's completely worthless to the image and propaganda machine. So why bother with the whole procedure?
    Rumze likes this.
  4. popober

Because "Exile", by itself, is a simple descriptor, no matter how much it sounds cool. All it says is your homeless and you can't ever go back to where you came from. If we follow your logic of Mexico, then the exile races would be Cassians, Arboreans, and Gnoxians. So they'd be an alliance of those planets, or species with Human, Aurin, and Granok.

Stick "Exile" next to something that denotes some kind of union or purpose, and you'd have something that you can put on paper. <= All I'm looking for.
  5. popober

Hah, no. I know that sounds romantic and all, but "Forced off planet, no stable funds, and most probably won't pay you back." is not good propaganda. In any universe.

Besides, the layer of bureaucracy adds more depth to the story, a depth that you can play with. It makes it seem like the faction is actually more than shallow "Hurr durr. We're a ragtag bunch of misfits. Space Pirates! We so awesome! join us in our never-ending struggle!" A romantic idea, but not good propaganda if you want people, people who don't share your sentiments, to actually help you.
  6. quivers

quivers Cupcake

from Wikipedia (first Google result)
    Exile means to be away from one's home (i.e. city, state or country), while either being explicitly refused permission to return and/or being threatened with imprisonment or death upon return. It can be a form of punishment and solitude.[1]
    It is common to distinguish between internal exile, i.e., forced resettlement within the country of residence, and external exile, deportation outside the country of residence.[2] Although most commonly used to describe an individual situation, the term is also used for groups (especially ethnic or national groups), or for an entire government. Terms such as diaspora and refugee describe group exile, both voluntary and forced, and government in exile describes a government of a country that has been forced to relocate and argue its legitimacy from outside that country.
    Exile can also be a self-imposed departure from one's homeland. Self-exile is often depicted as a form of protest by the person that claims it, to avoid persecution or legal matters (such as tax or criminal allegations), an act of shame or repentance, or isolating oneself to be able to devote time to a particular thing.

so name fits pretty well in my opinion. we want your planet, join dominion or be destroyed! So those that left are in exile, nuff said
  7. Sonntam

Sonntam Cupcake-About-Town

People may not actually run over to your side, but they may sympathize with you. Imagine the underground traffic of movies and books with dashing Exile protagonists in their fight against the evil Dominion. Will a lowborn Cassian want to stay in the society where s/he feels opressed or set off on an adventure of their lifetime? Will newly encountered races want to join the apparently cruel and vicious Dominion or the nice Exiles? Or maybe they won't join the Exiles upfront, but help them with supplies, hoping it will get the Dominion of their backs?

It's a gamble, but you have to work with what you have. Exiles won't be able to say they are organized and as strong as the Dominion with a straight face. Might as well be upfront about it and play up your other strengths.
  8. popober

I never said the name didn't fit, it's just not an actual name. It's descriptor, as your quote happily says. Yes, it says what they are; people forced off home planets, but not who they are; people fighting for a new planet to call home without the tyranny of the Dominion.
  9. popober

Again, a romantic idea, but no. Contrary to popular belief, people who don't share your sentiments, your experiences, won't symphatize with you. What people will just see is an army of thieves and whores who couldn't keep their own houses. I'm sure most people outside Dominion control have the opinion that the empire is evil, but they won't be interested in poking an already angry dog.

They won't be able to say they're as strong with a straight face, true, but that's what propaganda is for. Instead of saying "We're running away from the Dominion. How sad." they can say "We're fighting back."

That's why rebel alliances in fiction take a name and symbol when they form, it's something to rally under. Rallying under a word that says you're a coward or a weakling that got booted out of your own house isn't that good for morale, no matter how cool the word sounds.
  10. crowsong

crowsong Cupcake-About-Town

The Exiles consist of - The (Noun)
    The Dominion consist of - The (Noun)
    They are both simple 'descriptors' (who's proper name is a noun).
    To make this point more clear simply juxtapose a synonym and watch what happens.
    The Dominion becomes --> The Authority
    The Exiles becomes --> The Relegation
    Both of these mean essentially the same thing as before, but now they are just as 'official', the name 'The Dominion' is more underwhelming then 'The Exiles' given their galactic scale, but the exiles have an excuse to their simple noun based name giving they are the one's being forced into a union(Exile's) to stay alive. This is honestly just a debate of opinion, there is no validity to the argument, but I will agree the name 'The Exiles' could be less of an underdog statement and more dominant like the 'The Dominion'. Unfortunately not much else fits.
    The Dominion - I Assume they are just the dominating factions (Obviously).
    The Exiles - I Assume they have been exiles (Once again obviously by the Dominion).
  11. popober

Dominion atleast means authority. It denotes an encompassing governmental body, a union. It doesn't just describe what they are; domineering <REDACTED>, but who they are; an evil space empire who seeks to control, or dominate, everything.

