1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What are the add-ons you just can't live without?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Dragnog, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Dragnog

Dragnog Cupcake-About-Town

Are there any mods that you are currently using in your MMO of choice that you just could not live without or just make things so much easier? Do you think your "must-haves" will change with Wildstar?

I will say that I have never been a really big addon user but there are always a couple that were really handy:

- Single click healing bars (e.g. Healbot): When you were healing especially in large groups these types of add-ons were really useful. I am not sure how useful though they will be in Wildstar with skill shot healing. I do think that counting the number of healing packages on the ground, even more obvious communication of healing telegraphs to be common though.

- Sell junk/management (e.g. Selljunk): If this is not built into the interface I think this will be one of the first add-ons you will see.

- Node location mapping (e.g. Gatherer): This was really useful to build up a "map" of where to find particular types of materials in zones. Without knowing more about how nodes will work in Wildstar I think it is pretty hard to say how useful this will be.

- Taunt management (e.g. TauntMaster): I found this really useful when tanking for those errant mobs that someone had opened up on before me. I assume that it will still have use.

- Additional boss fight queues (e.g. Deadly Boss Mods): This was great to let you know more about what was going on in a fight. I would assume that this will still have use, if the talented modding community can figure out a way to make it work, However much warning a developer puts in a game there are still those who are going to need to be yelled at by their screen "You are standing in the fire!!!"

Like I said I am not a big mod user and I am sure that other people have many others like auctioneer or recount. So what are your mods of choice? Do you have others that you think will be more necessary for Wildstar?
    BlueDragon18 likes this.
  2. Elward

Elward Cupcake

The only mod I really couldn't live without was Atlas Loot in WoW. I was always trying to find nice 'town' clothes to relax in. Oh and maybe a mod that lets me write notes on my map if it's not already in game.
    CaptainYoul likes this.
  3. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

I don't think there is any that I couldn't live without, but I guess I would need Recount in order to judge my own performance vs. others so I can improve.
  4. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I can't live with the ''snacks to the side'' mod. It makes sure snacks are always present when gaming (not too many ofc i still want to game healthy :p) And every single grocery store got this mod! Isn't that easy?

No but in all seriousness, I (personally) can live without ANY mod :D

But it's always nice to have 1 person in the raid to have ''deadly boss mod'', but (as stated in another thread also) i can live without it.
    Kataryna likes this.
  5. FullMetalPizza

FullMetalPizza New Cupcake

Recount, Interface addon to have a better/prettier UI, Atlasloot to know where I can find specific loot and what do they look like.

I HATE every addons like deadly boss mod and other "hey move there is fire under your feet" who make every raid boss look like "Follow the instructions and win".
  6. Dragnog

This would be how you manage your Eldan Taco Points?
    Extatica likes this.
  7. Calsic

Calsic Cupcake-About-Town

Not so much an addon, but I really, really like to be able to change game fonts, whether it be through an addon or dropping a custom folder in the game files. I prefer clean fonts like Expressway Free. I play at high resolution and most game fonts are too stylized to be clear.

Snowfall Cursor ( http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info15693-SnowfallCursor.html ) was one that I loved. It makes a soft glow around the cursor. Helps a lot in busy fights. My cursor constantly goes awol in GW2. Frustrating. Might not be an issue in WS though.

One addon that I liked in WoW, that no one seems to know about is Missing Friends. I hated logging in to see the "Friend removed because it no longer exists" msg. This addon tells you who it was.

Then there are all the art ones that let you replace the icon art, borders around the UI elements, add a viewport, etc. I love being able to make a clean, minimalist UI.

