1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Type of players that annoy you.

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Stich, Jan 26, 2014.

?

what kind of player annoys you?

1. Those that insist they are a SOLO que player, yet sign up for GROUP content

25 vote(s)
    16.0%
  2. People who refuse to accept, advice and think that they are 'l337'

89 vote(s)
    57.1%
  3. chat spammers (this includes WTS, WTT, WTB LF guild)

60 vote(s)
    38.5%
  4. non responsive players in both pvp and pve

61 vote(s)
    39.1%
  5. new players, or slow learning players

13 vote(s)
    8.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Darkace

Darkace Cupcake

I hate members of my party who can send messages in general chat while killing mobs and completing missions. ( Everyone but myself I think)
    Im either killing mobs and making the party mad because im not answering questions and joining in or answering and making them mad because im getting owned buy the mobs while typing.

Im to old and slow :cry:
    Le Pigeon, gabers1 and frzn like this.
  2. Enkidu

Enkidu Cupcake-About-Town

It is okay Old man, without you gaming may not be what it is today. /salute

P.S. I am still pissed you guys were able to get good sonic and Mega Man games...
    Darkace and frzn like this.
  3. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

YOU!!!

j/k :)

idk .. mostly i hate bads ... and noobs are not bads. noobs know they dont know everything. bads act like they know what they are doing, but they dont.

every gamer needs a certain amount of humility .. or humbleness .. w.o it, they are bads .. imo.

yes i have been bad sometimes.
    Livnthedream likes this.
  4. Felion

Felion Cupcake-About-Town

I don't hate! Long live tolerance!

The 1337 may really be 1337, who knows. Of course I myself is super duper 1337, I just don't tell others that ALL the time. Ultimately being a little over-confident about yourself isn't that bad of a trait, it's cute actually. Just laugh it off and on we go, if he's stubborn, well I don't need to be more stubborn, I can back down and deal with it. But of course, I'd maybe distant myself from said person when I know sticky situations might happen, no hate though.

The trade spammers, well, they need to sell things. Maybe they're in a rush so they spammed. It's the only way to get people's attention if you need a group/trade fast, so I don't blame them at all even if I can feel the somewhat negative impact at times. Like not seeing anything on the chat screen.

The non-responsive, maybe they don't speak English. If they can keep up with my game-play and they seem nice, I'm fine. Speech isn't the only communication tool.

New players are, well, new, I don't see how that could be annoying. Slow-learning players are a bit more ummm, problematic. If they're slow-learning yet they're nice, oh I can teach them hand-to-hand for days. If they're slow-learning and somewhat lousy/mean/irresponsible, well. I still won't hate, but maybe I'll distant myself a little.

The only times that I may get snarly is when people get nasty with other people, I might flame up if it gets out of hand. Funny how all the major conflicts I've had are none of my direct business lol...

So ultimately, if they don't mean harm, habits and attitudes are all tolerable. So what if he's over confident about himself and stubborn, so what if he's not that good at it, as long as they don't mean direct harm and they want to play, I will play. But when people get nasty, that's just ugly and I don't want to be anywhere near it.
  5. stragen cimmurra

stragen cimmurra New Cupcake

6. OutlawStars

OutlawStars New Cupcake

Elitists. :| I don't even have the game yet and people have been rude to me over never playing a MMO before. (I have to start somewhere?)
  7. Toothbrush

Toothbrush New Cupcake

I like to think there are three types of people I encounter when I play mmo's. People who I solidly enjoy playing with and will make bonds with that may last for years, and those who make the gaming world a bit more colorful by being strange, a bit rude, hardheaded, or what have you. Then there are the venomous types who just wanna watch the world burn. They all have there place at the end of the day.
    Felion likes this.
  8. Vilonic

Vilonic Cupcake

Sounds like Frost! Haha :D
  9. Hexamus

Hexamus New Cupcake

Ragers. Reason I can never play LoL without a premade group.
  10. Yamagishi

Yamagishi New Cupcake

Dunno about hate, but I get annoyed by female players who will get offended because some random person on the internet doesn't know their gender without being told. And people go get angry too easily.
  11. silvershadez

silvershadez Cupcake

Adorer. They blindly follow 1 or a handful of people because those people claim or are claimed to be great. They don't ever question whatever those people say, nor do they accept criticism about what has been said.

