1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Twinking

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Billco, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Billco

Billco Cupcake-About-Town

My random thought for the day.

As some of you may know, I'm not a big fan of alts. Never have been. I tend to pick my guy that i'm happy with, and thats it for a looong time. Its only when I have done everything I want to do with him and hit a stopping block, that I tend to start again on another toon.

That said, when I do get around to rolling a second toon, one thing I am very fond of doing, is twinking.

Now i'm not talking a level 1 in full raid gear here, but I do like the feeling of slaying those fire beetles with one might strike, instead of going afk for 10 minutes auto attacking like I did on my first playthrough. (just an example here, I know WS is gonna be different to that)

I know lots of people have different opinions on this, I was actually quite a fan of the....ummm...crud whatever it was called gear in WoW that you could buy with Justice Points and transfer between toons and it would modify into the right stats. Because it gave me something to do with those leftover points and It meant I could give my next roll a bit of a head-start.

Some games however make it VERY hard to twink. Unless you farm every area to get a full set that is replaced every few levels, due to level restrictions on gear and such.

No clue what WS is gonna do yet, just curious what you guys think?

Besides its been a bit too quiet around here lately :)
  2. Danny Nielsen

Danny Nielsen Cupcake

Taken from here http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/blog/wildstar_wednesday_introduction_to_economy.php

We could hope that the components to modify your gear, will be in some lvl range, so that you can scavenge the stat from a lvl 10 piece of gear and put it on lvl 1 gear. That would make for some nice twinking imo.
  3. Billco

I would love to be able to craft a nice set of gear for my lower level alt. But from experience this has never really been possible.

Heck even crafting gear as I level has been mostly pointless.
  4. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

I hate twinking. And they are called Heirlooms in WoW. Now, my explanation.

Twinking hurts in open world pvp and even in battlegrounds. It's almost not doable to win something if your opponent is covered in great gear while your dressed in 'normal' leveling gear.

The same problem you have in dungeons. Ever tried to heal a tank covered in heirlooms? Yes, it is boring because he is way to strong for the content. Or try to dps against another fellow dpser. You can't 'win'. They are picking their noses while you doing your uttermost best to compete and they still end up higher on the dps scale.

And I like to see my character progress. I like getting a new cloak as a reward for something I have done. Getting it mailed over by your main isn't fun for me. But that is how I see it. I never use heirlooms.
  5. pseudo

pseudo Podcaster

Heirlooms and twinking are inherently different beasts with heirlooms only becoming a thing in WOTLK, but even before that there was significant part of the game based around getting good twink builds.

Real, true twinking is all about maximizing your gear with the best ilvl gear you can get at levels 19, 29, 39, etc (aka: the top level of PvP delineation before you enter a new bracket). Since Wrath, the twinking game seems focused on heirloom attainment, but honestly that's pretty antithetical to the true nature of what twinking meant in the past. Twinking reminds me of a sort of zen-koan philosophy where you will ostensibly put more time into crafting / attaining the item than you will actually using it (if you are PvE that is)

Getting twink sets that are not heirlooms are very possible, but Blizz made heirlooms far too strong making it so nobody actually twinks anymore because it's still underpowered to +stat AND EXP boost.
  6. Chrilin

Chrilin Cupcake-About-Town

I never twinked, I always wanted to see content and there always seemed to be something to do (even with alts) that I had not done before. I guess I just never understood the appeal.

That being said, way back in the day (long before heirloom gear) twinking was different. You actually had to plan for it. There were very specific pieces to get, and you had to do it in a very careful order to avoid leveling past it. So at least it took a level of skill and dedication that I can appreciate.
  7. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

I had a level 29 druid twink some years on WoW. Geared up with a couple of friends - hunter and rogue I think, so we needed the same gear and ran each others twinks through the right dungeons and quests. The challenge back then was getting the right items for twinking before hitting 30 and then never move away from the warmaster for fear of xp from exploring :p PvP xp put a stop to that.

I picked druid to be able to get the biggest bear butt in the battleground with twinking.