Plus all the normal ones of course, like:
    - castbar addons
    - nameplate and raid frame addons to move, resize, recolour, show buffs/debuffs
    - tooltip enhancers
    - chat addons to see alt names, colour names by class, alert for tells, etc

Yes, I do like to tweak my UI a bit. :p
  8. plic70

plic70 Cupcake-About-Town

If I can't customize the UI as is, then it would be a UI mod(Xperl/Elvui) , Recount, and. Omen if I decide to tank. Other than that, I don't need much.
  9. Dragnog

I had forgotten about a threat meter (Omen). I think we could a resurgence of threat meters, just because of the style of fights. Tanks may not necessarily be able to keep up a constant flow of threat so others will need to watch out or face the consequences!
  10. Malisent

Malisent Cupcake-About-Town

I always try to make sure that if every add-on is broken after a patch, I can still raid. But, bag organization, EPGP and something like Grid would be my top 3. And not an add-on but for WoW raiding, World of Logs is (or was, I've been out of WoW since early Cata) the bomb-diggity.
  11. Psistorm

Psistorm Cupcake-About-Town

Personally I've used pitbull UI (I think that was the name) for clean, high visibility hp bars and all, recount to track my performance, and atlas loot to track what i need.
    Early on I certainly wont need those, but recount might still be nice to see how efficient my build is being, so thats always welcome.

I also used DBM, but mostly because it was required by our guild to raid, and it actually was quite helpful. I trust wildstar will not allow those kinds of mods, and design its fights around their absence. It worked fine in WoW because it eventually was built around players having it, but that didnt really make the game better.

Anything else depends on the default state of the UI, but I already trust Carbine to include the important stuff, like a sell junk function, nearby resource tracking on map/minimap and other things.

Edit: since Dragnog mentioned, oh yes. Omen might be a good thing to have so I don't accidentally pull the mob and know when to slow my DPS down a bit, to give the tank a break.

Edit2:
    Debuff tracking is another nice one to have. Not necessarily tracking extra ones, but enhancing the debuff tracking the game offers anyways, making the important ones (for me) more visible to me so i dont have to stare at a tiny icon on the boss HP bar
  12. salazar

salazar Cupcake-About-Town

Been a while since i played wow, but atlas loot was really awesome, truly missed that in rift.

Some kind of damage meter or parses. Been using ACT for rift :D
  13. MrBushido

MrBushido Cupcake

I'm assuming Carbine have learnt a lot of lessons based on popular addons in other games, so perhaps the functionality of them will be part of the default UI or even redundant for W*. Regardless, here is a list of addons I used to use in WoW and why.

Custom Action Bars - Dominos/Bartender - The default action bars were <REDACTED>. Mainly because you couldn't move them, but also for neat customizability like creating smaller action bars for consumables. (Probably redundant in W*)

Custom Unit Frames - PitBull/Shadowed Unit Frames - Again, the default UI doesn't let you position ui elements and if you did use an addon to move them they didn't always look too good once repositioned. Another plus was that I like the minimalist art style these frames used.

Custom Bags - Bagnon/Combuctor - While having 6 bags lets you organise things, it makes hunting down elusive items a pain in the ass. A single inventory is a must, filterable bags (search by item name/quality) are even better.

Inventory Management - MrPlow/SellJunk - Easily selling unwanted items is a must, I mean why do grey items even exist in wow?! Just gimmie more gold! MrPlow was a nice addon for sorting your bags (put items in to full stacks and sorted by alpha/type).

Auction Management - Auctioneer/Auctionator - The default auction UI is terrible. Auctioneer allowed you to data mine item prices, mass buy and a bunch of other stuff that blizzard didn't implement themselves. A great way to save time.

Raid Boss Mods - DBM/Bigwigs - Perhaps telegraphs and less predictable boss fights will make these redundant in W*, however knowing that boss abilities were off cooldown and such greatly simplifies raiding. The alternative? "One potato, two potato, three potato".

Damage Meters - Recount - Love it or hate it, damage meters tell you who is doing well and who is not. Sure you might meet some jackasses that live and die by the results on the meter, personally I want them just to see how well I'm doing compared to others and find out how I can improve. Without damage meters as a metric, you have no idea if you understand your class.