A good example is again GW2. There are commanders over there that lead a bunch of people. But being commander only means they spend 100g, not that they spent time at a "commander school" or whatsoever. Often those commanders have no clue about what to do, but they act like they have. Their adorers blindly follow them into death.

Another example are those theorycrafters or "elite PvP/PvEer". People allways copy their builds and force their party to be the absolut same. They don't accept criticism neither.
  12. gabers1

gabers1 Cupcake-About-Town

In my experience, those are the type of women that want you to know their gender. This is exactly why they make a huge issue of it, to call attention to it.

I on the other hand will go out of my way to remain genderless in game as I have found that there seems to be more respect with some in the gaming community (some definitely not all) for male gamers. Therefore I am perfectly happy to be called sir, bud, or bro and will not be correcting you. I want to be judged by my performance, not my gender.

Regarding the poll- none of your player examples annoy me unless by unresponsive you are referring to bots.

Players that do annoy me:

Botters
    All hackers/cheats
    Intentional AFK to gain rewards without performance
    The players that like to publicly disgrace and callout individual players in team chat or zone chat for questionable performance
  13. Seluna

Seluna New Cupcake

The selfish player who doesn't treat people with respect because of the anonymous character of games/internet.

So that includes ninja looters, people who shout at newer players, and just people that like to bully.
    Sometimes they just forget that there might be a person behind the keyboard that had a rough day/week already and really needed to relax. Or they just don't care. It makes me sad sometimes.
    Felion likes this.
  14. Weeablade

Weeablade New Cupcake

Players with internet asperger's.
  15. Tidezen

Tidezen Cupcake

Hmm...min-maxers, elitists in general. Basically people who are responsible for "cookie-cutter" builds that are then pushed on the rest of the community, taking what once was an open-ended system and homogenizing it to only a handful of "accepted" builds. If I can't play the character I want, then what's the point of having choice in the first place?
  16. Stich

Stich Cupcake

^^
    this a thousand times this

i mean never in any game have i ever min and maxed, yeah its got merits to it, but if im doing just as well as people who do min max, with out min and maxing, then why should i?
  17. DemosthenesHPW

DemosthenesHPW New Cupcake

Ehhhh... that's really more a fault of the system, and why I actually kind of like WoW's new talent system. They're all choices. Some ARE better than others for each person (ok, yeah, some are still useless), but some are simply choices and can be made freely.

Based on the answers above, I suspect the OP is a player who annoys me. :p

To me, lately, the thing that annoys me is the group of people who are clamoring for this game to be elite and for anyone who doesn't raid in 40 mans to be stuck with blues... because only they should get a sense of accomplishment for their actions in games. Epic (the word) =/= epic (the item rarity descriptor). I have no plans to raid in 40 mans... why? Because I did that in Vanilla WoW, I was raid leader for a guild, then healing leader for another guild. It is obnoxious trying to micromanage that many people. It's not fun, and raid healing 40 people with directed rather than targeted spells? Yeah, ok, I'll get the DPS who wants high numbers right on grouping up. *rolls eyes* But, pretty simple, I'm going to try this game, and if it's becoming obvious that the devs are catering to those "super elite, look how big I am" players and ignoring the rest... well, then I'll go try tESO after. :)
  18. Felion

It is very important to know the difference between "theorycrafters" and "elitists". I'm a theorycrafter, I test things, I figure out the formula for damage/healing and the coefficients from various stats by testing on dummies/mobs. I figure out dps by timing every component and adding numbers. It's all put into a sheet for people to see, or I could simply tell them in plain words, but that's it. If there's any number that isn't right, or if there's any factor that I didn't include into the calculation, it's clear, and people can easily point to that line and say "hey, I don't think this is right", and so I check and fix it, there is hardly any argument over things. Explain in detail every critical step that you base your conclusion on is a basis of all philosophical/scientific/academic discussion, because it helps other to criticise you and ultimately makes conversation a lot more effective. Instead of "feeling something's wrong but don't know what", you can now point to the exact step that is wrong, which is the essence of theorycrafting. Anyone can say things like "this build is better", and they may truly feel that, but then all we can rely on would be personal credibility.

Elite PvE players are indeed more credible than say a newbie in the area of min-maxing damage, so it's nothing wrong to prefer their opinion over some other people, but by no means does it solidify their claim to the level of "truth". Theorycrafting is trying to get rid of having to base your trust on a particular person, but rather making the conclusions as objective as possible. You're free to accept or deny any of the steps, and you're free to criticise if anything is off.

