1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What are your "almost" deal breakers?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Nexus Elites, Apr 8, 2014.

1. calebrus

calebrus Cupcake-About-Town

I think he's referring to a satin/silk blend.
    And as we all know, Leviticus 19:19 reads, "... you shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed, nor wear a garment upon you of two kinds of material mixed together."
    So clearly he's saying that the Dev team doesn't wear blended fabric clothing, and are therefore not sinners.
    I mean, I thought that was obvious.
    Livnthedream likes this.
  2. Bazeleel

Bazeleel Cupcake-About-Town

Clearly this was the case.
    calebrus likes this.
  3. Dysp

Dysp Cupcake-About-Town

I've had a few: Battlegrounds, poor performance in beta (running below 20 fps pretty much ruins any action oriented game), class variety, open world pvp.

I'm not a huge fan of the BG maps. I'd like to see some more interesting map designs/types with less focus on running masses. I'll mainly be pvping in WS and so I'll likely be playing the two maps quite frequently until I find some arena and warplot teams. The player count is fine in the current BG if only the maps spread teams out more. In competitive play they generally should spread out more, but we'll see. The recent updates to the moodie mask bg did improve it significantly, but it's still pretty easy to run into traffic jams.

Map particle effects in WS really beat up my computer. I've seen there are console commands to scale the level/number of effects, and so hopefully those commands will make their way to easily changeable video options menu. Further optimization passes should bring WS up to a consistently playable state for my setup.

Classes don't seem to have that many effect variations for same-roles. Each class seems to be built with 2 consumers and a handful of cd abilities. I hope hybrid builds will be at least relatively viable. The UI 2.0 patch will be changing a lot, so we'll have to see how all of the builds work.

Open world: sanctuaries and pve-one-shot guards pretty much...

I like that you can use the group finder for server-only, but I don't think it's going to be used frequently. It's not a deal-breaker, but it is a bit sad to have a feature that will skip over a server community building mechanic. I would've liked to see a group finder option that had an expanding search where it tries to find party members from your server first automatically then expanded to a cross-server search after a specific amount of time had passed for both dungeons and pvp.
  4. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

Isn't that what they've said that the system does currently? It'll try to match you with your server first then goes to the other servers, UNLESS you have chosen "My Server Only" then it just keeps trying to match your server.
  5. Felion

Felion Cupcake-About-Town

Battlegrounds map variety is of course welcomed, but it's one of those things that they'd add on with patches and expansions. Optimization, that'll be the last step before launch.

I think hybrid builds will be very much viable in both PvP and PvE. Everyone in PvP is a hybrid period. In PvE you're expected to be funnelled into a more particular role, but the healer would still often bring a cc/damage just in case and the dps bring emergency heal/cleanse/cc/buff if they can. I imagine though once at the level of elder game, raids will be pushing PvE players to dig deeper and fully optimize whatever they do, pure builds would only shine there.

As for class variation, there are some key differences in playstyle, emphasis is on different things. But I agree that other than spellslinger and stalker, the other 4 classes have somewhat similar mechanism (again though, with different emphasis). It's good for balance but not good for differentiation, but I think a lot of them can be differentiated with just tweaks in resource design and or innate design. Again probably a patch/expansion thing.

Open world, well sanctuaries and one-shot guards are kinda the given, it's afterall, not a sandbox game. Just a matter of how many sanctuaries there are I guess.

I do believe group finder already functions has you've described, as Kat has mentioned. I've been doing dungeons and keep randomly joining with the same people (people on my server that I've seen before).
  6. Dysp

Dysp Cupcake-About-Town

Well then.. it's not an issue... :D

I hope different BG types are introduced through patches rather than just expansions. BGs are a primary pvp system with the lowest barrier to entry, so they should be robust enough for very extended play.

As for the hybrids, it's completely speculation on my part. I've heard that splitting assault and support power really just weakens your build (you also need to collect more gear to mix and match). I don't know the itemization of cap, but I'd like to be able to run decent hybrid builds mixing assault and support just for variety.
  7. calebrus

With an even mix of DPS and Support gear, you won't be as good as a pure healer/tank, nor as good as a puree DPS, but you'l be able to do both effectively (if you're good enough to multitask it).
    That's the trade off > Top tier efficiency for Versatility.
    No matter which class you choose, you'll eventually get enough gear for both. So I suggest you start with a focus on either support or DPS and primarily go for that gear first, then accumulate the opposing gear as you go. Theoretically, everyone *should* be able to naturally hybridize themselves over time if they choose to.
  8. Dysp

Dysp Cupcake-About-Town

With the focus system (healing uses focus exclusively) I could see there being maybe 1 or 2 backup hybrid dps units for flexible healing and whatnot. If a full healer runs out of focus, they pretty much can't do anything for awhile. So possibly a backup hybrid could run as a weaker dps that hops over to healing to help a main healer regen focus. In this scenario the raid could fine tune their composition to not have excessive healing with the addition of a few hybrids.

