1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

"Useless" tradeskills, done simply for sport.

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by printerpaper, May 28, 2013.

1. printerpaper

printerpaper Cupcake

I loved fishing in EQ1. It had a fun an involving aspect to it that not everyone used. In EQ1, you had a simple, RNG system, based on your skill level, for catching fish. Not unlike WoW. Beyond this little simple system, it also had a bait and tackle system, where by searching out random bits of trash loot (bee wings, beetle legs, etc) and combining them in your tacklebox, you would create specialized bait. This specialized bait was useable then, to catch unique fish, dependent upon the area you used it in. Each type of bait only worked on a specific fish, in a specific zone, so you had to research. I wasted countless hours running around the world, gathering components to make the required bait, and then wasted even more time, tracking down the rare fish for each zone in Norrath.

This was a massive waste of time, but I personally had a lot of fun with it, and considering this, would like to see similar "useless" tradeskills in Wildstar. I have a few ideas in this realm.

1) Cooking is obviously, everyone's favorite "useless" tradeskill, and many MMOs have included it. It should be implemented in Wildstar as well.

2) EQ1 style fishing. Rare and uncommon fish should be catchable, and be accessable with specialized bait, crafted by the player. Generally, I would think the bait should be player bound, but being able to sell it wouldn't be entirely out of the question. Some may enjoy the fishing, while others might simply enjoy creating the bait for others to use. Add in the ability to turn these rare fish into stuffed wall trophies for our player homes, and you'll have an addictive time waster anyone can enjoy.

3) Similar to the fishing concept, I would enjoy hunting and stuffing Big Game, and then displaying my trophies in my player house. Some sort of drop, only lootable by a hunter should be implemented here, which would then be used to make your trophy. Add in RARE versions of wild animals, perhaps only trackable by a hunter, and of much higher strength or ability, and you'll have game that is extremely covet-able for display in your home.

4) Farming is included, which is good. So what about including a flower breeding tradeskill. By taking wild seeds of flowers, perhaps only lootable by a breeder, you can work down different cross breeding lines and unlock rare and unique flowers for your player housing gardens.
    Psistorm, JoeDragon, Naunet and 2 others like this.
  2. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

I've never been much on fishing (though it's a useful activity when I'm on voice with a particular and somewhat longwinded guild member), but I would fiddle with that flower growing system until I died from dehydration. That's just the sort of thing that gives me some kind of feeling of accomplishment, from being able to see my lovely garden, without necessarily bringing the game economy into it.

I'd enjoy the hunting idea as well, but I was actually under the impression that the game was already going to allow us to mount certain raid bosses in our houses, even without any kind of tradeskill being involved.
    printerpaper likes this.
  3. printerpaper

printerpaper Cupcake

Didn't hear about the boss trophies. Kinda cool. But either way, I would prefer to have a stuffed RARE albino (insert:random-creature) that I tracked and killed, over some raid boss's head that everyone else has. :)
  4. Coblago

Coblago New Cupcake

Home decorators. I'll pay $$ to just have someone decorate my house. I suck at being creative for things like that.
  5. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

As long as i can have a Male Mechari on a pink outfit(Tuxedo obviously) with a redrose on his chest a equally pink tophat, a monacle and a pointy mechanical mustache.
    count me in for a decorator
    Coblago likes this.
  6. Samsquanch

Samsquanch Cupcake

I'm all about what you're talking about OP.
  7. Dualist

Dualist Cupcake-About-Town

Might I suggest

[​IMG]
    BonusStage likes this.
  8. JoeDragon

JoeDragon Cupcake-About-Town

Secondary Trades are deifnitely a good thing. I really like the plant cultivation idea. Fishing and hunting along with rare fish/game (That could potentially yield trophies) are also a great idea.
  9. Psistorm

Psistorm Cupcake-About-Town

The OP has some cool stuff there. I do especially like the idea of hunting and stuffing animals so you can display them as a trophy in your home. That idea is fairly novel, and I rather enjoy the concept. It would be cool for people who enjoy hunting, aka completionists who want all those most dangerous animals in their home, and people who enjoy decorating their house etc. I can see it appeal to quite a variety of players.

As for cooking, it is a nice profession, yes. I'd like to see it included in some way, perhaps not necessarily a useless profession, but maybe something that only offers small benefits, to give a bit more substance to it.
    Same for fishing, it can be a cooking tie-in as well as just give some fun results like fishing up a mob with the right bait etc.
  10. Lsya

Lsya Cupcake-About-Town

I agree with what the OP is saying. Fishing was great in EQ. You could fish for fun, use the fish as food, cook the fish into better foos, or sell it to a cook for profit.

The skill progression was great. Even swimming had a skill associated with it. The better you got at swimming, the faster you were.

I enjoy taking time off from fighting just to do things like that.

I'm really interested in the skills like that in WS. I notice that in the "Paths" players can benefit from each other path skills. Such as using someone's campfire is a benefit to the user and the campfire builder. That's pretty cool.