1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Wacom...

Discussion in 'WildStar Fan Creations' started by Xlugon Pyro, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Thought I'd start a thread on this. I'm looking to get an art tablet for the holidays (at least decide what I want before Black Friday to capitalize on good deals) and virtually everyone I've talked to mentioned wacom so obviously I'll get one of those but I checked the site and I have no idea where to start.

I'm an amateur and have virtually never have done digital art so I have no clue which model/series to go for. I don't even know what questions to ask myself.

What I do know is I do want something decent sized, neither huge nor tiny. That is vague but I don't know what size would be most comfortable for me. I think I can rule out the extremities though. I also want something that is friendly towards beginners, but is something that can produce professional level or close to it quality of work with the right amount of talent. In other words, I want something that won't hit a ceiling too quickly as I become a better artist. It also should be long lasting so that I can use it for years. Obviously I also want a decent price that doesn't totally break the bank but I'm willing to pay a little extra to get the quality, size, and longevity that I want.

Something else I'm concerned about: the software. Do wacoms come with any decent software or will I have to get my own to put on there? If they do come with them, can I add others on there or just use the ones I'm given? If I can add other programs, which would you recommend and/or which ones included with the wacom are the most versatile and beginner friendly? Also, how easy is it to get started using the device, especially for specific programs? I really don't know anything here so making a decision is next to impossible. :p

My desires may be unreasonable, but that's also why I'm posting this. I'd like to hear from you all and help me figure out which one I should set my sights on. :) If you have any further questions you feel are necessary to help me out, feel free to ask them.
    Siflay likes this.
  2. Death

Death Cupcake-About-Town

I got my Wacom bamboo for $50 refurbished on amazon. It works. It's not ideal. Ideal to me would be a fancy monitor that I could draw directly onto, seeing my work beneath the stylus as I draw. But ...as for software, it came with some pretty cool stuff that I almost never use...the ability to change what the buttons do on the stylus and the orientation of the tablet were the only things I messed with. The tablet works just fine with GIMP, which is the program I use most often...So to sum up...it's better than not having a tablet, and if I had to do it again...for the price I got, I would. But you may personally want to consider a larger or more expensive model. Still, I think a fancy monitor will always be superior but they're just too costly.
  3. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

Which Wacom tablet should I buy? Results from the past year.

Results from the past three months. Good luck in your search.

Wacom Customer Care 1-800-922-6613
    Monday - Thursday
    7:30am to 5pm (Pacific Time)
    Friday
    8:30am to 5pm (Pacific Time)
  4. Infinight

Infinight New Cupcake

I just recently started digital art myself and just found wacom based off of the numerous recommendations I have have gotten from my friends as well as online. But not being an artist at all myself and trying to find a cheap, yet helpful, way to start can be intimidating.

So I was in the same boat as you about a month ago but I promise I do have helpful advise! My girlfriend actually got a wacom Intuos Pro 4 ago a year ago and had it in her closet and could not find any practical use for it with what she works on, so once I told her that I wanted to give digital art a try we both remembered she had one and I have been using it ever since.

I have nothing but positive things to say about the intuos. It has amazing accuracy as well as pressure responsiveness and gives a starter more than anything I would ever need. This is even using last years model, I can imagine the Intuos 5 is even better. The pen has some great built in features such as turning the pen upside down is set to an eraser as default which I found quite helpful but also the tablet itself is 100% customizable with buttons on the pen as well as hotkeys on the side for quick switching between tools and colors. If you don't mind not having a screened tablet to start with I highly recommend it, the Intuos 5 is actually quite affordable compared to other similar products.

Now the hard part is software. Depending on how hardcore of an artist you are currently it is hard to recommend anything apart from what I use.

Like I said before I am just starting off but I have fallen in love with using Sketchbook Pro from Autodesk. It has all of the drawing and painting features of most of the other programs out there as well as a sleek and easy to navigate user interface. They offer a great 15 day trial that only takes away days as you use them so depending on how busy you are you can make that last quite awhile. The software itself will run you about $60 once the trial is over but I think you will agree its hard not to buy it once you complete the trial.

I hope I didnt babble too much as I am really excited that someone else on here is starting up as well! Feel free to message me with any questions about the tablet or about sketchbook pro and I will do my best to help!

I actually got interested in digital art just by seeing all of the fan art on Wildstar Central, so shout out to all you talented guys and gals on here :)

Good luck!
    Infinight
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  5. Xlugon Pyro

Thanks for giving your feedback. It'll help a lot.

