1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Warrior vs. Rogue aka Tank Fight

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Skean, May 4, 2013.

1. Skean

Skean Cupcake

Half way between hell and the state of confusion.
    Ok, so I did a quick search to see if I could find anything and well, nada. So, I thought I'd start a little fire.

I play a rogue as my main in ever game I get into. The ability to stealth, sneak up on folks and say 'hi' with a knife to the back, it's well...soothing? OK, maybe not but it's good for a laugh. Now, when I was in WoW, I hated the fact that I couldn't tank. I mean how was it not possible? Stealth into a group of mobs or boss and start the fight. If only I had threat control.
    Then Rift came alone...oh Rift...and your tanking Rogues. It was glorious. Yeah the Warriors and Guardians could tank, but come one. Tanking while wearing leather? Being able to rift jump behind a boss before he can hit you? That was awesome.

Now, we come to WS. Looking through the classes I see Stalker...with a tank role. As you can probably guess I am extremely stoked. This is the greatest thing ever.

So, OK, done rambling now. What say others in this? Do you prefer the heavy armor wearing, sword and shield carrying warrior to be the first man in? Or do you enjoy having a slick talking rogue stab a boss in back of the leg before nuking him?

Happy hunting

S.
    Ariston likes this.
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I myself am a sucker for (good looking) heavy armor wearing dudes :up:

Nothing gives me more pleasure then wearing big ass shield with awesome looking heavy armor, being able to soack up lot's of damage while still being able to dodge enough.

And what i love more are the shield they use......sigh.....i so hope they have some shield wearing tanking monster that i can love :inlove:

Although in WoW i prefered the druid's tank playstyle......so i always had a bit of envy towards those with nice good looking, big ass shield.

But a rogue/druid like tank with more dodging or something like that can work, although i like medium/leather armor less then heavy or light/cloth.

Heavy armour > Cloth/light armor (those robes...love it) > Medium/leather armour.
    But that's how i prefer it.
  3. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Hmm I see stalker tanking to be in the same veins Druid. Although this is all speculation , but I do remember hearing the stalker has suits or modes that he can toggle on, one being a tank mode.
  4. Skean

Skean Cupcake

I'm actually hoping they do something like the Riftstalker. Threat was easy to manage and the shifting around to keep the boss moving was nice. Easy to kite when needed and kept out of major attacks if you were quick enough.

I had a hard time tanking as a druid, bear was too slow for me. Yeah he could handle the hits but I prefer moving and hitting a little faster.
  5. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Hopefully it turns out the way you like it !
    Malorak likes this.
  6. Outburstz

Outburstz Cupcake-About-Town

A rogue that can tank just makes no sense to me. I mean the whole point of a rogue is to be stealthy and have the power to start the battle on their terms. Having them able to tank as well just seems odd to me. They should be dodging and trying to take out the opponent as fast as possible.

As a person who always plays a warrior(tank or dps) with heavy armor I shouldn't be out tanked by a rogue wearing leather. Just my personal opinion
  7. Dysp

Dysp Cupcake-About-Town

I'd think a lighter armored unit would probably tank more with evasion. I don't quite remember, but I think that's what the ranger class in Aion did. It does sound like the stalker might be more like the Shadow/Assassin or druid by having an armor boost ability/mode. There are energy shields in W*, so maybe they have access to much more powerful shields, rather than having high armor. It'll be interesting to see how it works out and what the third tank will be. I'd like to see as many ways as possible to tank in an mmo, just as long as they're relatively equivalent. All of them being walking iron-walls would be a bit boring. If I had to choose one, I'd probably go with the lighter armored tank, just because it's less common in games.
    Verilyn and Malorak like this.
  8. Evion

Evion WildStar Haiku Winner 2012

The rogue-tank has always made me think of a more swashbuckler-like archetype, rather than the sneaky thief. They're the ones standing in front, taunting and laughing as they hold the ire of their opponents. Unlike their heavy-armored warrior brethren, who take blows to the face and reply with a grin and "Please sir, can I have another?" the swashbuckler rogue tank follows the survival rule of Be Somewhere Else. They're all about redirecting the force of the blows, parrying and riposting and leading their enemies to stumble.

