1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

They're really calling themselves the "Exiles"?

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by popober, May 29, 2013.

1. Sakorath67

Sakorath67 Cupcake

I love the term Exile. It is very romantic. For all of these races to be forced from their home-worlds (unwillingly mind you) and then use the term Exile -which usually has a negative connotation about it- is purely genius and romantic. These people have only done what they feel is right and have been punished for it greatly. I think The Exiles is one of the best names for a faction to this date. It has so much emotion to it considering their pasts. The Dominion has no emotion to it. It is a statement of authority.
    Zwipe, eselle8, Rumze and 1 other person like this.
  2. Nesphito

Nesphito Cupcake

Yeah the Exiles isn't an ideal name. It sounds like something the Dominion would call the Exiles, but not something a dignified group of people would willingly call themselves. I guess Horde and Alliance aren't the greatest names either.

I do however like the fact that the Exiles are exiles, it gives them a feeling like they have lost something important. I just don't like the actual name for an organized society/ military force.

It would be cool if the factions had nicknames that opposite faction called them. For exmaple the Dominion would call them The Exiles but they call themselves The Resistance (just as an example).
    Luc likes this.
  3. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

"Exile can also be a self-imposed departure from one's homeland. Self-exile is often depicted as a form of protest by the person that claims it, to avoid persecution or legal matters (such as tax or criminal allegations), an act of shame or repentance, or isolating oneself to be able to devote time to a particular thing."

Alternate definitions, there you go OP!

The humans were a self-exile, as the description first states. The Granok were literally exiled from their own people, after wiping the Dominion. Sounds like most of the Aurin were exiled from their planet due to take over by the Dominion.

Each Exile race has a different definition of "Exile", but the term still applies to each. So I find it perfectly fine. Plus 1/4 of the factor is unrevealed. This may be a large factor, since they're most likely undead-ish and the Exile logo is a skull.
  4. Carnatia

Carnatia New Cupcake

I am sure people already mentioned it, but to tough on someone saying there was no politics or hand shaking, but there was in the Exile Accord between the Humans, Granok and Aurin soon after the Aurin joined the fleet. I cannot find my links for it at the moment, but there is a document officially calling themselves Exiles.

I think for the time being they will remain Exiles too as long as the Dominion is a super power and being bullies to all the other races it comes along too. So being an Exile just burns it to the Dominion too in a way, saying we won't be a part of what you're are, and they're not. You know?

I think it is fitting.
    Kethrym likes this.
  5. GoutTheScout

GoutTheScout New Cupcake

Do you think any sci-fi medium will ever be able to use the term Rebels for an organized rebellion anymore? Or Empire for a galaxy spanning empire? It's sort of become like people in the zombie apocalypse being unable to call them zombies... while I scream the TV, "YOU KNOW WHAT THEY ARE, JUST SAY IT!"
    Sonntam and Apostate like this.
  6. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

Why were all the Monty Python jokes used up on the first page... :(
  7. Kethrym

Kethrym Well-Known Cupcake

Well we can't just let Monty Python jokes sit there unused.......I mean come on.......;)
  8. Tiqua

Tiqua New Cupcake

In them days, we used to not even have first pages!
  9. Deimos

Deimos Cupcake

10. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

Pretty much this, honestly. It's also just taking something others might call you in a derogatory way and "owning it" to take away their power over you with the label. Happens all the time. :)
  11. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

A lot of people IRL could learn from that. XD
  12. Cretz

Cretz Cupcake

It was either Exiles or Grove Street Families.
  13. Inimicus

Inimicus Cupcake

I think the Dominion probably referred to the as "Exiles" in a derogatory manner and so they adopted it to say a big F you to the Dominion coz they don't care what the Dominion think or call them.

P.S. Love all the Monty Python references flying about.

P.P.S. SPLITTERS!!
    Nesphito likes this.
  14. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

The Exiles might not see themselves as a permanently unified force. The Aurin and the Granok resisted being assimilated into a large, bureaucratic empire, and the Humans broke away from it. They might not want to promote themselves as some kind of an organized, multi-race government. Maybe they prefer to be seen as a temporary alliance of autonomous, free races who are working together because they have similar goals. Given that, why not pick a name that reflects what's making them work together - the fact that they all feel they've been unfairly forced away from their people and their planets?

I don't think Exiles is as negative as a label as people are interpreting it. There are recent and current examples of groups who've called themselves exiles or a diaspora. They don't consider it an undignified word at all.
    Sonntam likes this.
  15. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

Because the other option was to be called Trailer Trash.
    Sonntam likes this.
  16. Lsya

Lsya Cupcake-About-Town

We could be the Coalition Against Tyrranical Spaceraiders!

With the Cat Bunnies in charge of course. ;)
  17. Zwipe

Zwipe Cupcake

Exiles sounds perfect, fits with the attitude of the faction.

If the Exiles were uniting to form a bigger nation, fine. But I believe politics is not their goal. Their goal is getting their "____" back . ;p
    eselle8 likes this.
  18. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

While the Dominion exiled Serrick and his merry band initially, I can well imagine that they took on the moniker of the "Exiles" - the very fact that the Dominion consider them as not fitting in and being Exiles is something they are proud of!

As they have the Exile Academy of Science (XAS) as an oganisation, I suspect that the signatory races of the Exile Accords are happy with the name!
  19. Lucky

Lucky New Cupcake

Exile..Disgraaaace...*cue Lion King song*...

Even if they manage to settle on the new planet they'd still be considered outcasts and exiles and possibly invaders by everyone else, especially since Dominion races might have a higher claim over Nexus(Luminai&Mechari).

*cough* Anywho, it's funny how the Exile that found the planet Nexus for them was considered a crackpot by everyone for even looking for it in the first place and when he DID find it, suddenly everyone is happy and he is forgotten. He's barely mentioned beyond "one of us, Exiles", when before finding Nexus most didn't really want to associate with him :p

It's like the Pandaren Quote from WoW"Everyone always laughs at the explorer, until he returns" XD
  20. Airhammer

Airhammer Cupcake

Exiles works great. They were exiled for their homeworlds and they'll soon be exiled from Nexus.
    Sonntam and Apostate like this.