I could also see some of the melee dps taking partial tank specs to increase their survivability, but as you said, hybrids will be less efficient. I think most everyone will be running with an interrupt, but I could see some players being more interrupt specialized with bonus Interrupt Armor tiered spells.

Most of my points from my original post were really from my initial experience with WS. The more I've played it, the more I've enjoyed it. I'd still like to see more battlegrounds, around 5ish.
  9. calebrus

They have more in the works, and have already started internal testing on one of them, so more will definitely be coming post launch and at least one of them will be coming quickly.
    15m43s
  10. Felion

Felion Cupcake-About-Town

There of course still need to be synergy. Remember there are 6 "trees" in the amp, assault, assault-support, support, support-utility, utility, and utility-assaualt. Utility is the PvP tree basically. Some of these trees, in fact most of them, have some synergy. But that's not to say you just do random whatever combination and it'll work. When I say hybrid, I meant you'd likely have points invested into many trees to get different assault/support/utility amps, you'd likely have a mixture of all kinds of abilities on your bar, you'd likely have to balance your stats a bit too. But obviously, you can't possibly hope to do damage as well as the pure damage build and do healing as well as the healing build if you combine both at the same time in your own build.
  11. Kellth

Kellth Cupcake

This isn't a deal breaker and is more a look into the future but i hope there will never be any flying mounts for that will kill the world immersion.
  12. PalsyPlague

PalsyPlague Cupcake

No.1 deal-breaker: a penis.
  13. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

Back when they were discussing this they said that the world was BUILT from the ground up for Flying Mounts. how can it kill world immersion when the world was built for them? Until the Devs heard from some of us, the community, flying mounts were in the game. They were listening and reconsidered and haven't added flying mounts (yet), but still.
  14. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

I've took my time and watched newest dev-speak's and some older too and I must say that fight looks actually slightly faster there and fun. Avoiding all those telegraphs is more likely more interesting than even Diablo gameplay.
    Nexus Elites likes this.
  15. Fishsticks

Fishsticks Cupcake-About-Town

Maybe it's just me, or perhaps it's the streamers/devs playing here, but this PvP does not look very enticing. I've only played Walataki Temple, and others have already brought up some issues with that particular map, but this vid just left me feeling "meh". Maybe I thought the other BGs/Areans would blow me away compared to W-Temple, I dunno.

To me this looks like a good amount of just zerg and spam (again, this is certainly at least partly due to the players involved), but I've also seen very few opportunities for people to 'make plays' - that is to say, throughout this stream I didn't have any "Wow, nice play!" moments.

Have people had different/better experiences with later PvP?
  16. Kellth

Kellth Cupcake

Are you saying flying mounts would not kill world immersion? They defiantly would even if the game was "built from the ground up for flying mounts". It would probably kill off the explorer path or hinder it. All i am saying is that i don't want to fly in the sky with a mount from point A to point B. I want to be able to experience the world content.
  17. Benevon

Benevon Cupcake-About-Town

Halls of the Bloodsworn, blegh. The attack/defend style BGs like that are always a zerg fest...and suck. WoW's Strands of the Ancients, SWToRs Voidstar were exactly the same. I wouldn't judge all PvP based on that boring style of BG. I'll be sticking to Walatiki until they patch in some new BGs down the road (hopefully before I hit 50 after launch lol).
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    Fishsticks likes this.
  18. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

That's why their plan was to have flying mounts only at level cap - AFTER you've ran through the world for 50 levels. And there are ways to keep the Explorer path relevant (barriers around jumping puzzles, etc), though most people that pick explorer will have already done the explorer content while leveling up.
  19. Kellth

Kellth Cupcake

Yeah sure you can do that but who are you going to see in the sky? For example i can be on my mount going to a city or on a trip to mine some ores. With a flying mount all you would do would be to jump down from your mount and mine the ores. Then when your done with that you get back on your flying mount and repeat the steps. With ground mounts you must maneuver around mountains, buildings and strong monsters. Also you might see someone fighting a mob and you might go and help them. You guys start chatting and soon become really good friends all from just one small thing in the game. My point is, is that it could be really helpful on the socializing part and world immersion part to not have flying mounts. Who knows though the explorer path might be hindered and you don't know that it cant be for a fact.
  20. spihler

spihler Cupcake

My almost deal breakers:
    - Unique names. Especially if mine or one of my friends is taken.
    - Lacking character customization. E.g. I want the eyebrow color to match the hair color.
    - A game that makes me long for the end of the quest. Like kill X monsters again and again.
    - Much time lost in uwanted travel.