1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Weapons !!!!

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Flawz, Apr 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azexton Hunter

Azexton Hunter New Cupcake

Throwing Glaive
    Kataryna likes this.
  2. Celtkhan

Celtkhan Well-Known Cupcake

Technically, it's a Psyblade.
  3. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

Which they can project with their mind :p
  4. Laban

Laban Cupcake-About-Town

I don't mind being limited to just one type of weapon, but I do hope there's enough diversity in the look and style of the weapons. In SWTOR you never got really excited about a new weapon since they all basically looked the same, it was just "Yay...better stats". Looking badass is a big part in MMORPG's imo, so you really want both stats AND looks. "Wow! This sword looks AMAZING, and I hit so hard now!" is what I want to feel when I manage to find an upgrade for my weapon.
  5. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

Ya man I have noticed in many video's there are tons of variations of each classes weapons. and they all look ever so sweet!!!!!! not. green lightsaber red lightsaber, new red lightsaber. OMG OMG OMG EPIC GREEN LIGHTSABER!!! EVERYONE come look at my awsomeness, Im standing by mailbox come check me out!! 30 people standing around him with green lightsabers.... Awkward

I seriously doubt this game has limited weapon skins for each class. They seem to be working really hard for player costomizing themselves.
    Laban likes this.
  6. Laban

Laban Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah, from what I've seen in the videos there seem to be a lot of diversity in size, style and color. I don't think Carbine will disappoint us in the weapons department. :)
    Flawz likes this.
  7. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

I'm kind of curious though.....

The weapons will have a slightly different look as you progress through levels. What if some weapons look completely different? For example, a warrior's sword at level 10 is a sword with a red blade. Then a warrior's sword at level 20 is a giant axe that spills green flames? Same thing with spellslinger's pistols. At level 10 they may just look like pistols, but at level twenty two your spellslinger looks like they are running around with two shotguns?
  8. Dtrain

Dtrain Cupcake

GUNS! And if one ain't enough, get mOAR! :laugh:
  9. Laban

Laban Cupcake-About-Town

I don't think it will be that extreme, because Warriors will specifically just use tech swords, and an axe is not a sword. It will probably be more like this for example, where they're all quite different, but still swords. Add to that different colors and effects (like green flames that you mention for example). I guess the same could be said about Gunslingers dual pistols, while they'll all still function as pistols, some might resemble SMG's, or sawed off shotguns, have longer barrels, drum magazines, etc etc.
  10. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

I guess that makes more sense. Kind of like a stalkers claw can be two or three blades and another one at higher level will just be a single blade, but it glows pink. They wouldn't give them the appearance of daggers.
  11. Dragon[SVG]

Dragon[SVG] Cupcake-About-Town

So apparently I am late finding out about this but I don't know how I feel about it. I mean it is interesting to have each class being focused on one weapon type but that, to me, decreases the amount of variety in gameplay and combat.
  12. SteveDiggler24

SteveDiggler24 Cupcake-About-Town

Weapon graphic styles are my favorite & most important cosmetic upgrade to pursue with MMORPGs. Although I have preferred multiple weapon type classes in my history, 1 weapon type classes have grown on me as I have followed Wildstar.

Carbine's commitment to player housing and the cosmetic customization available to earn, purchase, and discover indicates a core value of the development team to offer player individuality throughout the game.

With 2+ weapon types available, a player can customize their characters through different weapon types. With only 1 weapon type available, the only option for player customization is with cosmetic upgrades. The only way to offer the level customization delivered in housing would be to provide a great variety of weapon skins for each type.

So how many skins do you think that should be?

For me,

50 Levels
    3-5 skins per level?
    In simpler terms, 150-250 skins by level 50?
    If this number seems high, think about it this way.

Mage - World of Warcraft - Vanilla ONLY!!!
    Staff, Dagger, Sword, Offhand (exluding wand/secondary)

I think there were more than 250 options available between the 4 weapons as far as graphics. Considering the different combinations of 1hand/offhand, there were a LOT more options available. Now, shouldn't a single weapon type class strive to come close to that? Without variety, classes in the same level range may commonly be seen with the same weapon. The variety available should also include unique, detailed, & desired graphics, you know, the kind that you find within unique, challenging, 1% raid content.

