1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What are your "almost" deal breakers?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Nexus Elites, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

I've finally got into game on this beta weekend and there is only one big things I don't like. It's a control scheme. It works like in WoW where you use your mouse only to move camera and your character around but you can't use mouse 1 and 2 buttons (or both) to do actions. I think that they should make it so action buttons on keyboard switch active spells on mouse buttons (kind of like in diablo game) and character should not have to move the camera with mouse or at all. Camera should be (optionally) positioned behind your character back. Moving mouse would change position (where it looks at) of character in the world. Each class should be designed to use mostly two main spells which require lots of movement around and a few utility and big hitter spells (ones which require you to stay still for at least a millisecond. Those utility spells and big hitters would not be switchable under mouse buttons (as they don't have to be). Only spells which can be cast while moving/dodging should be switchable so whenever you press let's say A on the keyboard spell assigned to A would replace spell assigned to left mouse button. The other way of doing it is to make all spells switchable but those big ones with a few second cool downs should be immediately removed from under mouse button after the spell is shoot (replacing it with previous spell with very short/no cool down). Currently the only thing which let me move and shoot at the same time is use of Razer Orbweaver which have thumb-stick I use for moving. Without it (suing ASWD only) I can't freely walk and use other keys to fire spells without stopping my movement. I think ESO works like this. Anyway, it's the only thing I don't like and I think they could add this new control scheme as an option if they really wanted quite quickly. It's up to Carbine. But without it I may not play as I can't get accustomed to my orbweaver thumbstick unfortunately :(

Edit:
    Ah, I hate CD on dodging. And no proper notification that it is not ready to dodge again yet. Also CD seems too long. Just make monsters faster.
    Ah, regarding monsters. It is a boredom. They charge telegraphs for 10sec. I can kill 5 other mobs in the meantime before 1st charge telegraph. We are not disable Carbine. Just let us be killed sometimes. When is it going to be fun, when we are lvl 50 ??? I played for 2h and my survival instincts are not satisfied at all. It's <REDACTED>ing lame!!! On the box it should say PEGI 12 ONLY!!!!!!!! Not trying to be disrespectful to 12 yos' :(
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  2. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

There is so much wrong with much of your critique. First, you should actually take a gander at the forums (since you know, its still beta) so you can see that mobs are hitting for drastically less than they should (will be hotfixed soon) but even with that in mind, you honestly expect the first ~15 levels to be "hard" (with your own personal definition of that to boot) in a social based game? Judging any mmo's "difficulty" curve on the first levels is the epitome of stupid.

As for control schemes, again, the forums are your friend. Basically your entire complaint is "fixable" through mods+hotkeys.
    Gronky likes this.
  3. Benevon

Benevon Cupcake-About-Town

There are addons that let you lock your mouse and bind the mouse keys I believe. A lot of people have been asking for that sort of option by default.

You are talking about pretty much overhauling their entire control scheme a month before launch. That won't happen. Get the addon, adapt to the current controls or move on to ESO.
  4. Gronky

I've bought ESO and FFXIV:ARR in the last two days. I've also bought WS. So I can play all. It's very good to hear there is some solution to problems I described. Does anybody know the name of such addon or have a link?
  5. Gronky

Well, it was highly subjective opinion. I'm happy about mods. If they work well I will be enjoying WS.
    But this rubbish control scheme should be picked by testers and changed long time ago. But I suppose game may be not designed to use mostly two active skills so control scheme I've described may not help long run anyway. Hopefully I'm wrong. Have Carbine told anywhere why didn't they use more intuitive ESO/diablo like controls?
  6. Benevon

Deadlock or something like that. Just head over to curse.com and check out the wildstar section.
  7. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

There's a Dodge counter on the left side of your LAS bar. if it's full there's a "2" if you use one it drops to "1" and if you use both it goes to "0" (i think? or just blank? not paid attention lol!)

What level are you? If you're below level 15, then of course the telegraphs are going to be slow - they're training you! Sure, you might have already learned before then, but there are others that haven't. Carbine has to strike a balance between you(learning fast) and someone else(learning slower) - and that's kinda hard to do. You should purposefully look for the larger/harder mobs that they just added to the game that add a challenge and more xp per kill so your quests go by faster.
  8. Gronky

I've found the indicator eventually :) But I don't agree with difficulty. Many people are games like Flappy Bird which is tough and annoying and they are having fun. Instead of "learning" how to play by making game dull in the start they should just late players die several times. It would be good learning experience and get some adrenaline pumping. I can be treated like a retard for half an hour but getting to lvl 15 takes much more especially if you are not grinding around like a crazy person. I just couldn't enjoy it. I have come back 3 times to WS last weekend and got to like 5th level eventually but lack of change in difficulty made me quit and I won't be coming back until I see some videos of people playing lvl15+ characters and actually being challenged by mobs.
    Btw, my criticism could be extended to most mmo's out there. I remember good times in WoW when I needed somebody to help me with some mob when I still didn't know that part of the game well. There are so many ppl playing new mmos that we never have problem finding somebody who can help if they are not around already. There is no point of making game so easy that everybody can kill every mob solo. Make noobies die on bigger mobs until they learn how to kill them or get somebody to help them. It does take long for help to come usually especially in low level areas where everybody start. Catering for solo noobies play so much is not necessary until game looses its subscriber. But then it does not matter any more, does it.
    I see 3 stages in mmo live:
    1st stage - very beginning when the best and more passionate of us start to play new mmo they were waiting for for several months/years. Those chaps are not afraid to die while learning the game and they usually want game tough and adrenaline pumping.
    2nd stage - other ppl + noobies hear that game is good and they join it. At this time there is a lot of people around who can help the noobies so there is no need to make game easy for them.
    3rd stage (if game is boring (too easy)) - people will start leaving it before they hit level X, then any noobie who does not know that game is boring and join the game will learn realise there is nobody to play with and game is boring to play as it is too easy and will leave after 5 levels
    3rd stage (if game is tough) - there is a lot of ppl playing the game to help any noobie. Players who repeat the game with their alts either belong to some guild already and have gm8s to help them with some bigger mobs or enjoy adrenaline pumping challenge so much the actually play solo. They are also good enough to kill mobs solo as they know the mechanics already.

