1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Thoughts on the Spellslinger class

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Agon, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Agon

Agon Cupcake

Hey there,

yesterday i watched some videos of different classes (warrior, stalker and spellslinger) and while i was set on playing a spellslinger at the start i have to say...it looked like the most "boring" combat out of the 3. It just didnt look as fluid as when the stalker was fighting, dodging everything that was coming at him all the while attacking. Now i have no idea if the guy playing said spellslinger just didn't care about moving while fighting the npcs but i have read that for making melee classes viable in pvp, the ranged attacks (or at least some) root you in place. Now my concern is that the actual range wasn't impressive at all, only one skill seemed to have a huge range but more widths then length.

To me it looked like the spellslingers attacks were at most double the range of the stalkers telegraphed attacks and in my opinion that doesnt actually justify rooting you in place. Also if thats the range spellslingers and maybe the other ranged classes (so far esper) get, 40 man raids might look a bit stupid with basicly everyone beeing in melee range of mobs.

Here is the video i'm talking about btw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1DkAPbNhXA (spellslinger)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2drSLGGQ8ME (stalker)
  2. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

Spellslingers are actually getting more mobile. Many players complained about this "rooting," and the Dev team are working on making our pistol-wielding magicians quicker on their feet.

Thank you for your input. Remember: the devs are listening.
    jonbones and InnocentCivilian like this.
  3. Agon

Agon Cupcake

Where did you get that from? I googled it before i posted here and didn't find anything about the subject.

Thanks for your answer though, really appreciate it.
  4. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

Agon likes this.
  5. Agon

Agon Cupcake

6. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

That 'auto' attack cone can be done while moving as well, there was a series of vids from the latest PAX where the guy at first stood still during the channel but later on worked out he could move around firing.
    Not sure about other attacks but didn't appear to be anything with a lengthy 'stand still' cast time although of course it was low level stuff and I didn't see the 'big nuke' style blast I've seen in earlier vids (just the slow, blink, flame dot and channelled autoattack).
  7. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

It'c called spellslinger because gunslinger was already taken somwhere else, and some changes had to be made. ;)
  8. Xandita

Xandita Cupcake

I actually like spellslinger. Looks fun.
  9. Rawhide

Rawhide Cupcake

One of the things I learned as a trooper in SWTOR was that it helped me enjoy the class more if I added what was actually "unnecessary" movement as I fought.

Most fights could be done from start to finish merely standing point blank with the mob and blasting away, but it looked silly.

If I moved around, ran to what was actually unneeded cover, etc., I was rewarded with a more "fun" combat style.

Even if the Devs don't master ranged interaction completely, that's no reason not to have fun with the class.
    ruff_ethereal likes this.
  10. TehTic

TehTic Cupcake

11. SuperomegaOP

SuperomegaOP New Cupcake

I hope they dont have to many abilities that root you in place, i mean i understand that to a degree for casters but the combat needs to be fluid when strafing like wow/swtor

if they have abilities that are instant but require you to stand still for the "animation" then its gonna be really restrictive especially for pvp. Hell they could bring it a step further and have some castable/channeled stuff be able to cast while on the move, i think stalker has a channel dmg skill but i dont know if your able to move while doing so
  12. Geldarion

Geldarion New Cupcake

I brought up this very concern at Arkship, and they said that the current build of the Spellslinger had undergone major changes since the build we played there. Not sure what exactly all of what the changes were of course, but I do know that they said that mobility is as important to them as it is to us, especially in PvP. From what I have seen of all the videos, it looks like they were using that old build.
  13. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

The PAX East Build was one major revision along from the Arkship Build but yes, the Spellslinger improvements still weren't in yet.
  14. Evion

Evion WildStar Haiku Winner 2012

Aye, neither were the overly-sensitive dodge fixes. These things should HOPEFULLY be ready to go for Beta. ;)
  15. JCwildthing

JCwildthing Cupcake

I think most of the rooting issues will be addressed during beta if not before. There needs to be a balance between each class on terms of DPS and survivability. Hypermobility or hypomobilty extremes are bad for obvious reasons. I trust that the devs are hard at work on this as we speak :).
  16. AgenecyWR

AgenecyWR New Cupcake

Honestly, its my type of class! I've had my eyes set on it for awhile and I'm pleased with it so far! And they are still working on the overall class which is great...So further changes will come!

But one thing is, we do have a teleport ability, so I believe we would also have some roots and snares to keep us as far away from the enemy as possible while still dealing damage. If I can stay mobile for half the time of any other class, but have more snares and slows I would be fine with that! And the guy in the video, is not 'good' at all he was just standing in the telegraphs pretty much...
  17. mge_br

mge_br Cupcake

I pretty sure they are gonna make the class more nimble, the official discription of the class says the mobility is one of the main caracteristics of the class: " Along with their deadly weapons, Spellslingers also use acrobatic agility to quickly move around the battlefield"

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/the-game/classes/spellslinger.php
  18. Agon

Agon Cupcake

I know he stood in the telegraphs but that was because he was actually rooted from his own skills i think. At least i saw him play another class (think it was stalker) and he was perfectly able to dodge everything. That was the main reason why i created the topic in the first place, cause i really want to play the class but i was sceptical after watching those videos.

Thanks to ethereal my doubts/fears got cleared though.
  19. Sasquatauch

Sasquatauch New Cupcake

Immobilizing of any kind is a tricky balance. In PvE it's typically not a big deal unless you're in a perma-state. However I think anyone who has done PvP a time or two knows that's a whole other ball-o-angry-cats.

I remember back in the DAoC days when mez's ruled the roost in WvW. Whichever group got theirs off first won nearly every time. In more recent games it has gotten better, but still could use some work.

So while I'm fine with immobilizing, having a way to get out of them AND not get put right back into it as soon as you break it, as well as implementing diminishing returns across the board regardless of who stuns you would be my vote for that mechanic.
  20. Loken

Loken New Cupcake

Yeah PBAOE was devastating in DAOC, a good Skald could lock you down so his mates could melt you down lol. Diminishing returns are definitely needed if this is going to be implemented.