1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Top 3 features your least excited about / wanna see changed.

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Backpedaling, May 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rene

Rene New Cupcake

1. Flying mounts. I am not alone in this, but no flying mounts in open world please. It would be fine to have a zone for flying mounts. Like some sort of flying islands archipelago.
    2. One-word-only names. Two words are great. One word - not so much. I enjoy my less than unique name and I like when my characters share the same surname.
    3. Heirloom items. I don't know if it in or not. But I hate this feature in WoW and I hope there are none of this <REDACTED> in Wildstar. Why I hate it? Not only because it makes people who spend more time in the game than me, stronger than me. But also because it makes all other gear next to useless. You get one gear to level with through the game and your inner munchkin doesn't let you to wear anything else.

I'm not worried about one weapon type per class. It was ok in SW:TOR and it's going to be ok in Wildstar. Besides, I friggin' love dual pistols.
    Milamilou likes this.
  2. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

There is going to be a wardrobe system and a dye system with three separate dye channels

We don't know anything about how the UI will be customized at this point, or at least they haven't talked about it in depth at all.
  3. Seagrey

Seagrey Cupcake-About-Town

I would really love to have customizable mounts. I really don't like 'armored' mounts very much. Too much fufu.

Give me a beautiful, plain mount and let me customize to my taste. that would be awesome.
    RedSam777 likes this.
  4. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

I know LAS is a personal and therefore very subjective thing, but the best combat I have experienced in games belongs to a handful, and three of them (EQ, GW, GW2) were LAS. If I need more than 12 skills keybound to QERTY12345 and M4 and M5 then that is bad design by the developers. To me there is no encounter where I need much more than 8-10.

Hunter days in WoW...
    trap, Mark, AimedS, Sting, MS, Arcane Shot, Melee, rinse and repeat as necessary. Throw in Concussive if Solo and pet controls/heals. I'm sure there were one or two more but that was the basic and Hunters arguably used the most skills in an encounter.

I know some of you know, but remember LAS is limiting your available skills, not limiting your total skills. You will still have a large amount to choose from for your various set ups.
  5. Iskiab

Iskiab Cupcake

Only a couple of things I'm not sure about:
    1. 40 man raids (others officers who've lead raids said it was like herding cats)
    2. How healing will work (the healer class hasn't been released yet which is odd)

Most of the other things people have listed are positives for me.
  6. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

Every class in the game is a hybrid in that they can tank/dps or heal/dps

ESPers and spell slingers can both heal and the unannounced 'medic' class (which is still a hybrid) can also heal.
    Healing is a mixture of telegraphs (AoEs; icicles, cones etc), movement based heals (you charge anyone in your path is healed), 'placed' heals (light well) and single target tabbed heals.
  7. RedSam777

RedSam777 New Cupcake

This is one of my concerns also. I love hearing the devs getting excited about a specific thing in the game they have put so much hard work into, I love hearing how proud they are about what've created for us, but in this case, I am not sure I agree 100% when they say this will be a very dynamic fight system. If all it takes to avoid an attack is to look for the red marks on the ground and dodge, that is not very dynamic at all, it can get a little repetitive and in the end, not very challenging.

My other concern is, every time I see a video from some awesome gaming convention/expo, I see the players running around and you'll see one, maybe a couple of creatures hanging out here and there. It reminds me of SWTOR and how its worlds feel dead. Sure you see a mob over there, but you don't see animals roaming about, attacking each other, or a group of birds running around like you do in that Guild MMO about Wars number 2. I LOVE that, because that world feels alive, feels like the real world, and I feel that helps with immersion. A world that is alive invites you to explore it, and to enjoy it.

Third concern. I may be wrong about this one, but I think I heard that gathering nodes will be first come first served? like I said, I am not 100% what I heard about this was completely true, but if that is the case, then we'll have a problem. I love crafting but I don't want to be forced to camp around a certain node I need because somebody else beat me to it, and now I have to wait for it to respawn, or go to another location to try to get it, only to find out that another player beat me to it also. I don't know, that's my humble opinion.
  8. celestria

celestria Cupcake

Limited action set:

I was rather enthusiastic when this was first introduced in Diablo III. I thought: cool, I'll be able to respec any time and have a lot of cool builds.
    In the end of the day (I play Monk as main) it all boiled down to ONE DPS Ability that costs no resource, 4 buffs and one Utility skill. Variety? None, but it's the highest DPS build.
    LAS is a nice way to getting rid of respecs/multispecs, but I believe you will get more diversity in gameplay/skill usage from having skill trees.
    I even liked Aion's approach better where you have 20 kills each on at least 10 sec cooldown and you have to actually use them in some combination.

Paths:

Although conceptually a nice idea, it limits on what I can do with one character. I am someone who ever makes only one character per MMO and max it out. I hated the way SWTOR literally forced you to make alts. If this is another way to try to get me to make alts: no thank you.

Dungeon finder:

Although convenient, it has completely ruined the community in WoW. After quitting mid-TBC, I was persuaded to play during the scroll of resurrection promotion in cataclysm.
    First dungeon: "I am the first time here" - kick, no comment
    Second dungeon: "Sorry, your gear level is too low" - kick
    Third dungeon: I try taking the boss without saying anything, die due to <REDACTED> gear and lack of knowledge of the fight - "Tank sucks, kick him" - kick.

