1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Warrior name change?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Catdurid, May 28, 2013.

?

Should the Warrior class get a new name?

1. YES! The badassness shall only increase!

65.9%
  2. NOOOO! /throw massive sword.

34.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

Although I assume that the Dominion have an organisation equivalent to the Free Companies of Nexus I feel those organisations are more tied to the Paths (like Scientists will be members of the Exile Academy of Science [XAS] or the Dominion's Collegium) so the name would have to be a generic reflection of the combat style rather than denote a position (you could just be some buy who picked up a sword!).

Warrior does get to the point but is perhaps a little too fantasy-themed. Hmmm... I can see the point so let's see what my mind comes up with.
    • Blademaster
    • Swordsman
    • Blade/Sword Marshal (named for William the Marshal)
    • Deathblade
    • Bladeweaver
    Nothing else really comes to mind right now!
    Dysp likes this.
  2. Dysp

Dysp Cupcake-About-Town

I like the sound of Bladeweaver, but that does somewhat imply magic.. or weaving. I also like Battler.

Just throwing out some ideas:
    • Splitter
    • Thug
    • Tornado
    • Shredder
    • Grunt
    • Renegade
    • Chopper (was this a Warhammer class?)
    • Slasher (Stoneslasher! deflate those stones...)
    • Warhound
    • Wrangler
    • Wildcat
    • Wrecker
    • Ragamuffin...
    ..(trying to think of more W-names)...
    • Wrathmaster 2000
    ... bleh...

I wonder how easy it would be for them to change a class name, such as in the lore and all the class variables, hunting down all those instances of "CLASS_NAME"... wait..
  3. Scoriae

Scoriae Cupcake

All good names :) Some more suggestions:
    • Fighter
    • Brawler
    • Aggressor
    • Champion
    • Mercenary
    • Warmonger
    • Commando
    • Destroyer
    But I personally don't mind just "Warrior" and I doubt it will be changed.
  4. canoptek

canoptek New Cupcake

i think mercenary is a great name for the warrior.
  5. Kaelang

Kaelang Cupcake-About-Town

I'm feeling Renegade, but it sounds more ranged to me.
  6. F8L Fool

F8L Fool Cupcake-About-Town

Since the Warrior's main stats are Brutality and Tech, plus it uses only tech-swords, ripsaw shields and plasma cannons, so I would like something that blends those themes together. When I think of the term warrior in relation to MMO's all that comes to mind is overpowering brute force, not technology of any kind.

If anything I'd say that the Warrior is more like a Soldier in terms of combat capabilities and fighting styles; versatile, mass weaponry, tough, rugged, uses advanced technology.

So my suggestions would be these:
    • Soldier
    • Marine
    • Mercenary
    • Warmonger
    • Warhound
    • Commando
    • Operative
    I only stuck to one word names due to the trend of not having two names. I personally prefer the Lineage 2 model where they freely intertwine one and two word class titles. I feel it would work especially well in Wildstar.
  7. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

It's kind of hard to think of names that would fit with both Exile and Dominion. Renegade sounds neat for Exile, but doesn't seem to fit so well for Dominion.
  8. Dracor

Dracor New Cupcake

A friend of mine was talking about this the other day, felt that it didn't quite fit the Wildstar theme, especially after the CBT2 primary stat renaming. Out of the suggested ones in this thread Warlord really does it for me. Still very identifiable, and just genuinely similar while bringing it out of the usual fantasy/low tech connotations Warrior has.
  9. Mazaik

Mazaik New Cupcake

I like the name warrior. Sure, making the classes as WS themed as possible is something I'm totally behind, changing the name seems a bit of a stretch. The warrior class is just that, a warrior. Big swords, heavy armor, intimidating presence, its got the full monty! To change the name would take away from the warrior, that beast of melee combat, and that essential gear in everyone's machine.

This will be the biggest stigma associated with the name.
  10. Seahorse

Seahorse New Cupcake

Warrior does seem pretty bland after the name has been used in just about every MMO or RPG out there, but at least you know what you're getting. At the same time I wouldn't be against a name change either.

Maybe something like Guardian could fit?
  11. Mazaik

Mazaik New Cupcake

After much thought, I must make a list of name-changes:
    Assailant, Contender, Scrapper.

But I still like Warrior the most.
  12. crowsong

crowsong Cupcake-About-Town

Your ideology makes complete sense for a future of our current understanding of reality, but this is alternate reality, progression in warfare and technology could literally advance any which way.

On topic; I think something along the lines of Brute, or Stalwart fit perfectly.
    Brute - very strong; animal-like.
    Stalwart - Strong, valiant.

A more flavorful name.
    Bladeraider - (combining two words like spell-slinger)
  13. Dualist

Dualist Cupcake-About-Town

Honestly it has nothing to do with my "idealogy", it's just common sense than in open large-scale conflict, projectile based weaponry is always going to have a significant advantage over melee weaponry assuming all parties in the battle are of equal skill, aKa balanced. Even in films like Star Wars, how often did the focus of combat shift to melee skill? The normal guys were always focused on bigger and better guns. People can hardly be held to the standards of Jedi as a whole.
  14. Joukehainen

Joukehainen Well-Known Cupcake

I like Marauder, Champion (yay Lotro!), Vanguard.

But regardless, I think the name "Warrior" should be changed to reflect the setting better. It's currently a bit too bland. :B
  15. Kluzu

Kluzu Cupcake

Templar, gladiator, raider.. there's a lot of different names that could fit.
  16. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

Warrior is fine, imho. You see it used a lot in fantasy not because it's specific to fantasy but because it's a simple, stable term that adequately conveys both a sense of proficiency at combat and a certain quality of character.

By this token, stalkers shouldn't be called stalkers because stalkers are weird, creepy people who follow other people around and get restraining orders put on them. One narrow context of a broader term.

I don't think there's any replacenament name for the Warrior class that wouldn't pigeonhole it into something it's not. Warrior is good precisely because it's so generic. A granok, draken, or Cassian might all be warriors, but that doesn't mean they have anything in common beyond the shared pursuit of armed violence with comparable arsenals. The Cassian might be a Dominion enforcer, the granok might be a mercenary, and the draken might be a tribal gladiator. All three of those would be fine class names, but each one of them would be wrong for the other two. Warrior captures a bit of the spirit from each one.
  17. Reykjavik

Reykjavik New Cupcake

I don't mind it.. I think there is something out that may or may not be more creative, and Wildstar-ish. That being said, Carbine Dev's are pretty smart... and we haven't set foot on Nexus yet, so.. maybe there is more to the 'Warrior' inside the lore?
  18. crowsong

crowsong Cupcake-About-Town

I don't think you understand the idea of fiction lol. You can essentially make whatever you want the norms in a fictional world. You can even make melee weapons as viable as range, in this case W*.
  19. Zwipe

Zwipe Cupcake

Brute
    Hackslasher
    Cleaver
    Meatshield
    Bulldozer
    Blade Marine
    Frontman
    Devastator
  20. nednerb

nednerb New Cupcake