1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Weapons

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Dongabhana, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Dongabhana

Dongabhana New Cupcake

hey all
    So, has there been anything about weapons? It seems to me, that each of the revealed classes are, more or less, restricted to certain weapons: Warrior = swords and/or axes and that's it, and so on with the other classes? Right now, that is :)
    I really hope that the varity will be large and you can choose what to use yourself.
    Im playing another game right now as warm up for WS,and it kills me that im restricted to only use 2 types of weapons.

Sharing is caring (if you know anything!)

Don G.
  2. Sonntam

Sonntam Cupcake-About-Town

All classes use only one weapon type, so, tough luck.
    Livnthedream likes this.
  3. Tonks

Tonks Cupcake

Each class can only use a single weapon for two big reasons:

1) Easily identifiable classes for pvp
    2) Increased quality of animations since they are focused on a specific weapon type and do not have to animate 50 different weapon types for the warrior alone.
  4. Zellfel

Zellfel Cupcake-About-Town

The devs said using alternative weapon types (like great axes alongside greatswords for warriors) may be something that happens in the future but is not in the cards for launch.
  5. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

GL with the 1 weapon in WS then :p

But seriously...it doesn't add as much as people think it does (my opinion).
    dizko likes this.
  6. Tex Arcana

Tex Arcana Cupcake-About-Town

[​IMG]

That's just six examples of the "Sword" style. These don't include the low-to-mid level ones that Ive seen elsewhere.

There are just as many versions of Pistols. Just as many versions of Psyblades and I'm sure there will be as many Rifles and so on ...

So while it might all be a "Sword," you can hardly say that there is not any variation.
  7. Zellfel

People like the availability of choice when designing their characters. RPers are especially guilty of this because choice of weapon tends to reflect the personality of the owner. For example, can you imagine Grom Hellscream with a Samurai Katana instead of Gorehowl? It would be hilarious to see because it just doesn't fit him.

I personally think whether I'm using a mace or a sword it doesn't matter as long as I hit equally as hard. But for character design choices, I can understand where these people are coming from.
  8. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Sadly, this. Dumbest "feature" of the game, but we got to live with it.
    Oconnell likes this.
  9. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Let's give him some numbers now shall we?

Each weapon style has 60 unique designs, so in the totallity of WS you will be able to see 360 different weapon models with their own set of unique animations!
    Tribe and Livnthedream like this.
  10. Arsonist

Arsonist Cupcake

the single weapon is rather stupid. I hope they change this.
  11. Zellfel

You missed my point little chua. I know NPCs will have their weapons, it's part of their identity. Players have weapon preferences too, they like to incorporate these choices into their own identity. I know about orc weapon masters and how similar they are to grom. They aren't grom. Grom has an identity, players want choice because they want their characters to reflect an identity. So no, not worst choice ever.
  12. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

8-Ball says: Outlook is bleak.
    JoeDragon, RavenWind and Witless like this.
  13. Dongabhana

Dongabhana New Cupcake

"Each weapon style has 60 unique designs, so in the totallity of WS you will be able to see 360 different weapon models with their own set of unique animations!"

But they''ll all still be categorized as the same sub groups: Swords, axes, pistols etc... Unique animation for each and every one, is pretty solid, but not what I were hoping for.
    I wanted the option/freedom to roll a chihuahaha with a shield and a pistol, or a warrior with a gun and an axe.

But im not going to have that option: and it's ok.

This game is still gonna rock and you're all going to kneel before my mighty skills of awesomeness!
  14. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

Besides the fact that this is a super old topic, this is a bit of a non starter. You end up getting "stuck" with a single type of weapon so often strictly due to gameplay that this does not really matter, especially when you consider the number of issues it solves, like looting.
    dizko likes this.
  15. Sylph

Sylph Cupcake

Also, by having one weapon per class it allows the Devs to tailor animations to that weapon for the class as many others have stated.
    How well would the Stalker stabby/slashy animations work if they could also wield iron knuckles? It wouldn't look good... at all.
    Or if an Esper could use a staff. The abilities where they make a projection of the weapon and hurl it at the enemy wouldn't look near as potent. "Aha! I threw a stick at you! Take that!"
    Kataryna likes this.
  16. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Yes it is Grom and Grom has an identity....but if you think it's because of the axe then you are griefly mistaken my dear boy! Ever played WC2? Grom still had an identity without the special looks! He looked just like any other orc. You know what made his identity? THE FREAKING LORE!!!!

FFUUUU those people who say that weapons make their identity.....it's da lore behind it!!! Even without their freaking looks they had an identity. See? I say it again:
    And you just confirm this. Bah...thinking Grom = Grom because of his weapon...:roflamo:

WS doesn't allow axes so, if they make sure NPC's (the races which we can play) have exactly the same weapons, that solves a part of it.
    WS's identities just don't allow Axes in that case. ''But people want to do it''......so??? People want more in the game aswell, doesn't mean it is the best choice.
    This would just be an issue aswell.

The only + point it can have is for hardcore RP'ers....although....make that casuals....I think hardcore RP'ers would take the lore into consideration. If WS's lore doesn't has axes in them....then I (yes, as an RP'er) am content with it. Since I RP with the lore in my mind. FFUUU those filthy RP'ers that make their ''own'' stories without taking the lore into consideration ;)

PS: You need to learn how to quote correctly....kinda strange part to quote.....(and yes you can quote a changed quote).
  17. Zellfel

Haha, from reading all that we actually kind of agree. Lore is the biggest thing that defines a character's identity even though some characters have their lore specifically tied in with a weapon (King Arthur + Excalibur for example, unless you count that movie with Clive Owen and Keira Knightley). I've never been an RPer and I'm shallow enough to pick whichever weapon looks the coolest (FU Ashkandi for never dropping for me in 6 years). lol, you just reminded me of Grom's voice from Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness. Complete 180 when going to WC3 and beyond :D

I know a lot of RPers that like to factor their weapon of choice as part of their personality and I was just presenting it from their point of view. Also, Livn brings up a good point. We always end up using just one weapon due to gameplay because of Best in Slot lists (which are going to exist in this game too) so like Linkin Park says, in the end it doesn't even matter. YOU WILL USE YOUR ONE WEAPON TYPE AND YOU WILL LIKE IT.
    Dongabhana and Sonntam like this.
  18. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

Please use WSC's search before creating a thread. This topic has been discussed numerous times before. Here are some tips on using WSC's search box. Check the box "Search titles only". Search for a few different synonyms/wordings for the topic you are looking for.

In this case searching for "one weapon" would return multiple threads while searching for "single weapon" would return none.

To break that down... 6 classes x 60 weapon models each = 360.
    Add recolors/dyes on top of that figure and players will have a dizzying number of choices*.

*Imagine that scene with every color of the rainbow (turn your speakers down).
    Extatica likes this.
  19. Dongabhana

Dongabhana New Cupcake

But they''ll all still be categorized as the same sub groups: Swords, axes, pistols etc... Unique animation for each and every one, is pretty solid, but not what I were hoping for.
    I wanted the option/freedom to roll a chihuahaha with a shield and a pistol, or a warrior with a gun and an axe.
    I've said my part laddie, and I am so sorry for not searching before I made this thread. I hope you can forgive me
  20. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

As I explained above its not really a real choice, atleast not for the vast majority of people. If given a choice between a weapon that looks good and one that gives them an advantage, they will take the advantage, that is how people work. At best this is an irrational complaint.
    Blue Tunic Man likes this.