My first main for levelling is always a ranger/hunter type :p My second main is a healer, and I always have to make a banker alt for the excess storage issues of mats and <REDACTED>. When the mains get max level and accessable gear I start alting out, until I have all crafts.
  8. Tiktak

Tiktak Cupcake-About-Town

I've never fully twinked. Except that one time, at the end of Wrath/Early Cataclysm, where my guild did casual Karazhan runs. (You -HAD- to be Level 70, no higher, no Heirlooms.) Which happened shortly after the exp stopper came in.
    I -did- use heirlooms though on my Alts, just for the bonus XP.
    And I only ever PvP at max level. Their's no point doing it any lower. (But then... to me BGs are 'something to do when you have nothing else to do today...and mostly to troll 'serious' PvPers' (They are hilarious!)
  9. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

I have twinked my alts. However, I never have given them overpowered stuff. I give them my leftovers when I upgrade if the leftover is level appropriate. I usually out level the gear I give my alts fairly soon. So, not sure if that is "true" twinking but it is gear the alt did not obtain itself.
  10. pseudo

pseudo Podcaster

I'm sorry if what I said came off as elitist -- I didn't mean for it read like I was talking about The One True Twink! I think any sort of twinking is an awful lot of fun... except for the heirloom items. Most of those feel as though they negate challenge to an almost absurd degree.

With that said, I still think WoW did it right with heirlooms. They came in way late into the life of the game. I just don't think we should see them at the very beginning.
  11. Chrilin

Not at all good sir. :)

Twinking to me means leveling a toon to a certain point and stopping to max out at a
    pre-determined level. It's usually done for pvp. I call maxing out at end game min/maxing.

I totally understood what your were saying :up:
  12. Billco

Yeah seems clear that "twinking" wasn't the correct term to use. Giving alts a leg-up would be more apropriate I suppose.

I see a lot of cons related to PvP - as I've never been much of a PVP'er at all I didn't consider those.

I am starting to think I need to get into PvP more, really noticed it in swtor where the majority of players seemed to be PVP'ers, mostly due to the uproar on the forums about omg pvp sucks and there's not enough pvp.

Some people even seemed to think it was/should be a pvp game, with a little story tacked on.
  13. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Man ... that's makes my whole rant against twinking obsolete. I have nothing against alt leg humping.

Well yeah, that would have made the game way cooler. Remember the awesome battles in the second (and third?) movie? We wanted that. Period.
  14. Chrilin

lol.... Yep I have no problem with making it easier to lvl an alt. I've seen the majority of the content the first time around. There is no reason to make me slog through it all over again.
  15. Billco

Heh yeah sorry. But I had to get you all fired up somehow right?

Seriously though, I can see now "twinking" is the far more extreme end of what i've ever done/wanted to do.

See, the thing about pvp'ers I seem to find is that, Hardcore PVP'ers seem to feel the world revolves around them, and they are the do all and end all of the game.

Me? I'm a PVE'er primarily but I'm more than happy to dabble in PVP from time to time and I understand the need for it in the market. But if a game was designed with PVP in mind as a primary concept...like GW2 I beleive is....then i'd be less interested in playing it.
  16. Punx

Punx Cupcake

The thing that stood out while Twinking was obvious the gear, however if you keep a good balance through-out the different levels between classes then it comes down to how much effort you put into that "twink" rather than just funding it via high level toon. The common argument is it punishes newer players(who don't have the means/tools to get the "BIS" twink gear) so if this stat modding applies well with a good class balance the only things left are player skill/time invested in said twink. That's where WoW falls short..lack of balance through all the brackets.
  17. Tiktak

Tiktak Cupcake-About-Town

WoW is/was balanced for top level content. Mostly raiding though, or at least it was in Vanilla (Or Retail, or however you want to call it.)
  18. Punx

Punx Cupcake

Yes, but it wasn't throughout all the other brackets where twinking comes into play. Very few classes shined (even twinked) in various level caps.
  19. Kirathis

Kirathis Cupcake-About-Town

I'm all for giving an alt a bit of an edge but full blown god-mode gear for their level is just boring. Usually I just throw some cash at the alt so they can afford things like bags and such. Like Siega I tend to have (at least) one alt dedicated to just bag space for mats and what not. Heck in WoW I had two guild bank mules with 3 or 4 pages each.

I do not usually start giving gear and such until I am running through stuff I have seen multiple times before. At that point, I have been there, done that and I just want to get through it. Even then, usually just a good weapon or two (dual wield dwarf shammy with giant hammers ftw!) and maybe a chest item. Like I said, full god-mode is BORING.
    Tiktak likes this.
  20. Jason Sweeney

Jason Sweeney New Cupcake

I think that you could give gear itself multiple 'level' characteristics.

a) Level required to wear it
    b) Reltive PVP power (say 100 = average green and 500 = top end crafted or farmed)

That way, you could bedeck your twink toon with gear to make leveling a breeze, but if you try to enter PVP you have to deal with:
    RATING = score of item 1 + score of item 2 ....

And you could balance PVP based around the 'gear score' of the combatants.