1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

True hybrid play?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Allstar, May 13, 2013.

1. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

You haven't been paying attention to the systems getting put in place by Carbine have you? It's going to change the way you're raiding...
    Here's my evidence, where's yours?
  2. Drasas

Drasas Well-Known Cupcake

I don't think you understand what he's saying. Which is ok because it is rather confusing, but the point being made in that statement you linked is saying that you have to weigh the advantages for places with upgrades for yourself and the loot is somewhat random. You might get a better drop from Boss A or you might not. Bosses A-E can all drop X slot item, but there's no promise it's better than what you have.

Basically it's as if bosses in dungeons have random loot tables and while they might always drop a slot it wont always be the same item.
  3. Dwel

Dwel Cupcake

If you check the actual buffs / abilities you'll see that they will not make a dramatic difference in an actual build. Some can create synergies, but they do no look so critical that they will nullify anything from your actual ability pool. I am talking about being max level at the moment (so not referring to leveling builds, but rather endgame dungeons, raids, and PvP).

Wouldn't it be silly if you couldn't use your abilities just because you don't have the gear for it?

Edit: Also, if you check the class pages on the main website, you'll see that each class does have primary attributes it relies on. For all we know, the milestones can all be reached when in high-end gear (the patch notes do not define what the milestones "ranges" are).

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/the-game/classes/spellslinger.php
  4. Drasas

He seems to think that because of the randomization of items and not having a true set BIS that there wont be min/max'ing with stats. It's adorable... really...
    Malorak likes this.
  5. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

There will be certain stats that are bad for you, yes. There also will be certain builds based on if you can scavenge together certain gear. There will also be no attainable BiS gear, so you have to roll with the upgrades. You also have to tailor your build based on the upgrades. The number of AoE healers in a guild can change though, especially with a 40-man, making it extremely easy for small variances to take place.

I get that people's roles generally stay the same, and they'll be pigeonholed into certain roles, due to the guild giving them a job to do. I'm saying a smart raid leader will notice that Wildstar has the loot system and the supporting systems to make these roles somewhat dynamic. They WILL change over time, and that the linear path for gear upgrades will be the less fast one. You're basing your thoughts on trinity systems with linear gear progression, where there's only one way to play a class, because that class has theses spells (whatever they are) that never change, and they have this one set of gear that's the best, and a set of stats that's optimum. This is why specializations can exist there, because there's nothing stirring up the best possible combinations. On the other hand if you end up getting a crazy amount of one stat on gear, some players could consider collecting that gear in order to slowly change over their spec towards something with higher performance, based on the gear that's dropped.

Read the whole thread, not just the quote, the quote was so you'd click the little arrow and see the rest of his statement, and read up on the systems that are currently in place that are supposed to make players consider dynamically changing their roles over time...

Actually what I'm saying is you have to min/max your builds, because those vary too. You think that everyone's going to only be given gear based on their current build. With gearing upgrades this isn't necessarily the case. Is it likely someone's going to swap from pure healer to pure dps, nope, but AoE shield healer to AoE and CC healer is a possibility.

So, abilities on the patch notes vary depending on Assault and Support, while the milestones vary based on the other 6 attributes. I don't think milestones are meant to all be reached by high-end gear, but you could be right there. I think how it works is that some of the 6 abilities give Assault some give Support, and based on what class you are, there are "primary" stats (for Spellslinger this would be Dexterity/Wisdom aka Finesse/Insight) which will add more to the assault/support (like +2 instead of +1). I think the milestones can end up balancing out that players take it's stat above others.
  6. Dwel

Dwel Cupcake

Disclaimer: This is all pure speculation and my personal opinion on how I believe it will work.

Can't say a lot without knowing how the milestones are reached. All I can state is that the bonuses you receive from them do not look "build-defining". So you can go for any build you want, regardless of what milestones you have reached. Your class still relies on its primary attributes, not pumping those out will gimp you.

The abilities you have access to define your role. How your arrange them define your purpose. A Spellslinger can be a DPS or Healer depending on his abilities and stats. He can't do both at the same time with the same efficiency. However, due to LAS, it may be that you can be a DPS / CC-er, or a DPS / Intrerrupter, or a HoT Healer, etc. Your role is still set (healer or DPS), but your purpose can vary depending on the content you're tackling.
    Drasas likes this.
  7. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Ok I can agree with that, but the secondary stats are what optimized gear is about. Especially because you won't be able to have the same stat on any 2 circuits within the schematic.

There are some passive milestones that allow for some healing (or damage mitigation) from dpsers (specifically look at Espers, they've got the best examples of these).

I also think that not all the Milestones are in the game yet, and that it'll work like a talent tree (kind of) where you have to choose the ones you want.
  8. Drasas

This is still the point though here. As a healer you're going after gear with insight. That's primary stat number 1 everything else for you is secondary is all I'm getting at. Glove Z drops off of Billy the Dinosaur boss they have more insight than your current gloves, but you're trading secondary stats which are a wash. Sure, you can try to build a set that has a strong secondary stat focus, but you're always going to be looking for that insight stat and you're always going to be a healer.
    Dwel likes this.
  9. Dwel

Dwel Cupcake

Disclaimer: same gist - my personal opinion:

You need to keep in mind that the combat relies on the LAS, currently 7 abilities that you can slot there (aside from the gadget and the special ones). Those abilities will most likely dictate the purpose of your build.

We can safely assume that at endgame, you can attain most of the milestones, some higher than others, so even if you can't have them all, you will not be missing a lot on that front.

At most, those milestones can provide some min/maxing, but the advantages they give (some damage evasion, healing) will not affect your main role dramatically. As a parallel, they could be similar to WoW's glyphs, but more in number. They offer tangible advantages, but they do not change your role.
    BlindSear and Drasas like this.
  10. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Yup, I can agree with that.