Dungeon finders promote bad behaviour and ignorance.
  9. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

All paths get to do all content, there's just extra "path content" on the side that only give you path exp.

And then, every path gets a sample of missions from the other paths, you just get the most of your kind of path.

Like..the Explorer Path is primarily platforming and scavenger hunts, but they'll also have to sometimes fight waves of monsters like the soldier path, or solve a puzzle like the scientist path. They just wont have to fight as much enemies or solve as many puzzles as if they picked the other paths.

So, picking a path simply gives you more stuff to do, as opposed to locking out stuff to play on another character.
  10. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

This is always interesting to me. I understand it's your preferred style but it seems strange.

I've always enjoyed having to choose a role and only that role in games. It's not because I love ALTS ( I don't, I usually have a couple in each game), It's because I never understood how my character could be all things. My character would be unbeatable, almost a god. It's one of the reason I could never stay with Rift.

Anywho, I just commented because I've seen a lot of folks saying this recently. I also thinks it's strange in all games to be able to change my role from Tank to DPS, etc., so I'm not just picking on Paths. Choose a role and be it. I miss that.
  11. Painguin

Painguin Cupcake

1. No Quadruple Jump
    2. No Quadruple Jump
    3. No Quadruple Jump

I have a variety of things in my list, they all need to be improved upon.
  12. celestria

celestria Cupcake

When I change in real life from a software developer to my seasonal job as a skiing instructor I also don't just roll a new life. I just change my gear from a suit to a skiing outfit and vòila - new role. I see nothing wrong with having multiple roles depending on outfit/situation for your MMO character.
    Witless likes this.
  13. Zondeel

Zondeel Cupcake

I don't have enough information about the game to say what I don't want, but I'll take an unpopular stance and say I would like flying mounts very much, especially if they added aerial vehicle combat. Also, heard the WASD referenced in the latest dev video, made me want to puke, it's either mouse movement, or if it's one of those games where mouse buttons are assigned to attacks (why? Why on Earth...) then just use an X-Box controller, bonus points if the right analog aiming isn't too sensitive. I'd prefer to use a Razer Naga but if that's not viable then like I said, X-Box controller.

If a controller is sub-optimal then I'd like to see a way to rebind mouse 2 to movement and mouse 1 to control camera (as opposed to simply moving the mouse, which should only move a cursor unless mouse 1 is pressed).

I think there should be a fine balance between too much flexibility and classes being too committal. Ckasses should have things about them that make them unique, like smoke bomb or shadowstep only belonging to a certain class, or 10 seconds of invulnerability belonging exclusively to another while at the same time not be locked into a role. Some other game I play you can switch roles, and each class has its level, and you could choose subclasses to customize even further. I would do something like that but keep the HP of the highest HP class (you don't magically become weaker just by leaving your sword at home and picking up a wand after all), and highest stats of classes, but specific skills and class bonuses require you to be that class.

A certain MMO with a horror theme in the modern world has too much flexibility, and it makes people too interchangable, whereas in the most popular MMO people are too locked into a specific role.

Pretty much every game has a big gaping problem with gameplay and story segregation, so I'd love to see this gap closed. Maybe you need a certain strength stat or higher to move a certain rock and complete the quest, or a certain intelligence/magic stat barrier or higher to qualify for a certain puzzle quest. Have NPCs treat you differently and say different things based off your level, such as lower levels trying to take on a much too high quest say something to the effect of "You look to weak to handle that, no offense" or if you're overleveled for it they'll say, "Oh I can tell by looking at you that you can do this with your eyes closed".
    Witless likes this.
  14. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

A bit silly of an analogy, but I can appreciate your point. In a game I just enjoy the specific role, class, path, profession that I chose and would prefer that over open ended character choices.
  15. mysticjbyrd

mysticjbyrd Cupcake-About-Town

What on earth are you talking about?
  16. Zondeel

Zondeel Cupcake

There are games out there where moving a mouse move the camera automatically and pressing mouse buttons trigger action abilities instead of moving forward and camera control. These games are best played with X-Box controllers so you wouldn't have to be a keyboard turner.
  17. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

Uhm.. this is an MMO only for PC. :cautious:
  18. Zondeel

Zondeel Cupcake

But X-Box controllers are PC compatible, trust me on this. I have one from Logitech for a reasonable price. I wouldn't play certain games with certain control schemes any other way.
  19. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

I know that, in fact I have one too. What I was trying to say was, this game is built for PC with keyboard and mouse in mind. The combat is very much movement and position based. I'm not even sure if the game will support controllers at all or not.
  20. Zondeel

Zondeel Cupcake

I don't mind keyboard and mouse so long as I can use my mouse to move because it's far more responsive whereas keyboard movement is more jagged and awkward being four corners instead of a smooth responsive control. Because a mouse can cover more dimensions than four simple buttons you can immediately turn if you need to. You could also reassign your basic attack to the "A" key, which is where your left pinky rests, and a second essential ability to S, W another frequently used skill, D for a utility like steatlh, etc. Think of it like the difference between an old NES controller and a modern day thumbstick, the thumbstick covers far more area and degrees, and as stated before can free up WASD for useful frequent abilities given that they're homerow keys (and W is close enough to home).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.