1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

This article seem 'off' to you guys?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Khalm, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Khalm

Khalm New Cupcake

http://www.incgamers.com/Previews/337/wildstar-eyes-on

Paul Younger says I couple of things that I had not heard, one I know to be misleading and the other I am not sure of.

Obviously, you have classes, races AND paths.

Does player paths have anything to do with how fast and in what style you are killing yetis?

2. Dragor

Dragor Cupcake

Seems like someone didn´t understand the concept of Wildstar... again.
    And I dont think that the path has anything to do with the challanges. They are open for everyone.
  3. VooDoo

VooDoo Cupcake-About-Town

a bit off but there was seperation between paths and quests in the article. it does seem very brief, sort of like the writer didnt get any hands on with the game

*edit* just realized the title is "hands on" in the subject. i find it hard to believe.
  4. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

I think the author is getting the presentation piece where Carbine speak about the hunters and beasts by the tree, where Scientists can scan, Explorers could climb the tree, etc. as "other ways to complete the quest" - not from a hands on experience.

As the focus was very much on the Player Paths in that presentation, he may well have got the wrong idea.
  5. souper

souper Founding Member

Several articles have called the Soldier, Settler, Scientist, and Explorer "classes" without mention of the real classes. Dunno why its so confusing for these guys. :confused:
  6. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

When I read this article earlier today, I thought the author was drunk when he wrote it. The amount of typos was funny. Looks like some of them have been fixed, but a few still remain...

Anyway, yeah, yet another person who seems to believe the path system will replace the class system - which it obviously won't. He's clearly had no "hands-on" time with the game at all, or he'd know this isn't true. As for the second quote Khalm pulled out, I think Zap-Robo has the best explanation for that bit.
  7. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

He didn't necessarily have to be drunk when he wrote it, he could have been drunk when he played and didn't pay attention so he had to read articles to get the basics. The beginning of the article is the clue to me:

It seems like the article is based on second hand knowledge and not actual gameplay.
  8. Autumnal

Autumnal Cupcake-About-Town

Well, Team WildStar ought be well rested, by now. Perhaps, (and this is only a mild observation, Carbine/NCSoft) that perhaps "World" and "Features" tabs on the WilStar Website should now be populated with the basic known talking points, and FAQ. Gamescom, (Aug 20th) is the last post, which is still recent, but a lot of coverage and interest has been generated, since then. I believe the WS site is due for a refresh.

I only say this because without consolidated Official word in one place, Carbine/NCSoft is inadvertently allowing word to spread via the media reviews, only, and as the above article indicates, that may not always be helpful. People wanting to learn more will of course go to the Official site first, and "coming soon" re-directs them to "just google it". A good majority of people aren't going to use a "search" function, even here at WSC, so it's vitally important that "all questions WildStar" are professionally addressed, from the top, down. Have a YouTube account? Great! However, I question how many questions will be "kinda" answered by sifting through videos, as opposed to having an all-in-one "Talking Points" feature at Official. Relying on Social Media sites like Twitter and Facebook should be *in addition* to the Official site, not as "an alternative to", imo.

If we're lucky, they find us here, at WildStar Central, and we , The Rabid, will field questions as best we can. If we're less fortunate, confusing mis-information is what gets spread word-of-mouth, muddying the understanding of what WS truly is. I don't think that's a gamble we have to even take.

Since "Time is of the essence", information has to be Official, concise, and readily accessible. Let them get all their info needs met at WS Official, and let them share their enthusiasm, and Community, here at WSC. "Peanut Butter and Chocolate", people. (and hey, a "fansite" link at WS Official to WSC will help keep prospective new players engaged, with like-minded Community while we all collectively wait.)

Now that we face "the lull" between reveals and updates, it's crucially important that we have Unified information "from above", so that we, as fans, can relay, and direct them to, The Official word.
    ImmortalExile likes this.
  9. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

Excellent post, Autumnal. And I agree 110%.
    When I first discovered WildStar I immediately went to the site. And seeing that all I could do is watch the trailer and sign up for beta I was a little "Awwww, shucks."
    So an update to the official site is very important I think. Developer Diary, Screens, Videos, Art, World Info/Lore, Race Info, Class Info, and of course... The Store!