Now, you see, when I theorycraft I post it in the theorycrafting sites and elitist jerks or specific sections of a class forum. People who WANT to maximize their damage and/or minimize the resources will find it useful. All applications have a purpose, it is my personal interest to optimize in general, and if it can help others who likes doing so, why not? By no means am I saying "everyone should be like this", pointing out what IS is different from saying what SHOULD BE. And again, no one is saying a build IS the BEST, remember every application has a purpose, the argument of a theorycrafter is that a certain build IS the BEST only GIVEN THE PURPOSE. I can't tell you how to play, but if you want to know which build maximizes damage, that I can certainly tell you.

There will be people who insist others to play in certain ways, or look down to people who are not going for the same purpose as they are, but you see that's an entirely different problem. They're saying, "you should want what I want", which targets your personal preference directly. True theorycrafting only provides options, it never ever tries to pursuade people who don't share the same preference to begin with. If you ask me where does the "looking down" and "homogenize" problem stem from, well it stems from the nature of any society really, human or animal, you can even get to particle physics level, it goes way deep. But in any case it has nothing to do with theorycrafting is what I'm saying. Some may argue that "if you don't provide them with the theories and spread sheet they won't know", but honey, those people will find SOMETHING to base their values on anyways. It's like saying that inventing explosives = providing a criminal with weapon = guilty, doesn't work that way. The criminal may kill people with knives if there's no explosives, besides explosives are not meant to be used illegally, it's the criminal that should be responsible, not the inventor.
  19. DemosthenesHPW

DemosthenesHPW New Cupcake

Yup, the problem with the epic should mean epic crowd too. Because not everyone wants to raid 40s, then no one should have cool stuff. :( Hopefully the Wildstar team isn't taking them too seriously, or if they are, realize the errors of their way quick before the more casual players drop out when they realize that the cool stuff is only for the special club.
  20. Felion

Please refer to my previous long post above for details lol... But in short, min-maxing is not the problem. It's a preference, it's personal. Some people, like myself, enjoys optimizing things. What you're referring to is other people telling you what should be done and what should you prefer, which really has nothing to do with min-maxing itself. Think about it, if they insist that you should be wearing green and anything else is just "lower", wouldn't it also be very unpleasant? A simple experiment like that let's you know that it's not the preference itself that causes problems, it is the people who push this preference TOO FAR onto others (I say too far, because we ALL want others to agree with us and understand us, that's one of the basis for compassion and social bonding so we can't really just say "too hell it goes").

And by the way, min-maxing refers to optimization, which happens at all levels. People just use this term now to identify those who especially go out of their way to achieve this, but really it's not like others are not doing so. Any spell rotation is a min-max. Any none-random movement is a min-max. So if you're doing just as well as other people (I think you're referring to player skill aka character control aka movements and casting decision planning and execution), you've also optimized a certain part of your play. You just didn't optimize your gears or whatnot.

If you don't want to do raid though, wouldn't blues be good enough?

I'm not sure if I have the time to get into hardcore raiding again either, but you see, I understand why they want to make it more "hardcore". We've faced an increasingly "easy going" mmo market, WoW is now significantly watered down compared to its earlier days, all the new games strive to provide equal everything for everyone. Really it's kind of like social systems, the problem that communism faced was exactly this: they're all very equal, but it was significantly lower productivity, people are not motivated. And without motivation, a lot of things are no longer fun. It's always a balance between equality and individual motivation, and for the past few years we haven't been individually motivated enough, so people want that feeling back.

Also, with a watered down WoW still going on, Wildstar needs a way to differentiate itself. You're right that TESO is coming out and it obviously aims for easy-going (console and whatnot), which is more reason for Wildstar to not turn itself back. You said that "a group of people are ushering for hardcore", but in fact since I encountered this game more than a year ago, they've always officially said that they want to bring back the hardcore. Maybe not in the form of epic gear only for 40 man, but the general direction IS and has always been going in that direction.

Some people want peace non-disturbed, some people want excitement and thrill. Sadly, those two things can only combine to a certain degree without interfering each other. I'm sure Carbine will try their best to provide both groups with enough fun, but I'm just saying you can't really blame them for going in the general direction of hardcore --- that's been decided by themselves at the very beginning of the project.

It's not like they're going to be mercilessly hardcore though, definitely not, so it really is a fine balance that we don't know until we start playing. So yeah what you're proposing sounds like the best idea, try it out first and see if it's too "elitist" for you.