Now, if we take this into Wildstar's known lore, the Stalkers have implanted nano machines that enhance them in many ways, like reflexes and cloaking. Enhanced shielding and endurance wouldn't be too far of a stretch. Are they going to tank via evasion/misdirection, or by shield and health mitigation? That part remains to be seen.
  9. Skean

Skean Cupcake

It's not a matter of a rogue out tanking a warrior. It's just a different style. With plate you can run head first into a boss and start hitting him. You have the gear to protect you. With a rogue it's totally different. We have to move around more to avoid being hit too hard.
    Saying one is better then the other is a futile argument. It's completely dependent on your playing style.

Exactly. I'm really looking forward to seeing how WS does this. It could be incredible, it could also go horribly wrong. Of course, I"m betting on it being awesome.

/Maybe we could get a video showcasing a Stalker tank...ahh..one could wish
  10. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

I'm going to play stalker and while I love to tank and DPS i love to heal. I hope one of there suit modes and hit and heal abilities.. or at least shield regen abilities :)

A leather Duster cloak wearing Tank, Ohhh Yeahhh! He uses nano shields for his main defense so why not look cool doing it :p Sci-fi anyways don't need to look like a brick house though it does have intimidation factor :)

Heavy armor can look cool too but I like a more Mobile look hehe.
  11. Evion

Evion WildStar Haiku Winner 2012

A Stalker Tank... Sooo a Stanker? :D
  12. Skean

Skean Cupcake

*sniff*.....I had a shower... :/
  13. MassFragg

MassFragg Cupcake

With the combat system that they have in wildstar, I can see all classes being able to tank. Even a spell slinger using defensive abilities like wow's frost barrier for frost mages. This is all speculation right now, but a spell slinger with a defensive spec tanking... that sounds cool to me!
  14. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

Ohhh lol let the nicknames commence haha. Ill want to roll DPS stalker but if they duel spec i might Stank offspec:p
  15. Eldryth

Eldryth Cupcake

When I first read about this, I thought it would be like the Jedi Shadow/Sith Assassin from TOR- whatever you feel about the game, those classes were pretty cool and flexible (could be a good tank using force barriers, a stealthy rogue, or a hybrid force/melee fighter). After Carbine released the leaked notes though... the mention of Suits sounds more like a WoW druid, only without the annoying lack of gear models while shapeshifted- as a long-time Druid, this would be amazing if they had a heal spec!
  16. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

unfortunately in the description on main website they are DPS/Tank I would really love self heal abilities though!! kinda like Blood DK in WoW. Or Recoup from a rogue.
  17. Inukeu

Inukeu Well-Known Cupcake

I thought this was a pvp discussion after reading the title heh Warrior tank vs Stalker tank anyway nice read

I havnt really seen how dodge tanks work but I imagine there fun, I played a warrior tank in WoW as my main for 6 years with my big ass shield and heavy armour getting in the face of the bosses and screaming "hit me!" would be fun to jump about and poke at em being more of a ninja :D
  18. Skean

Skean Cupcake

I really fell in love with it during my Rift time. The mechanics and play style are so totally different then your typical tank. I've played both and prefer the rogue.
    Get into the bosses room, have everyone hold back for a bit, stealth, sneak up, backstab and jump behind the boss hit him again and everyone else joins in. Good fun.
  19. keith-stone

keith-stone New Cupcake

The tanking Stalker sounds similar to a Shadow Tank in SWTOR.

Shadows are a stealth based light armor class that has the ability to tank. The are pretty dependent on their personal shield generators and cool downs to stay alive. I had one that I used as a PvP tank.

The advantages for a stealth tank lie in being able to set up the encounter as they wish. Stealth classes usually have some sort of sap ability so as the tank they would be able to sap the add they felt needed it and then sneak up and engage. Having ligt armor meant they were pretty mobile so they were able to react quickly to avoid damage or come to a group members aid.

I'll probably roll a Stalker tank and a Spellslinger healer.
  20. Haoli

Haoli Cupcake-About-Town

Evasion-style tanks have typically been an absolute nightmare for developers to keep balanced in the past, because it's mindbogglingly hard to balance around the fact if the mitigation isn't there to take the hits properly, lucky hits will always kill your evasion tanker eventually.

Rift rogues and TERA warriors off the top of my head both went through numerous re-balances in order to try and keep them in line with Mitigation-style tanks, as well as the 'HP sponge' style tanks.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the concept---but balancing it in any situation where being hit in some way is inevitable is really, really hard. On the other hand, if it's possible for a very skilled tank to avoid all boss attacks (IE: no auto-strike attacks, all avoidable telegraphs), then it just might work.