1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

This pic alone makes me want to roll a Warrior

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Embermouth, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Hell, one weapon type per class sounds awful...

ok, ok, I know, wrong thread.

*exits stage left*
  2. Anhrez

Anhrez Cupcake-About-Town

So would you speculate that this is :
    • dye after the item created - which could mean you can change the color ongoing
    • dye in the crafting of the item which would allow the creation of same items with different looks at time of crafting
    • part of the weapon as a whole, but maybe something like a transmogrification can adjust
  3. martymo

martymo Cupcake

I'm probably going to get some hate but I thought the exact same thing, it honestly looks like they ripped that war's armor right out of world of warcraft.
  4. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

I'd speculate that it's just different sword weapon skins.

Unsure if you can actually dye weapons, though that would be very, very nice.
  5. Anhrez

Anhrez Cupcake-About-Town

I was thinking the same thing Patrician, would be an easy way to add slight configuration changes without a large complicated re-creation/or transmog process. Creates a huge market for dyes, as player could make slight weapon changes on demand
  6. Ashiktara

Ashiktara Cupcake

I am totally ok with them stealing and improving :p i just saw the horns and thought THAT MUSSTTT be a warrior because it looks just like my Tier 5 !
    bitbandit likes this.
  7. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

I'm grateful to Wildstar for all the cool character creation options, and all the awesome housing options and incredible ways they tie in with the rest of the game. Having said that the fact that they have everything be customizable from character to UI to housing and attributes and skills.

Their tagline is play your own way it really does kinda make this seem silly by contrast. They already have devoted a lot of time to allowing everyone to be unique so why avoid this specifically? I know they gave a couple reasons but more and more they just don't seem to hold water when you consider what they've already done.
    Mudfin likes this.
  8. Embermouth

Embermouth Cupcake

This isnt the only game to limit a each class to one weapon type. Look at past MMO's, Aion, TERA, FFXIV (granted you could switch weapons but that changed your class immediately).

It makes sense, it doesnt mean there arent going to be tons of variations of weapons for each class. I think he said in the video posted an hour or so ago, the housing customization has 20x of any game to date MMO wise. Then he went on to say, weve done the exact same thing with character customization...so I am not alarmed at all.

I think it makes each class that much more special, you dont have 2-3 classes who can all use 1h,2h swords, maces and shields all rolling for a piece of gear in instances. Which this is going to be nice for, a weapon drops...you know whos going to get it...unless its a raid and you have more than one of that class but it does simplify that aspect.
  9. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

I'm not worried either, I know it's mostly a fluff thing and when Wildstar comes out with or without it I'm gonna play. I do agree though that it does seem silly to have multiple options in practically every other aspect of the game except this.

It wouldn't necessarily have to create loot drama, Warriors could use swords, axes, polearms and other stuff give a bit of variety to the look and possibly the animations of their abilities. Spellslingers pistols, rifle, etc. each class could have a few options, don't even have to overlap. Again not gamebreaking by any stretch, simply odd.
  10. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

The minute you give other weapon types to classes you have to code and animate animations for all the races, both male and female, and make sure nothing clips too bad either when things are holstered/put away.

For example. We know a rifle class is coming (or we suspect). Look at the current animations a Spellslinger has. He kneels down and fires both weapons with one attack, with another attack he leans to the side and fires one blast with a gun, then another. On his teleport attack he leaps forward with both pistols out to the side and fires them as he teleports through a mob.

Now imagine how many skills might exist in game. Now imagine that each of those skills must be a different animation for each race, and each sex within that race as well. Now add a rifle to the class. You have to animate ALL that stuff all over again and make sure nothing clips and it all looks smooth.

Not to mention a "Spellslinger" has a certain "feel," and giving him a rifle suddenly takes a bit of that away.

I am all for as many variations as possible with my class, and if this had never been done before I might also be worried. However, it has been done before in countless MMOs in the past few years and honestly, I don't think anyone has ever complained about it as long as their are a plethora of unique skins in game for each weapon type. :)
  11. Bellaby

Bellaby Well-Known Cupcake

Yeah, I'd say single weapon types definitely add character to a class. It makes them...iconic, like a Jedi with a Lightsaber, or a Samurai with a Katana, or a hillbilly with a blunderbuss.
  12. SteveDiggler24

SteveDiggler24 Cupcake-About-Town

A hillbilly with a blunderbuss... lol

Truthfully, I had to accept that Wildstar, at launch, was going to have restrictions on 1 weapon per class.

But this has become much easier with everything else that has been released about the game, and with the confirmed wardrobe system, the ability to individualize each of your characters will be attainable.

One thing I did not like about WOW was that the most advanced players of each class all looked the same. While it gains some prestige to have a set graphic for the best gear, it's not a rewarding experience to now look like everyone else in your raid group.

