1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

(We instance our starting zones....)

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Arz, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Arz

Arz New Cupcake

For some reason, one instance of the Crimson Isle had as many as 400 players placed on it. This is bad, because that instance is meant to cap at 20 players (We instance our starting zones for a better new player experience). But it’s good, because we've already fixed that bug.

~WildStar Wednesday: Stress Test Postmortem

Im probably drawing a conclusion too soon but id like to still bring this up.

I know this is kinda old news, i would like to express my slight discomfort. It kind of has me a little worried when they use "instance ". I might be over thinking it too much, but Ive been trying to find more information about the world layout unfortunately there isnt enough out there for an answer. Basically what im trying to say is that when an MMO instance their map it kinda kill the whole open world feel. So when i read the post (i know its a little old) it made me a little uneasy.

I have no problem with them using instances for beginning zones like lvl 1-3 or 4..Similar to what Rift has done.

I know that W* has instanced beginning zones ,Housing and the dungeon/raid like all MMOS. Those things dont worry me...but instancing the world map does.

I think that's a great a ideas and it does improve the beginning player experience. But since starting to play Never winter Casually and doing the whole instance thing..it killed the whole mmo experience for me. I guess i just want the game to be truly open world...if anyone has any info to put my mind at easy would be great.
  2. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

Crimson Isle is the tutorial zone though, so don't fret because the rest of the world isn't. At least as far as I know.
  3. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I don't mind the starter zone being instanced, I just think 20 players is kinda slim.
    Sonntam likes this.
  4. crowsong

crowsong Cupcake-About-Town

I think it is a good number as the zones are not big.
  5. Daynejah

Daynejah Cupcake

Azalus likes this.
  6. pseudo

pseudo Podcaster

It seems like it make sense... Means that there won't be any competition re: mob tagging. We've heard from the devs that the rest of the zones are not instanced.
  7. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

They've said numerous times the zones 1-3 and 3-6 will be instanced to keep from over-crowding on launch. By the time people get through levels 1-6 they'll be more spread out while getting into the 6+ zones. The rest of the world they've stated is open (save for loading zones crossing continents and going to the moon/asteroid zones).
  8. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

Instances should never be so low pop that they feel empty (unless only that many players are playing), but neither should they be so full as to feel cramped. The recent Defiance beta was a good example of how this can go wrong. Everyone loaded it up at once, and the very starting area was so full of players it looked like a rock concert. To their credit it wasn't game killing, but it was immersion killing and pretty lame in general. Keeping small zones down to a reasonable population, especially starter ones where EVERYONE will be for the first day after launch, is a very good idea.
  9. Bluesteel

Bluesteel Cupcake

I think just the starter zone is a good idea. As long as the rest isnt.
  10. Nunchi

Nunchi Cupcake

edit: can't say that either...... filler...... this is hard. It's a tutorial zone, imagine 400 players trying at for example, the WoW orc starting zone.. trying to kill mottled boars
  11. Pixie

Pixie Cupcake-About-Town

I think that if they sharded all the world maps they wouldn't use the phrase "we instance starting zones" because that phrase insinuates this is unique to starting zones.
    Alverad likes this.
  12. Gomer

Gomer Cupcake

They have come out in multiple statements that they are only instancing the starting zones to allow for better gameplay when the game launches. All other zones will be part of the persistent world, so don't worry. From what I gather they are pretty keen on keeping instancing and phasing to a minimum because they do not feel it is 'cool' or 'fun'.
    Sonntam likes this.
  13. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

As far as we never want to go back to CI there is no problem. So that area should not have any mining nodes or anything like that.
    Sonntam likes this.
  14. Psistorm

Psistorm Cupcake-About-Town

It makes sense in a way. the Introductory zones will likely be smaller than the other open-world ones, so on launch, people will cram into those. Instancing will likely be the one method that keeps them playable during launch.

I mean, would you like to compete with 400 players for say, two dozen mob spawns for a quest? You might be stuck there for hours waiting for a spawn to not be instantly slaughtered so that you can get credit. So I definitely appreciate them giving us instances in those zones that will see a huge influx of players to make for a smooth experience at launch. Once the players hit the later zones, they will have spread about more, and instancing likely won't be needed anymore.
    Myrrdhinn likes this.
  15. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

If you read the two articles posted earlier it says that once you leave crimson isle you can't go back

Not that it matters
    Sonntam and Gronky like this.
  16. Nicodemus

Nicodemus Well-Known Cupcake

they have stated in one of the videos that there is no loading screens in the "main" world. that's great, always was a bummer in Swtor when you moved anywhere and there was a loading screen. After crimson isle no instancing, great! I agree 20 toons seems really low.
  17. Gronky

I predict that first day everybody will be playing on CI and not moving to the later zones as servers will be telling that the big world is not ready for you yet as servers will be crashing from the overpopulation and some CIes will end up like city of Atlantis, too :)
  18. MouseMalicious

MouseMalicious New Cupcake

I think it's great they instance the starting zone. anyone remember vanilla wow start or whenever they used to ooen a new server and it was 50+ people waiting for the 6 wolfs in an area to spawn so they c9uld all fight over who got to it first.
  19. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

They run the stress tests to ensure this won't happen. :)
  20. Gronky

Yeah, lol, like that ever stopped servers from crashing hard. I can almost hear it now, all the Carbine's crying and apologizing on a launch day :p