1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Transmogs yay or nay?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Fayde, Aug 14, 2013.

?

Transmogs yay or nay?

1. yay

63.2%
  2. nay

36.8%
  1. Anstalt

Anstalt Cupcake-About-Town

The appeal is simple:

Everybody has difference tastes when it comes to armour. What you think looks awesome, someone else might think looks absolutely terrible. At endgame, you are forced to wear the armour with the best stats.

If you happen to think that the armour looks terrible then your experience is going to suffer. That then leads to reduced playtime and eventually you'll either roll an alt (hurting the endgame community) or quit the game (hurting the whole community).

By adding a cosmetic system, the devs get around this issue and keep everyone happy. What they allow and disallow is purely arbitrary. I'd personally advocate letting people use whatever the hell they want for cosmetics because ultimately cosmetics have no bearing on gameplay, but I know other people get upset when they see a clothie wearing heavy armour, or a level 10 wearing endgame gear for example.
    Rek likes this.
  2. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

I'd be surprised if they didn't go with your suggestion as that seems to be the way most folks think. I just hate it.
  3. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Well, to be fair the transmog system is completely different from the Wardrobe of RIft and Costume of LotRO. The transmog system is horrible and limiting compared to those two. Anyways, some folks just might be thinking that the poster means the transmog from WoW, since that's what it was called.
    Kataryna likes this.
  4. Grim Fandango

Grim Fandango Well-Known Cupcake

It's because most people don't like looking like technocolor vomit, which is exactly what you get when you have a system using individual pieces of gear and a wide variety of models.

That said, the transmogrification system World of Warcraft uses is absolutely awful. It's so obvious a patchworked hack as to be laughable. But to oppose the option to customize the way your character looks? I really can't conceive of an honest-to-God reason for that, let alone calling it "immersion breaking." Immersion breaking is having people running around wearing fireman helmets with zoot suit jackets, camouflage fatigue pants, rainbow colored fur gloves, and flip-flops.
  5. Dirty Outlaw

Dirty Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

I am in support for barbie for boys .. er I mean transmog/costume systems, yes play it cool.
  6. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

I'm guessing you've played secret world recently hahaha
  7. FranBunnyFFXII

FranBunnyFFXII Cupcake

Yes absolutely. Transmogs are literally some of my favorite parts of a game and I do actually spend far more cash and time and effort on transmogs and my character looks than I do anything else.

To me, mounts and vanity are a huge part of the characters I play, If I can't really personalize my avatar she' doesn't really tend to keep my interest In her for very long. However Transmogging helps me be personal and connected with my avatar finding a mode and design that fits them and their perceived personality about them.
    I spend a significant amount of time and effort into getting these looks for my avatar.

I've spent more gold in WoW on trying to find transmog items and mounts than anything else. I'ts always been a huge thing for me.
    In Flyff, I paid at least 2000+$ on a single characters wardrobe options for many different outfits over the course of 5+years. More than I spent on anything else.

I think transmog and looks are a huge important part of an avatar's customization and i'd be pretty sad to not see it in wildstar.
  8. Kleev

Kleev Cupcake-About-Town

I voted no because I want to be able to see the gear people are wearing, especially if 40 mans are difficult and people can stand out in that gear. I think the perfect solution is to have transmog be either visible only for yourself, or be able to disable/enable it through options. I don't think transmog is appropriate until the game has aged considerably. Hopefully each content block has sets of gear that are unique between raid sizes, but similar enough to blend together well when mixed.
  9. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

I like being able to change appearance of things. It lets me mix and match to look different. If everyone does that, lots of people look different. That helps keep people at the highest level from just looking the same. Same is boring. Lots of people have already said the same thing along this thread. Though it would be neat to be able to have a 'toggle' that lets it flip an item back to its old appearance without cost or losing the appearance we added.

Some people also complained that it means in pvp it will be harder to tell how well equipped someone is. Isn't that part of the fun? Deceiving someone to think someone else I thought was part of pvp to begin with. It makes things interesting instead of predictable.

But, people love customizing things. We always do! We want our character to appear as unique as we can make them.
  10. Saybel

Saybel Cupcake

Transmog was needed in wow because each expansion players got tired of giving up their epics and legendaries and replacing them with bland looking greens with better stats... I see no need for transmog until an expansion comes out and if they have a similar problem. Otherwise I like the idea of knowing the gear im looking at is the actual gear they have equiped.