Exile just means you got kicked out of your home. But if that's the vision you wanna run your people with, go ahead.
  12. crowsong

crowsong Cupcake-About-Town

Idk, maybe my point was hitting a brick wall. Those are all implications you are pulling from your personal repertoire, I agree that is what dominion implies, but the exile's implies a group of people who have been forced abroad . It was certainly a good choice of names to indicate who is the prominent faction in terms of power, but it also indicates who holds the moral high-card. Which is ultimately lore debacle, but they both carry equal weight from my perspective. Which is my point, its ultimately a perspective thing, which makes a good name! Something too official allows zero imagination.
  13. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

Ok for literal names how about, "Group of different space faring races that have betrayed or been persecuted by the Dominion desperately trying to settle on Nexus". That's SO much better than The Exiles.
    Kethrym likes this.
  14. Dualist

Dualist Cupcake-About-Town

I wonder if it would make a difference if "The Exiles" is changed to "The Exiled". Kind of gives off a different tone imo.

Also, something like "The Rebellion" may have been more fitting in some ways but I feel like in contrast to "The Dominion" it may have come off too rhymey. Also, im sure Carbine wanted to avoid unnecessary comparisons to other well known sci-fi franchises.

I see what popober is saying though, The Exiles makes it sound like they're running, but the fact is that The Exiles have in fact been running. They haven't been fighting an open war with The Dominion, or even a Guerilla war. Part of the reason why they've decided to dig in for the long haul on Nexus is because it's practically a hail mary.
  15. Kaelang

Kaelang Cupcake-About-Town

Exiles don't need some silly union name like 'Dominion'.

Please, we're not desperate.
    Rumze likes this.
  16. popober

All I keep saying is that Exile, by itself, makes a poor official name. I never said they weren't exiles, I never said it didn't fit them, I never said anything about morality, I never said anything about things being from our perspectives. The thread title itself indicated that they'd be saying it themselves, in-universe.

Why people seem to think that I believe the name didn't fit them, I have no idea because keep saying that it does. From a narrative perspective, the term garners sympathy from readers of the story, not to mention it's a plain cool word. In-universe is a completely different thing.

Building a group under a name that means something so dire is simply a bad call. You're not gonna get alliances that way from people who aren't exiles. You're plastering a word on your face that means you couldn't keep your own house, why should people trust you if they don't want to lose theirs? An "official" name needs no imagination, that's what propaganda is for, you're looking from a purely narrative perspective. Fans called them simply the Rebels and the Empire in Star Wars, cool and scary words respecively, but in-universe they were the Rebel Alliance, against the Galactic Empire.

But I'm not talking about narrative.

Official, in-universe, something that can sound even remotely close to an actual group, something to put on paper. Something that says "Fighter" instead of "Runaway". Something that says "We're gonna fight tooth and nail for Nexus." instead of "You booted us off our rocks. Boohoo." Something to rally under.
  17. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

All i have to say in this thread right now i:
    "AHHHHHHH YOU USED MY NICKNAME FOR THEM(from before i joined the Dominion - For the Emperor!!)!!!! :D SQUEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! YAY FOR SOMEONE PICKING UP MY NICKNAME!!!!!"
    Rumze likes this.
  18. popober

Technically they're not rebelling, though resistance of rule is some form of rebellion I guess, but they're not fighting back at all. But that's just it, they're no longer just the "Exiles", they're no longer running. They've found a world they want to, and will, fight for, you'd think they'd want to communicate that point.

I did say the name was creative before, right? And also...

TRAITOR. GET OUT OF HERE AND RUN BACK TO YOUR FABULOUS POINTY-EARED EMPEROR KEFKA!!!
    Xlugon Pyro and Kataryna like this.
  19. PackOfHighly

PackOfHighly New Cupcake

I really think Exiles is supposed to represent how scrappy they are. Maybe they don't have anything more official sounding so they appropriated a term that had probably been hurled at them as an insult for some time now as a nickname and they nickname is all they have
    Rumze likes this.
  20. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

The whole "exile" thing is really all they have in common.

But... they made their union official with the Exile Accords, right? How about... Accordians? :)
    Huffle Puff and Xlugon Pyro like this.