Ability Notifications - Power Auras Classic - So good that blizzard added them to the game. If W* has proc abilities and such then an addon lik PAC would be great that lets you make an icon appear in the middle of the screen when it's ready. Ideally in a raid you want to be looking at your character to avoid damage and stay in range of the boss. Addons like PAC let you keep your eyes away from your action bars and on the job at hand.

Gathering - Gatherer/Routes - Gatherer with Routes let you generate the shortest path between gathering nodes in a zone. I'll agree that it's somewhat cheating to have a GPS-like gathering addon, but at the same time gathering in a WoW-like run around the zone till you spot a node, right click to gather it is extremely boring. The less time I spend doing it the better!
    TehTic likes this.
  14. Ninereeds

Ninereeds Cupcake-About-Town

I use two addons with WoW. One is gUI 3.0 which is an extremely minimalist UI set-up and has a bag addon built in that organizes my inventory and sells junk automatically. I can't live without that add-on and it's customization.

The other addon is DBM and I only have that because everyone pitches a fit if you go into a raid and don't have it on. Personally I'd rather play in a world where that wasn't required but until WS comes out I will have to deal with it.
  15. plic70

plic70 Cupcake-About-Town

After reading some of the following posts, I forgot CD/buff/debuff timers, cast bars, and actionbars. With the way combat is looking I don't think a DBM/BW will be neccesary or even work properly. Carbine has said they want the raid to be dynamic and change week to week so they don't get old. Not to mention the telegraph system already in play, you don't need more circles of GTFO on the floor.
  16. Poet

Poet Cupcake

Personally I think the devs give you the tools and you play with them... As previous posters have alluded to the mods become mandatory and and can lead to some pretty awful behavior from certain questionable members of MMO communities.

On the flip side i have seen and used some pretty cool mods
  17. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

Same camp as Extatica - there's no addon that I need to have.

I prefer raiding with addons like recount for analysis or UI tidying ones like grid.
    Threatmeters was good for putting out the maximum possible safe dps when I was dpsing (back when tank threat wasn't keeping up with dps) also good for tracking when tanks got parried etc.

Convenience/analysis stuff mainly I guess.
  18. Poet

Poet Cupcake

I agree that recount is a great tool for tracking your output but it just leads to recount chat posting in chat for 5 mans, etc... Maybe i am just jaded by poor users that makes me tend to be more in the "anti add on team" (if there is such a thing haha)

When I used to DPS, mainly heal now, part of the fun was knowing when I could push it and when to use my threat dump when I was a BAD DEEPS!
  19. Kalmander

Kalmander Well-Known Cupcake

The only mod I really need, is one to make party and raid bars really big and colorful. I play a healer and I do not have the best eyesight in the world. So looking at all those tiny bars can get tiring. If they already include ways to customize bars to whatever size I want, then I'll probably need no mods at all.

Damage meters, DBMs, threat meters, I can live without any of them. I actually think the game is a bit better without them (less of a numbers balancing game, and more of a... game), so I do not use them.
  20. Grelin

Grelin Cupcake

I had a few from WoW and WAR that I absolutely had to have.

Most people already mentioned all the WoW add-ons and what they do so I'll just list them.
    Gatherer, AtlasLoot, ThreatMeter, and a few other map mods.

For Warhammer though I used a lot more that were UI focused.
    -BuffHead, Pure, and Enemy were all UI mods that either changed your health bar, put debuffs and buffs above your characters head, or helped you locate your enemy a little easier.
    -Class Specific add-ons like Twister were a must for classes that had auras or the sort to help maximize your classes usefulness/overpowerness.
    -DammazKron to keep track of all the kills and deaths you've ever had vs. certain opponents. Helped you grow grudges over people or be nicer to those you've killed 10 times in a matter of 3 hours. :)
    -And Lastly, Dye, so that I could preview all the different color schemes I could use on my gear to make it look the best. Turns out orange and purple go very well together :D