There are several ways Carbine can do it, but I hope a system is implemented that rewards the elder game player base with the opportunity to customize their look, just like housing, to keep the individualism going.
  13. Celtkhan

Celtkhan Well-Known Cupcake

And one thing I did not like about WoW was that equipping a different weapon had little to no effect on how you played. A Hammer warrior might have a random, proc-based, relatively worthless stun, while Greatsword would occasionally give you a random, proc-based, relatively worthless bleed. No matter what, you were still Slamming, Mortal Striking, and Rending just like every other warrior with your spec.

Whereas with City, GW2, or TSW, what weapon you're holding is intimately tied to how you play. You couldn't change weapons in City, as it was chosen alongside powerset, but in GW2 or TSW, you have the option to completely revamp gameplay by picking up a new smackystick.

Granted, WS doesn't have the option to switch weapons yet. But by restricting the initial weapon choices, they leave open the option to do so in future
  14. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Wow, after reading the last few posts on the one weapon deal I'm amazed at the support and the buying the animations thing. I can't buy that. Why have the vast majority of games allowed more than one weapon per class if the animations are so difficult. Am I just not understanding something?

I do accept the fact that this is the way it is and I'll play anyway. Right now it keeps me from playing a Warrior or a stalker as I don't like swords for a warrior (rather be swinging a monster hammer or morningstar ) and I'd rather have daggers, small clubs or laser blade or something other than Wolverine claws.

Definitely not trying to be hard headed I just don't get it.
    /shrug
  15. Evion

Evion WildStar Haiku Winner 2012

Hey Mudfin, let me see if I can hopefully help break it down for you. Going to use WoW since that model viewer is what I'm most familiar with. WoW had a lot of weapons, designated 1h, 2h, etc. Each weapon had a couple animations associated with it. You'd have a forward strike, an over-hand strike, thrust, and maybe a parry. Multiply that by how many weapon types there are, say about 8 (1h, 2h, dual, pole arm, gun, bow, crossbow, wands) so you'd get 28 animations. Add casting animations for directed, omni, channeled spells. That's about 31 animations per race. The key here is the animations are getting reused for lots of abilities with different particle effects.

Now for Wildstar, take every ability and give it a different animation. If we look at the demo builds, characters look to have about 30 abilities, and that's not necessarily final. That's 30 animations right there per race, with 8 races, same as what WoW launched with. They don't have the employee numbers or budget necessary to multiply that by 2, 3, or 4. You'd be looking at 60, 90, 120 animations PER RACE. To get this game done ANY time within the next year, because they chose ability uniqueness and class feel, they had to sacrifice weapon variety.

It's still something we can hope for in expansions, but it still has to feel right for the class. Is it still a spellslinger if they're not using dual-pistols?

Edit: I also forgot to mention that WoW used the same animations for weapons across each class. My hunter would swing her daggers just like a rogue of the same race. All their differences came from particle effects. Wildstar is using unique animations across classes. So that's 8 races x 6 classes x 30 abilities = 1440 animations. WoW has roughly 8 starting races x 31 weapon animations = 248 animations, roughly. That's a pretty big difference.

Edit Edit: Lol, this is what I get for doing this on a time crunch between sessions, while trying to eat. So let's amend that math since not every race can be ever class. We'll round down, say humans have every one and others get 3 each. So 6+3x6= 24. So 24 x 30 = 720 animations. A lower number, but still over twice as many character animations as Vanilla WoW launched with.
  16. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

So, Evion, thanks, but are you trying to tell me that every ability in this game will have a different animation and each race that can perform those abilities will have different animations for that ability, too?

I think I'd rather have weapon variety, LOL.
  17. Evion

Evion WildStar Haiku Winner 2012

That is indeed what I'm saying. I just hope it helps you understand where the argument about animation and weapon limitations is coming from. That you'd rather have more weapon types than animations is fine, that's your personal taste. I know in my personal opinion (and thus has no impact on anyone else!!) I'd love to see more stellar animations like we've seen in the videos released. I shall have to wait and see if my hopes are rewarded and things pan out. :)
    Rizzalliss, Kataryna and Patrician like this.
  18. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

I would never want to give up the amazing animations either. Having my character move in such awesome ways far and away exceeds my need or desire to be able to give them a different weapon.

I may be weird though, because I actually prefer iconic weapons for each class as long as there is a plethora of different skins for them.

But as Evion said, this is just personal taste. I'm just lucky I suppose that so far in this aspect of the game my personal taste matches exactly what the developers are creating.
    Kataryna, ruff_ethereal and Evion like this.
  19. Cassp

Cassp Cupcake

Have they actually said its going to be sword only? if not, by one weapon type they may mean any 2 hander.
  20. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

We've only seen swords, but we've seen some pretty varied sword designs too. I think the arm tech changes as well, that thing the warrior makes the energy attacks come out if.

Some of the varied Stalker wrist blades are also quite different in how they look, to the point where the only think similar about the weapons is they are attached to the forearms.