1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Type of players that annoy you.

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Stich, Jan 26, 2014.

?

what kind of player annoys you?

1. Those that insist they are a SOLO que player, yet sign up for GROUP content

25 vote(s)
    16.0%
  2. People who refuse to accept, advice and think that they are 'l337'

89 vote(s)
    57.1%
  3. chat spammers (this includes WTS, WTT, WTB LF guild)

60 vote(s)
    38.5%
  4. non responsive players in both pvp and pve

61 vote(s)
    39.1%
  5. new players, or slow learning players

13 vote(s)
    8.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Gardavil

Gardavil Cupcake

WildStar is a far better MMO for a new mmo Player than most others now available. Better to have your first MMO be a great one. You keep right on getting ready to play WildStar. You have my support at least, not much of a thing, but I am cheering for you.

Welcome to the MMORPG Experience. Enjoy :)
  2. gabers1

gabers1 Cupcake-About-Town

I may have missed something but I am a bit confused by this statement Outlawstars, can you clarify?

edit: If you are referring to the 3 players in this poll that voted that new players annoy them, ignore my above question. You will find idiots in all MMOs which is a price we pay for playing online games with thousands of people we do not know. The ignore/blacklist type of function offered in these games will help to limit this annoyance somewhat. Also, if you are the type of player that does have thin skin, I would suggest avoiding reading in the general and zone chat as many of your trolls and idiots will gravitate toward this area/function.
  3. Shaigh

Shaigh Cupcake

In a group. Players that sign up for an instance knowing there was not even a possibility that they would have time to finish it. If you know you only have 30 minutes until you have to go out don't sign up for a one hour instance. It drives me bonkers.

In a guild. Players that think they can act like <REDACTED>s just because its an online game, together with the players that get offended by everything.

As a leader. Players with the attitude that just because they pay the same amount of money for the game they should be given access to everything. Noone is granted access to a raidgroup or a warplot team, you create the opportunity for yourself.
    Deadmeat likes this.
  4. zekkdarklighter

zekkdarklighter Cupcake

chat spammers do it for me. I can deal with the noobs, the clingers, the gankers, the elitists... but chat spammers ruin my day. It is impossible to have an ignore list long enough to cover them all, and turning off the channel causes you to miss out on other conversations on that channel and legitimate calls for help.
  5. Veil

Veil New Cupcake

I think mine is whenever people PM you and ask for money or how to get money. Just do things man!
  6. MrDreadful

MrDreadful Creepy Cupcake

Back in ye olde EQ, when the trolls were fat and still lived in Grobb, people would stand around the exits of cities and ask me, a starting character, for the paltry armor and weapons I had the luck of finding on skeletons and random critters in the swamp. "Give me yt armor! Come on! PLZ! YR A #*@&!"
  7. Bnol

Bnol Cupcake-About-Town

The type of player that annoys me is anyone asking for hand-outs, whether that is gear, money, or easily obtainable information, especially annoying is those that whisper and/or spam the requests.
    Livnthedream likes this.
  8. Benzecry

Benzecry Cupcake-About-Town

Drama instigators, the people who specifically go for the worst approach to guilds or players in order to make their fuel: melodrama. Not just people who have it happen to them or around them, but the people who specifically try to make drama.
  9. Red_Riot

Red_Riot New Cupcake

obnoxious 1337 teens that are the result of failed parenting and 'brogamers' (which are slighly older versions of the former)
  10. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

To be fair "new players" also have a tendency to fall under what Bnol described above. I tend to be much gentler in game than on a forum entirely because the forum has all sorts of information prominently displayed to lead them in the right direction and in game there generally is not. What really grinds my gears though is when you "teach a man to fish" and they still come back wanting you to dole it out to them. Its rather irritating when I am spending my leisure time to get acquainted with mechanics and such, and they want me to spend even more time giving them a "gist" rather than just learning it themselves like I had to. While I can understand that they believe their time to be more important to them than mine, its pretty disrespectful.
  11. filanwizard

filanwizard Cupcake-About-Town

I think what will make WS great for the new player is that it will have lesser system requirements than some games due out and since its completely new we do not have experts on it.

I dislike it when people get hostile when given advise. But I also hate the people who do not give advise beyond "Go google that" or in WoW its "You can research your class on EJ" Keep in mind they will flame you for not knowing what EJ is too
  12. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

People who refuse to learn are probably my biggest pet peeve. I'll happily spend time helping people, even if it takes a while (we were all new once and people learn different things at different speeds), but those that repeatedly make the same mistake and blame everything else but themselves makes me despair for humanity :p

Unresponsive people is another annoyance as I find it ignorant (when doing group content anyway) if you are asking a direct question and they just ignore it. People just being generalyl quiet I'm fine with, I tend to only chat in pickup groups if it's needed/to be polite (much prefer voice comms to typing).

