1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Warrior vs. Rogue aka Tank Fight

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Skean, May 4, 2013.

1. popober

popober Cupcake-About-Town

I know exactly what you mean. I tried making an Evasion tank in TSW and, while the game isn't as action heavy the concept is still there, though it has upsides to a Glance tank in that it can completely avoid damage, you had to pump so much into your Eva stat just to get a meager base 30% chance, which left your other defensive stats lacking. So when the attacks DO get through, everything hurts like hell and our healer kept getting aggro as he had to heal me so much.

But still, I like the idea of a dodge tank, instead of standing there and taking the smack to the face letting that 3inch thick faceplate save you, you instead dart and dodge all over the place, taunting and poking your target to annoy the hell out of him so he keeps his attention focused on you.
  2. Ariston

Ariston New Cupcake

If I decide to roll a tank, it would probably be a stalker. I also enjoyed unique style of rogue tanking in RIFT.
    Skean likes this.
  3. Anoteros

Anoteros Cupcake

And here I thought Stalkers could only DPS :confused:
    Shame on me for not reading the class info on the WS site more thoroughly.
  4. Morgrihmm

Morgrihmm New Cupcake

I can see it now level ## Super Stank looking for group for fun times and loot. haha
    Skean likes this.
  5. Skean

Skean Cupcake

Half way between hell and the state of confusion.
    yeah, I'm going to have to steal that....
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  6. Bucket

Bucket New Cupcake

I prefer armor tanks.. :)
  7. Red_Death01

Red_Death01 Cupcake-About-Town

I prefer a tank that has a lot of health, armor, and can heal themselves so they dont need a healer as well as pop some survivals while doing tons of damage... Wait I'm thinking death knights before the massive nerfs hit.... For wildstar I'm hoping to be a mobile tank as dodging around constantly sounds both fun and entertaining but, may get tiring if all I can do is dodge.... I'm hoping threat generation as well as position and dodging play as much of a role or I'll be that guy rolling all over the place and eventually will grow tired of spamming something like that.
  8. Mierelle

Mierelle Cupcake-About-Town

Always been a fan of sub-roles within the roles i.e. AoE tank, soaker tank, evasion tank etc. Even though I always sees the heavy armored warrior was the main tank I want to see different kind of classes help out with all other threats going on.

With the sci-fi theme I can imagine the stalker tech work out something like either useing it for: staying out of sight/threat dealing high amount of damage or granting mitigation (avoidance/armor) and dealing high amount of threat.
  9. Skean

Skean Cupcake

Half way between hell and the state of confusion.
    Agreed. This is why I think the Stalker tank will work exceedingly well. If the telegraph system is going to work like they say, tanks will need to be highly mobile. And well, nothing against plate wearers, but you do tend to be a little slow eh? And no, I don't mean mentally, although...:cautious:
  10. Isgu

Isgu Cupcake-About-Town

Not really sure about this, but does anyone know if warrior tanks will be able to use shields or something of the sort at all? I remember hearing somewhere that there is going to be 1 weapon type per class (which I'm fine with). That would take block out of the equation, and block was one of the more reliable mitigation stats in recent mmo's, so I wonder what would "replace" it? Deflection perhaps?

Also I don't think there will be a problem with Stalker tanks, Rift has solved that pretty well with adding deflection and all of the role specific buffs and cooldowns. As long as they keep the different tanks viable for everything to some degree...

As for one of the missing classes, the "Rifle wielder" (assuming its a dps/tank class) - SWTOR Vanguard/Bounty Hunter type anyone?

Edit. Nvm my first question, just saw this thread http://wildstar-central.com/index.php?threads/a-class-that-uses-a-shield.3338/
  11. Samsquanch

Samsquanch Cupcake

Nothing beats the warrior tank archetype imho.
  12. Outburstz

Outburstz Cupcake-About-Town

Ok looking at the patch notes from a few weeks ago I don't think the stalker will be the dodge tank that everyone seems to think.

Tech: Rank - 1 [Survivalist]
    • When you are Crit you will restore 150% Tech in shields, this can only happen once every 6 seconds.
    • Tech: Rank - 2 [Don't Call it a Comeback]
      • When you die, you summon a clone that, while active, deals 15% Brutality damage every 1.25s and taunts nearby enemies. The clone lasts up to 10 seconds or until killed. This can only occur every 3 minutes.
    • Tech: Rank - 3[Make it Count]
      • When damaged below 30% health your shields are fully restored and your Assault and Support Power are increased 10% for 8 seconds. This can only occur every 2 minutes.
    • Tech: Rank - 4 [My Turn]
      • When you take damage you gain a counter, at 16 counters, nearby enemies will be Stunned for 1.5 seconds. This can only occur every 60 seconds.
    Looking at the Milestones for the Tech which is going to be the tank spec it is going to be all about shields (1 and 3) and annoying people or mobs (2 and 4). If person wants to be a dodge spec Stalker that will be more geared towards PvP DPS

The Warrior tank will have Shields + Armor advantage
    The Stalker tank will have Shields + Stun advantage
  13. Mierelle

In a PvE environment, it's rare that you will be able to stun the bosses. So while warriors uses Shields + Armor to mitigate damage, stalkers a likely to use Shields + Dodge.
  14. Isgu

Isgu Cupcake-About-Town

Yea, gotta agree with that one. It's highly unlikely (but would be innovative) that bosses can be stunned, thus it's not really viable to have Stalkers rely on stuns, that would effectively disable them from being able to MT. That's not something I think they want to do in a game that has the potential to be the next big MMO.
  15. Red_Death01

Bosses can be stunned by the have a system similar to GW2 where each stun or interrupt only knocks off a shield that prevents it- when that shield is finally beaten through it stuns them like normal and the shield is put back up.
  16. Isgu

Isgu Cupcake-About-Town

Ok, I was not aware of that, thanks for the info!
    I still don't feel overly comfortable with a tank relying on something like that as a mean to stay alive... guess we'll see though :)
  17. 5TiCK

5TiCK New Cupcake

Typically in an MMO do I ever play the rogue type class. Rarely do I play the role of a tank, either. But something about the Stalker being viable as a Tank intrigues me and has me seriously considering breaking out of my shell. I want to try something different and fresh to me in an MMO that is different and fresh itself. Regardless, I'm sure I'll have a great time.
  18. Aari

Aari Cupcake-About-Town

Coming from Tera were I played Warrior as a Evasion Tank and almost never had problems keeping a boss static on one place I have to say that Evasion tanks are just as a valid as the standart plate, shield guys. (Sadly they gave Warriors a Block later on :( )
    While I don't know how exactly the combat works in W*, we do know that its action based and has the telegraphs (Now its to be seen if that is for all attacks or if there are attacks that are simply a 100% hit on you wich you cant site/backstep like in Tera).
    But it seems like Stalkers are definitly designed to be able to take some hits with their Shields.

And about stunning bosses, I think it can definitly be designed that bosses can be stunned with good teamwork and cooperation. For example Blade and Soul had a system where bosses were could be stunned/tripped during key animation but you still had to use 2 Stuns within one second to actually apply the stun.
  19. Red_Death01

The tanking in Wildstar will likely involve mobility and soaking mostly. Where you need to dodge telegraphs like normal and adjust the bosses position but, you're responsible for taking all of the hits (assuming a boss hits as hard as a boss in WoW) so that your team can deal the damage. Mainly think WoW tanking just with a bit more mobility is what I'm guessing.
  20. Mierelle

Judging from the gameplay videos, not every attack will be telegraphed, so there will still be "normal attacks" that needs to be mitigated through other means than dodging (which I'm as a raid healer is happy about).

In the Frost interview, he stated that bosses will have CC-armor that requiers 4 interupts on the same time to take effect, for a stun-tank to get viable mitigation they would need to override this which could be a pain to balance for PvP.

Not saying that a stun-tank can not happen, but I still think evasion tanks are more likely. And for them getting stun abilities as well doesn't mean they can't be based on evasion. Say for example that a warrior have 1000 armor and a chanse to get 100% armor increase for 5 sec, if you convert that to an evasion tank that have 60% dodge and gets 100% dodge increase (they will only get 2/3 of a buff).