I'm not saying that every single gear slot should have 250 skins, but a 1 weapon type game can atone for loss of player customization in choices between weapon types.

And on top of that, depending on the wardrobe system, many if not all of the weapon styles acquired throughout a character's journey could be available instantly for the vast customization capability of mixing and matching a journey's worth of graphic styles.

... then again, maybe a wardrobe system that would store the many different weapon styles acquired throughout the game could allow for less weapon skins available. In Vanilla WoW, if every single weapon style & gear graphic had the possibility of being saved and used to customize current look at any given time, I think you may have seen a lot less Whirlwind Axes. When the option to customize a character's appearance is available without sacrificing a character's performance (IE using a different, lesser axe), the potential for individuality is drastically improved.

We'll see. With this in mind, I can't stop thinking about 150-250 different styles of tech swords. I may roll a warrior..
  13. Jersaun Korris

Jersaun Korris Cupcake-About-Town

I do hope they give variety to the different classes. I mean I could see a warrior wielding another great weapon like an axe, or hammer. Same thing goes for all the other classes and their respected weapon types.
  14. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

As I watch more video's being shown I know the weapons will look different and unique. Mentioned in some new video's If you kill mobs and those mobs drop weapons, They want you to remember where you got the weapon so It seems that weapons will resemble the mobs who drop them in some way shape or form from what I gather that means.

If this is true then I think Carbine has hit a jackpot, to attack a boss or random elite type/named monster or alien humanoid who has bone weapons with straps and blood would be awesome to loot a weapon that matches that apparel. instead of looting a weapon that has the complete opposite appearance of what that mob would have.

Meaning, a collection of weapons from my elite kills hanging on my house wall??? YES PLEASE!!!!!!!! Trophies of my rare and elite kills??? HELL YEAH!!!!!!!
  15. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

Vanilla WoW had no costume function so everyone did look different unless they all farmed the same spot but if they did your right. In the beginning of games like this one. The options will be less than when it gains some age to it. WildStar is a fresh new game and im sure they accounted for the weapons being that their Main goal for us is to customize how we want and to be happy with it. I doubt they did not see the "we all have the same looking weapon" thing. I'm sure they have plenty of designed weapons for each weapon type. They have been working on the game for quite a while now :) and as you said. I cant wait to see them all as well :p and with the costume slot which i LOVE those. I can have my favorite weapon skin all the time :) woot!
  16. B00TE

B00TE Cupcake-About-Town

I hope there's a cosmetic feature in, would be nice to have a sword that looks good with my Granok and keeping it on him for however long till something else comes along. He needs the biggest sword ever.
  17. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

In some video's they mentioned players might have options to customize most gear. Maybe that means weapons too? at least hope we can change some colors on weapons :) that would be sooooo awsome to match up your favorite weapon skin in any color to match your gear :p ohhhh i hope so!
    Sarah Orlando likes this.
  18. Tiberius

Tiberius Cupcake-About-Town

In all MMOs I play it's very common for me to continue using weaker gear/weapons strictly because the I like the appearance a lot /upgrade looks stupid.

While I like having options to choose from, the class specific weapon approach will be a godsend for handing out loot.

In vanilla WoW, having a weapon theoretically usable by all classes could make it a pain. It even had a worse issue with paladin gear. Holy pali's were the only class able to use plate mail with intellect, but the raiders preferred using cloth because of slightly higher int stats. Being able to trade that high armor rating for better heals was really cool, and so was seeing a melee/caster/healer hybrid, but what it meant was wasted int plate drops and excessive competition for robes.
    Sarah Orlando likes this.
  19. Belyal

Belyal New Cupcake

Just wanted to say O-H! =)
    Azzurri likes this.
  20. Sneakybuffalo

Sneakybuffalo Cupcake-About-Town

Remember there is no Auto-attack, so unlike WoW, attack speed versus damage won't be a differentiator of weapons. The only difference would be aesthetics unless WS tied specific abilities to specific weapons, which I'd hate.

The Limited Action Set combined with the Skill Pool and the various amounts of stat balancing, and Milestones will provide for plenty of variety in gameplay and combat. More than different weapon types ever did in other games IMO, except GW2.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.