Excessive chat spam is a minor annoyance (damn you Dirge! - for the WoW players) but not really something I get too bothered about as I can simply leave the channel/ignore people.

I'd also be one to annoy the OP as I love completing achievements and pretty much everything else I can :laugh: although for group content I tend to find like minded people to do that side of things with when going for all the optionals/achievements (most groups just want the fasted loot/xp in instances).
  13. Sfr528

Sfr528 New Cupcake

"People who refuse to accept advice and think that they are 'l337'"

To be honest, I find players who are forcing advice down your throat even when you didn't ask for it to be rather obnoxious. Don't get me wrong, players boasting about how 'l337' they are are just as annoying, even if they are amazing players. Some modesty can go a long way -- let your actions speak louder than words.

When it comes to advice I tend to have the firm belief that you should only give advice to someone who is asking for it. It comes off as being pretentious if you just start listing off ways that a player can improve. At the very least ask if you could give them advice before you start handing it out.

Some other types of players that really do get under my skin are;

1) Racist/Homophobic/Sexist. Anyone that is openly expressing such hatred really get under my skin. I don't care if it's a joke or not, in an open forum where it can be misunderstood these types of remarks do not belong. I have zero problem reporting anyone under the harassment clause that I see making such remarks.

2) Low Level Gankers. I should preface this by saying I always roll on a PVP servers because I enjoy the atmosphere. However, it's not very fun when you have maxed level players incessantly murdering your low leveled character/alt. Killing someone once might be OK, but when you're making a habit out of making sure they have zero chance of playing due to stalking them over and over again...
  14. gabers1

Yes, but every one of the descriptions in this poll can describe a new player. This is why the new player definition should just be looked at as that- a new player. I am not certain I would say new players have a 'tendency' to fall under the category of asking for handouts, I think some certainly will but I am not sure I would categorize this as a tendency. I often see a lot of people on alts asking for handouts as if they deserve a handout due to already leveling another character.

If the category would have stated: new player that asks for handouts, new player that spams chat, new player that refuses to listen to constructive advice...ect then I can possibly see that category getting votes. New player by itself, I think that category should have zero votes.
    MrDreadful likes this.
  15. Livnthedream

What gives you that idea?

"Tendency" strongly implies in my experience.

I disagree that all of them can be fit to "new player".

I also disagree that it should have no votes. Some people do not like dealing with incompetence, even with the excuse of being a newbie. Considering that "slow learning players" is also attached to it furthers that feeling.
  16. gabers1

Then you would be wrong. :cool:

My statement was that every one of the descriptions in this poll could describe a new player. I did not state that every one of the descriptions describe all new players.

You could have a new player that insists they are solo queue and sign up for group content. You can have a new player that will not accept advice from day one thinking their skill is above everyone. You can have a new player that spams chat and you can have a new player that is unresponsive in pve and/or pvp

I did not suggest that there are some players that would not be annoyed purely because a new player might be slow nor did I state that the category cannot have votes. I simply stated that the category ‘should’ have no votes. Should as in a verb suggesting a probable or expected outcome sometimes even referencing the ‘right thing to do’.

You are free to disagree all you want as that is the great thing about opinions (when expressed as opinions)- we all have them. Some are just more realistic and accurate than others. ;)
  17. Livnthedream

Except most of those things do not happen because they are new, where as new players tend towards being needy in terms of information/gear. They see helpful people and latch onto them as a source and then get butthurt when that source dries up.

Right thing to do implies there is a moral standard on the internet, which considering the vast size and difference of its "community" I call bs to. You can attempt to apply your own rules to it, but in my experience the only rules that matter are the ones of whatever forum you are on.
  18. gabers1

But the discussion was not regarding frequency of occurrence, it was discussing whether or not it could apply. You keep attempting to twist my statements into another argument (twice on this one already) but I am not going to follow you down each rabbit hole.

Call BS all you want, I call this another rabbit hole.

There is always a moral standard- even on the internet. Whether it is the one each and every one of us applies when interacting on the internet or the one that is accepted by most, there are standards. Your standards just appear to differ from mine. This does not preclude me from suggesting what 'should' be a standard which is exactly what I did when I made the original statement that I think there 'should' have been no votes for new players.

In the poll situation I posted on (prior to being dragged toward the rabbit hole), there were 118 votes and only 4 of those suggested that they found new players really annoying. Considering there are hundreds of members on this forum and only 4 votes for new players being regarded as annoying, I think the results are closer to my moral standard than yours.

No more rabbit holes LTD- will not continue to follow you down them. :down:
  19. Livnthedream

So you want to try an argue semantics and call it a rabbit hole?

No there is not. Morals are determined by society by which there is not one on the internet. This is why its moral to commit genocide in many parts of the world while much the rest of the world considers it a heinous crime.
  20. gabers1

Not gonna do it LTD......... LMAO :roflamo: