1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What about dungeon finder?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by JarNod, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

A Dungeon Finder should be a tool to find and compare players for the dungeon I want to do. Nothing more. Spamming LFG in public channels is not fun. The DF eliminates that.

I don't want it to hook me up with people on other servers/realms. The anonymity gives players the power to be rude, leave groups, fake disconnects etc. with no social punishment. If a player behaves badly you can socially correct them in your own social circle. For example: Tell your guild mates to not group up with player X because he is rude. To counter the problem on finding a group on low population servers is to make it a single server only game (like EVE) only split by game rules (PvP, PvE, RP or any combination). The technology is there. The reason they split up servers anyway was to control the strain on the servers more easily. That isn't needed anymore.

Instant porting to a dungeon makes the world feel small. But traveling to a dungeon entrance after you did that one 30 times already is not fun either. So I think you should earn instant porting if you are a veteran player. Make instant porting a reward for doing it a number of times for example. And make this work with the DF as well, so that players with the port shouldn't have to wait for players who haven't got it yet.
    starspun likes this.
  2. Chrilin

Chrilin Cupcake-About-Town

^This^
  3. Billco

Billco Cupcake-About-Town

I played Tera for the 10 day free trial or whatever. Didn't see much of anything to be honest. My friends still playing it but I just couldn't get into it. Although I really liked the combat mechanics, made a nice change from 1,1,1,2,1,1,3

Agreed with pretty much everything said above ^^ but my only issue is with the porting thing. Not the idea but the implementation. Waiting for a group in the DF to pop and then playing the roulette as to will I have to run there or will I get ported, so do I go off and do stuff while queuing or start heading there.

Also the chances of lazymodes dropping and re-queueing over and over until they get a port group is high.
  4. Chrilin

Good point.... Still the idea is cool. I hope they find a way to make something like that work.
  5. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

The DF and porting shouldn't be in the same system. The DF should only find you groups that matches your search.

The porting could be a reward that you get from an achievement or an item that dropped in the dungeon or whatever we or Carbine can come up with. The porting doesn't have to be straight into the instance either. Maybe an instant port to the nearest town with a small fee to pay. This way a bit of traveling remains from the town to the entrance. I can think of an gazillion variations for this porting idea.

Carbine seems creative enough, hope they find a good solution for this.
  6. Billco

Screw it bring back the wizzie spires and druid rings. Let me stand around shouting LF PORT TO KARANA will pay!!! for ages ;)

WTB SoW?
    WTB Clarity?

Thats social for ya ;)
  7. Sprby

Sprby Cupcake

We all probably would say that chances of Wildstar starting with a cross server dungeon finder will not happen, so there will prolly not be instant porting.
  8. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Something like not being able to queue for it on Dungeon Finder, until it is fully cleared and completed at least once. But having to spend time getting there the 25th time is just a unneeded timezink, especially for those, who do not have overly much time already.
    Immersion already broke on having to kill the same content 24 times before :p

Same about LR type features, should have to complete something besides ilvl before being able to queue. Maybe all max level/same content pack dungeons, or a quest line that get the character around the entrance at some point or a combo of both. It is progression.

Initial gating without making it a timezink later on.

Well, whatever, this post actually fits WoW more, since I have no idea if WildStar even gets anything to help those not in an organised or big or active raid guild have a decent access to still do some of the "bigger" content. I just have a few issues with Blizzard on not having to do something before getting easy access through Dungeon Finder and LF.

Keying, attuning and flagging is unfortunately a dead concept :p
  9. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Dungeon Finders seem to be mandatory nowadays. So shipping without one seems futile. It will be a missing feature. So, I think we should assume they will have one instead.

I feel you. I loved those things.
  10. Scooter

Scooter Carbine Studios

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the original version of WoW's Dungeon Finder require you to discover dungeon entrances before you could queue? It was fairly quickly removed after launch, I seem to recall, though. Thoughts as to why?
  11. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

As to why it was removed or as to why it was there? As to why it was there, I would have to say because you shouldn't be able to go to places you have no idea exist unless you are ported by a mage. On why they removed it, because of the board whining? Not sure really.
  12. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

It shipped with the requirement, I remember having to find the one in the water zone on a toon I had mostly leveled through Mount Hyjal, so I hit 83 midway through the waterzone and left for the lvl 83 zone, thus missing the dungeon. I also had to find the lvl 84 dungeon on another toon, that I mostly levelled with gathering (repeating quests for the 5th time in a short period got old ;-) )

I will have to assume that people felt too challenged to spend 10 minutes on getting there to unlock the dungeon, so Blizzard took it out :p Not sure though.
  13. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Actually it happened before the release of the expansion as well. In the content patch before that suddenly you had to rediscover all entrances from WotLK as well! :D But that was a bug and the removed it a few days afterwards. I spend an hour or so flying from entrance to entrance hehe.
  14. Billco

Yeah, as I recall the argument was made that it was pointless. People that finished the areas but didn't get close enough to the entrances to unlock the area didn't feel they should have to go back to do it.

Lazy really.
  15. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

I'm curious if such a feature will make it into WS and how it will work in this respect, since some of the examples already given are that Explorers can discover/unlock new dungeons. If everyone could queue for everything then it takes a little shine off of that Path.
  16. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

I bet in Wildstar sometimes the dungeon entrance will discover you! You know falling into a hole and a dungeon opens up. That you could see in the cinematic trailer: "No one touches anything!" As well mentioned in the interview with Jeremy Gaffney.
  17. Sprby

Sprby Cupcake

How much do you want to bet that it doesn't.
  18. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

Devs have already stated that some public events will be dynamic and spawn onto a player. I can see the same happening for dungeon entrances too (though you're probably right that you wouldn't be dropped into a dungeon without a way back out like the trailer! :) )
  19. Sprby

Sprby Cupcake

It is a possibility I was actually willing to bet on.
  20. Chrilin

Not only that, but you had to get keyed for instances as well. Some were rep others were quest lines.

The idea was to make sure people had put in the time in other instances as to be geared enough to go.
    This of course was before they implemented gear checks which replaced keying.