1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Were you able to reserve your desired names?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Gronky, May 14, 2014.

1. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

I think I was lucky and was able to reserve both names. I took:

Guild: Les Soldats
    Character: Arutena

I wonder if some of you will recognise these two names :)
  2. ImpactHound

ImpactHound Cupcake-About-Town

I was going to, but I just keep having ideas and changing my mind, so I'll just assume I'll have a brainstorm on launch day. KonkeyDong?
  3. GoatSlayrr

GoatSlayrr Well-Known Cupcake

I do.

Which makes me wonder if you'll actually get to keep them, since they violate the Wildstar naming policy.

As for my most used character name, didn't try and reserve it. If the other guy who used it WoW wants it bad enough to reserve it, he can have it. It doesn't really fit a Chua anyway.
  4. Quietus

Quietus Cupcake

It took several hours before the page worked properly for me. I had a list of potential names and by the time I was able to reserve one, most of them had been taken already.
  5. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

Hm...things went okay.
    Last edited: May 14, 2014
  6. Lsya

Lsya Cupcake-About-Town

My first choice was taken. I was surprised, since it's uncommon...not rare, but uncommon. That's ok though. I have a handful of names I use. I'm good now.
  7. Laban

Laban Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah, was able to reserve the character and guild name I wanted, even though I was about 9h late thanks to having to work late.
  8. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

I got I Am Murloc which makes me happy for my ah alt. :)

Other than that, I have never had an issue with my names.
    Gronky likes this.
  9. PalsyPlague

PalsyPlague Cupcake

I got my name, no problems. I'm planning on playing an Esper so I just had to make a FFVI reference.

Name: Maduin (The guardian of the gate to the Esper's world in FFVI)

I feel like people are avoiding posting their names still. Are people still afraid of getting their names poached?
    Inukeu and Gronky like this.
  10. Gronky

It should not be a problem. Guild name means just "The Soldiers" in English (Les Soldats is French). The character name Arutena is just a name. I don't see a problem unless they want everybody to have name like XXYYZZ123.
  11. Gronky

Great name. I wonder if Cupcake was already taken ;)
  12. GoatSlayrr

From the WildStar naming page FAQ, "Names must only contain letters of the Latin alphabet and cannot contain numbers or special characters (except French and German accented characters). Nor will we permit names that: [...] Reference names of copyrighted or trademarked characters, materials, or products"

And in the EULA, (which I can't copy/paste from) it states that that violation with get you a temp ban.

So you might want to plan on a little unscheduled vacation from Nexus at some point, because I know I'm not the only naming hall monitor type who's seen Noir.
  13. Gronky

So which of these could I possibly violate? If you mean "names of copyrighted or trademarked characters" then non of my names are copyrighted. Also if I've used Noir it might be a problem. But Les Soldats is French for The Soldiers. No problem here and it is not copyrighted name as it is not even the name of anime :) And character name is just a woman name. I don't expect any problems whatsoever.
  14. GoatSlayrr

Dude? Seriously? You ended your first post with "I wonder if some of you will recognise these two names" AKA, "hey look! I took these names from somewhere in popular culture!"

You're character name is that of a character in a work protected by copyright law. Your guild name is that of an organization in the same copyright protected work your character name is from. If it was just one, or the other, you might be able to get away with it, but you are clearly referencing names from works protected by international copyright law. Which means you are violating the naming rules and will be violating the EULA. Rationalize it however you want, but when you get reported, you'll lose both of those names and probably be slapped with a temp ban.
  15. Dirty Outlaw

Dirty Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

I didn't get the name I wanted to reserve but I got plenty of names I use, some are even original.

As fer guild names I got a name but I don't plan on making a guild so most likely make it a bank guild till I have more uses for it.

I also doubt gronky will get any trouble for his names maybe if it was something more known like legolas or gandalf and the guild is like Cobra or Shield something like that.
    Gronky likes this.
  16. Gronky

I agree.
    Noir is invented name and can be copyrighted. But The Soldiers. They could as well ban all the words in the dictionary if they had problem with it. And connection between Guild name and character is 100% coincidental ;) I don't expect any troubles whatsoever. But there is no point speculating. If I'm able to keep that name I will come back and let you know on the forums. And if I keep it then hopefully my guild will be well populated with anime fans. Btw, the best two players in the guild will be codenamed you know how :D
  17. Benevon

Benevon Cupcake-About-Town

Copyrighted names is a bit more complicated than that. If it weren't, nobody ever could use the name Luke in anything but the Star Wars franchise. Marvel cannot copyright the name Thor (just the likeness of their particular version) or anything else pertaining to mythology.

I know nothing about the character you guys are talking about, but Les Soldats most likely is not copyrighted. It's far too vague.

But back OT, I had no problems with my name. Benevon is never taken :D
  18. Lsya

Lsya Cupcake-About-Town

Just FYI,

People may want to double check the registration page again. I logged into it this morning to see if it showed a status. It showed my character name, but the guild name was blank. So, I saved the guild name again. This time it looks like it saved it.

It's still a little buggy.
  19. Dirty Outlaw

Dirty Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

1) Go to http://www.wildstar-online.com/ and make sure you are logged in.

2) Click this link: http://rest.wildstar...e.com/api/gnpnr

3) Refresh until it shows you your character name and guild name!

Edit: It should look like this:

{"character":"YOUR CHARACTER NAME HERE","guild":"YOUR GUILD NAME HERE","tte":{"character":RANDOM NUMBERS,"guild":RANDOM NUMBERS}}

If it says false or null, your name was not saved!

props to the official forums on this
    Gronky likes this.
  20. Gronky

Don't scare me! It's still there :)

Thanks, this confirms my names were saved :)