What is a "screened tablet"? Forgive my ignorance. XD
  6. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

The device has its own LED monitor. You can see what you're drawing on the tablet itself.

My advice: Intuos. Forget Bamboo. You can get a Monoprice, which is cheaper and last time I checked, has better stats. Wacom is nothing special till you get an Intuous.

For Software: last I heard, it doesn't come with any special software you can actually use for drawing. Go get Paint SAI; it's an excellent program that a lot of artists use because it is simple and flexible. 30 bucks, I think?
  7. Xlugon Pyro

So it's like I'm drawing on paper, then? If so, I think I'd prefer that unless some of you more experienced artists don't recommend it for whatever reasons.

I'm leaning towards Intuos ATM but they got a lot of Intuos models. XD
  8. ruff_ethereal

Yes. Cintiq, the top-of-the-line tablet, is like drawing on paper. I can't vouch if it feels like drawing on paper, though. (The guys at Family Guy and other high-profile cartoons use this as a standard, if it helps.)

If you want the feeling of drawing on paper, Intuous is perfect.

3 and 4 is good. Many have complained that 5 is terrible, because it's too rough and eats nibs too quickly.
  9. Xlugon Pyro

And Intuos are screened tablets too?

How so? I'm not well versed in tablets but I have a hard time envisioning a "rough" tablet. And what do you mean by eating nibs?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm an amateur. :p
  10. ruff_ethereal

It's perfectly fine.

Intuous are not screened. You will have to look at the monitor while your hand the pen on the tablet. It takes some getting used to, but you'll be able to draw without looking at the tablet eventually.

Edit: <REDACTED>, misremembered what "Rough" they were talking about.

"Rough" also in that nibs wear out faster than usual. It's made to feel more and more like actual paper and other traditional medium, and in doing that, they wear out just as fast as regular pencils.

"Nibs" are the plastic tips of pens. They wear out with use, and you will eventually have to replace them. Wacom sells replacements. Be sure to get them out in time or you will have a case of "unusable pen" where the nib is so tiny you can't take it out anymore.
  11. Xlugon Pyro

Alright, thanks a lot. I'll keep that all in mind.
  12. Pocketz

Pocketz Cupcake-About-Town

For a beginner I wouldn't recommend any tablet above 100 USD. Because what those tablets provide is just too gadgety and have many features a beginner does not use.
    The main difference and what most pay for is the difference in pressure level. (The sensitivity of it mimicking real life pen strokes)

However, Wacom is the only brand I will discuss as its the only brand, in my opinion, that you should even look at and I wont talk about the Cintq as its a tablet for professionals only. (the one with the LED screen)

Wacom has done some name changes recently:

Intuos 5 -> Intuos Pro
    The Bamboo -> Intuos S
    They also have a new tablet called Intuos Manga.

The only thing that sets these tablets apart is pressure sensitivity and gadget, since they all provide different sizes and color.

Pressure sensitivity:
    Intuos Pro: 2048
    Intuos : 1024
    Intuos Manga: 1024

The Intuos Manga comes with Manga studio and anime studio software, which is what is different from the Intuos.

For a beginner I would recommend the Intuos, it will introduce you to drawing digitally and have good pressure sensitivity for you to do really good art.
    If you do however, have loads of money, there is no reason to not buy the Intuos Pro, its simply the best.

When it comes to sizes, I would recommend getting a small or medium size, leaning more towards the medium.
    The large is more for big canvas art, with big brushstrokes. Something a beginner or a cartoonist really doesn't practice.

www.wacom.com
    When comparing the intuoses, make sure that you get what you want. Some have eraser tips some dont, some come with extra software others dont.

When it comes down to it its all about what you want to do with it, but at the end of the day, you can't go wrong with a wacom.

Hope this helps!
    Revon and Xlugon Pyro like this.
  13. ruff_ethereal

Pocketz likes this.
  14. Xlugon Pyro

15. OZtheWiZARD

OZtheWiZARD New Cupcake

From my experience I would say that the level of pressure is the most important thing to look at when searching for a tablet as this will allow you to mimic natural process of drawing easily and more accurate. Drawing surface size is somewhat secondary attribute and you can always work around this.
    Cintiq is an amazing tool and if money are not an issue I would recommend to go for one or if you know you're gonna use it to generate some income. Is as close to natural painting/ drawing as close you can be.