1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Too many super cereal guilds.

Discussion in 'Guilds, Circles and Warparties General' started by Derkkull, May 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derkkull

Derkkull New Cupcake

I just don't understand why there are so many super cereal guilds. They make them out to be like fraternities and sororities with all these requirements. If you have to go through all the work of applying and being initiated into the guild as a "potential" homie, I think you should get the title "poser". Real ballers recognize other ballers. I'm not about to sit around and watch all these dudes and chicks going hard to get into these little wanna be groups. It's time for the real ballers to stand up and reconize each other instead of trying to get in with these go hards. Real OG's raise your hands please. SVG, stand down kids.
    Kritarie, Baamz, Azzurri and 2 others like this.
  2. Thrice

Thrice Cupcake

3. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

4. Derkkull

Derkkull New Cupcake

Looks like your gifs gots the poopy time faces going on.
  5. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

/popcorn
  6. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

Because I admire the degree and extent of the OP's subversiveness (truly, he is a baller among ballers), I would like to add my own GIF to this exchange:

[​IMG]
    Androssi, JarNod, Xlugon Pyro and 2 others like this.
  7. Derkkull

Derkkull New Cupcake

Thanks bro.
  8. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

Bravo

[​IMG]
    Aheadache and Derkkull like this.
  9. Thrice

Thrice Cupcake

[​IMG]
    Ianpact likes this.
  10. Nunchi

Nunchi Cupcake

[​IMG]
    Dauthis likes this.
  11. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

I just love this gif too much to not like it... What were we arguing about?
  12. Risetta

Risetta New Cupcake

Well, technically guilds have certain criteria to enter, just like the job you work at.
  13. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

I think that's his point, it's a game not a job.
    Androssi and Huffle Puff like this.
  14. Risetta

Risetta New Cupcake

Yes, but people want to belong somewhere with like minded people. I never went to a frat party or been in a sorority but I want to be in a guild with people who do what I want to do. If I want to be in a hardcore guild putting in 20 hours a week then I should find such a guild; if I wanted to be in a casual guild with people who just run around and do stuff together then I should be able to find such a guild; if I want to be in a PvP guild to test my strength and kill other people then I should be able to find such a guild. The great thing about all these guilds is that people have "choices" and the freedom to pick what suits their tastes.
  15. Nintarie

Nintarie New Cupcake

There are different guilds for different people, but when a Guild has an extensive application process it's usually to make sure that you are a like-minded person who will work well with what the guild stands for. It's not a crime to wish to ensure that the members you invite hold the same priorities and morals as the rest of the guild, that's simply ensuring that the Guild stays true to nature.

The Guild I've joined, Enigma, has an extensive application process where you first write an application, and if the application is approved you come for an interview on Team Speak. I'd never gone through a process like it before, but you know what? I love what Enigma stand and strive for and because of that I had no issue with going through that process.

If you don't want to go through that kind of process to join a guild then that's all fine and dandy, but you should refrain from acting like all Guilds that hold a certain standard when it comes to their applications all have a stick in an awkward place.
    Ianpact, Microwavves, Nyxis and 6 others like this.
  16. Gyoin

Gyoin New Cupcake

As a person who helps run a community with a (somewhat) extensive application process, it's exactly like Nintarie states. It's for us to keep like minded people within our community. With our application process, we ask for a few posts for us to get to know the person, and then to submit an application that talks about some gamer history. We weigh our applications WAY more on the person than the in-game achievements they've done. You can be a <REDACTED>ty player, an amazing elite hardcore raider, but at the core we want to build our community up as a social experience (with a hint of hardcore-ism). If we just let everyone in as it pleases, that can sometimes create a toxic environment. We've all seen it. Keeping an application process does exactly what it serves, bring in the people that will keep the community strong and weed out the people that just want to ruin it (to the best you can).
    Ianpact, Nyxis, Calsic and 2 others like this.
  17. Albireo20

Albireo20 New Cupcake

I'm with Gyoin and Nintarie on this one and can't really understand the problem of the thread creator.

Like they said before, you have a choice so if you don't like a hard application process than search for a guild that doesn't have one, there are plenty of them around, but then there is the possibility that the guild will have toxic people who poison the atmosphere and destroy the guild, it doesn't need to be this way but it can be a lot easier than within a guild where every new member is tested in the application process if he/she is a good addition to the guild or will cause problems.

When I'm a guild leader I always want to talk to people beforehand, so that I can make sure they are suitable for the guild and we all can have fun together without anything that disturbs the harmony within the guild ;)

So don't see guilds with a hard application process as something bad, just accept that these guilds are cautious who they let in there guild to make sure everyone has fun and nobody has to feel like they don't fit in :)
  18. Dracor

Dracor New Cupcake

I've always hated the application process, I've been fairly lucky to just fall into the larger guilds I've been apart of, from either playing enough with certain people in other parts of the game, or just from talking to them about similar things.

I do however fully understand why it's there. If you've been a part of a larger guild who have to spend sometimes very long hours together at a time, you can really feel when there is an individual who is just toxic to the entire experience. A few people can ruin it for everyone. Most of the time it's not even about being the best of the best, anyone can get good, games are not hard it's more about whether or not you mesh with everyone else, and what everyone is trying to accomplish as a whole.

For me, interviews and <REDACTED> suck, I'm bad at selling myself, never have liked it. I like to build a group of friends out of just being good at what I do, and trying not to be an <REDACTED> to people. For many, that's enough.
    Androssi, Huffle Puff and Albireo20 like this.
  19. Albireo20

Albireo20 New Cupcake

And I can understand you Dracor, I'm not good in selling myself either :)

But like I said before if I'm guild leader I do an application process, because it's my guild and I want it to be like a online home for all my members, where they can have fun and find new friends, maybe not just ingame but in real life too and especially for this reason you need to look out who you invite.

But I also invite people without application process when I (or one of my members) know them through playing together for a while and I (or the member) could see there that they will fit in perfectly.

For me a guild isn't just some bunch of people I play with a few times, like you said Dracor, you spend a lot of time with these people, hours, days, weeks, month and sometimes even years in the same guild, this is a thing a lot of people who aren't playing MMO's don't get, guilds are for us MMO gamers just like the sports team for a football player or other groups were you spend a lot of time with the same activity. So it's totally normal that you try to keep it alive with people who fit in and that all people can have fun and find friends and do the things they love.

Sure there are guilds who are just "professional" and don't want to find friends, but in this case the application process makes sense because like in a job (I know it's a game) they need people who know what they do and don't have to learn everything from scratch.

But like I said before I really can understand people who are saying "This is a game, I'm here to have fun and I don't want to apply for it like it was a job in real life" and for these people are the guilds where you don't have to apply, for people who want to make sure they get an environment where they can be sure that it's monitored who get's in and if the person is suitable for the guild, I think it shouldn't be that big of a deal to apply properly even if it's a little annoying ;)

But in the end everybody needs to make the decision for themselfs :)
    Nintarie likes this.
  20. Nintarie

Nintarie New Cupcake

I didn't sell myself at all when I applied for Enigma, I was honest about myself as a person and my problems, because they weren't looking for someone who could sell themselves well, they were looking for who I am as a person, and that meant being honest. So, rest assured you don't need to be able to make yourself look like the best thing since sliced bread to get into a guild that has an application process. :p
    Albireo20 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.