1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Underwater Exploration

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by ImmortalExile, Aug 23, 2011.

1. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

How important is this to YOU?
    Is the ability and possibility to explore murky watery depths a necessity? In my opinion, it is not- however, I feel that the exploration of a world wholly depends on the ability to see what the deep blue is hiding.
    When I think about it, swimming in a vast lake and seeing the ruins of an old sunken Eldar temple or mechanism half buried in the floor of that body of water- I want to check that bad boy out! Maybe a Datacube would be there, or maybe some loot... who knows. I kept hearing in the videos that the developers wanted to reward players for paying attention and "seeing" their game.

Now, I don't know about all MMO's, but I believe the majority do have some form of underwater exploration. I know Guild Wars 2 has it planned to a very massive extent... what is the possibility of seeing this in WildStar? Underwater combat, maybe? Creatures that can only be found in the darkest parts of water that may be needed for crafting... good possibilities.
  2. Autumnal

Autumnal Cupcake-About-Town

I think that underwater exploration *should* be included. A "lost" cavern, only accessible by a drainage outlet, silt-covered relics, ect.

If you think about it, anything protected by water is less likely to be disturbed, as opposed to something more conveniently terrestrial. One can wander around all day and "find" stuff, but only the dedicated seeker would discover treasures at the risk of "getting wet".

If you think about it, you have a visible cave on your left, and an unassuming lake on your right. Which one do you think would be completely pillaged first? Which one more likely to still hold treasures?
  3. Nonsensicles

Nonsensicles Cupcake-About-Town

The ocean is still the most mysterious place on Earth today, and there's more discoveries of new species and phenomena under there than any other environment. It would be a shame if the explorers and scientists don't get to dip into the waters of Nexus.
  4. ImmortalExile

Excellent points! I believe the developers are probably on the same page and see their world as having an infinite possibility with discoveries, exploration, and additional content.
  5. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

At gamescom an aquatic mob was shown in the live art demo (visible from 4m40s on this video) so I can't imagine why we wouldn't be!
  6. Pontianak

Pontianak Cupcake

I absolutely love underwater areas in video games. I grew up as a competitive swimmer, and I've also fallen in love with the ocean. I am pretty sure I'm part fish, and any and all underwater areas are always a very welcome addition for me.
  7. .selebu

.selebu Cupcake

Well, keeping in mind that this is a sci-fi/fantasy game, there are lots and lots of options for underwater discoveries.

First of all, you could have submarines to explore the deepest parts of the oceans. Or some diving equipment as well. Both which could be obtained via quests. Explorers could get even better diving equipment (better air tanks for a longer/deeper dive) through their path quests~
    Some for soldiers with harpoons or stuff like that or scientists with some kind of water anaylisis tools~

And then there might be sunk ruins to find as well as whole underwater bases...

Oh the possibilities
  8. aspira

aspira Founding Member

This. The new aquatic mob they designed (the Metal Maw) is going to be in the game come release, or at least that is what was said during the event when it was drawn.

Since an aquatic mob is going to be in the game, can we assume underwater content will be in ?
  9. Phiqu

Phiqu Cupcake-About-Town

The swim/dive animations are already in. Look here [click].
    So i'm sure water and underwater areas will be in game.
    Brotoi and MistaMike like this.
  10. .selebu

.selebu Cupcake

The question is if there will only be little ponds or great seas =D
  11. ImmortalExile

Thanks, Phiqu! I hadn't seen that video... well, I think it is safe to assume we will be going underwater after all.