Sorry for wall of text. I'm just frustrated. I hope now that EQN will require groups to kill most of the mobs.
  9. Gronky

I think the problem is that WS was not designed to be played with two main skills and the rest of them as a support. Otherwise they would use this controller model from the start. But maybe it could work out somewhat.
  10. Benevon

Maybe you should actually get past those early levels to see how challenging content later on can be. Questing is always going to be soloable for the most part, apart from specific group quests. Get up there in level and try some dungeons, I hear they are plenty challenging.

And no, this game was not designed for two main attacks and support. This isn't NWO. The current setup with the LAS lends to a lot of flexibility in playstyle. Though adding the ability to lock the mouse would still be plenty viable in this game.
    Kataryna likes this.
  11. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

Gronky - level 5?? That's not even out of the starting zones!! level 6 is about when you go to the first real zone! The tutorial zone and the starting zone are just that - a tutorial and a starting point. They're teaching the people who've never played an MMO how to play! You kill people too much in those levels and they'll quit. Try one more time (this weekends beta was extended to today 'cause of a few problems over the weekend!) and actually try to get out of the beginning zones - you'll find things are at least a little harder to kill and that you'll find more elite/hard mobs out in the "real" world of the game.

(there's rumor that once you finish the Arkship once you'll be able to skip it for subsequent characters, dunno if that's happening still though)
    Benevon likes this.
  12. Livnthedream

Gronky, I disagree with the rubbish control scheme cause honestly I don't like the one you propose. I really hate the mouse only steering and the like. Its a significant part of the reason why I bought an mmo mouse.

Also, you won't start seeing some actual "challenge" until Whitefall (20) since right now there is a pretty significant gap between 10 and 20 in terms of difficulty. About the most challenging thing you will find (its complained about enough) is some new mobs that will stun then telegraph a huge hit right behind. Which for most people is pretty easy to deal with once you understand the provided tools, but the sheer number still complaining about it kinda throws your theory about tough stuff right at the start under the bus.
  13. Benevon

Last I heard, the tutorial skipping will most likely be at launch. As long as we can still choose which zone to go to, I'll be happy. Though honestly, the Arkship can be breezed through pretty quickly once you've done once or twice.

And yeah, at level 5 you have, at most, three skills? It's a progression to get the player used to how the combat works, how the class functions, etc. Saying a game is too easy based on the tutorial is like Stephen Hawking complaining that high school science class is too easy.
    Kataryna likes this.
  14. Fishsticks

Fishsticks Cupcake-About-Town

I'm not sure how "download an add-on" is an excuse for not implementing extremely simple and obvious choices for control schemes (one which has been posted about dozens of times on the forums people seem to be so fond of referencing)

So you designed an MMO with "action combat" but force your users to constantly hold a mouse button down to turn the camera? Oh, and you also can't bind skills to your mouse buttons? But don't worry, because you can always go visit a source you know absolutely nothing about (and have no reason to trust) and download this third party program to fix it! Oh and if the game gets hotfixed or changed, this new 3rd party tool might not work anymore, or it might totally screw up the way your game runs, the mystery is half the fun!
  15. Benevon

Nobody is using the addon as an excuse. The game currently does not offer that control scheme, the addon does so that is your only option at the moment. I am all for Carbine implementing the scheme as an option by default. I personally won't use it as I am used to using the mouse button, but it should still be an option.

And I wouldn't exactly call Curse a non trust worthy source. Sure, you may not know the author, but the addons on curse can usually be vouched for by many many users. And the most used ones are updated frequently as new patches come out so there is little downtime of not being able to use said addon after a patch that may make it incompatible.

The snark is uncalled for.
  16. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

Someone made the add-on. It works. It means that at this exact second those that want that option can have it without man-hours going into it on Carbine's part when they're in crunch mode for release. However, I'm fairly certain that as soon as someone has some extra time they'll incorporate it natively into the game.
  17. Quietus

Quietus Cupcake

Wasn't that particular add-on (or one just like it) in fact created by one of the devs?
  18. Bnol

Bnol Cupcake-About-Town

The funny thing is they recently added mobs all over that are intended for groups, which give greater quest credit, and they are plenty challenging to solo(especially if you pulled them without realizing it), but you won't get any of that stuff at level 5, seriously getting past level 5 takes maybe an hour, unless of course you are slowed down by having to learn new mechanics.
    Kataryna likes this.
  19. Livnthedream

My reference to the forums was actually aimed at the current bug list, ie, this weekend launched with a bug that made essentially all mobs hit for nothing in comparison to what they are supposed to. It was hotfixed by the end of the day along with a couple of other issues that cropped up.

And yeah, allowing a completely moddable interface is excuse. That entire argument is like saying because cars can be equipped with nos that car manufacturers should be selling it standard. Deadlock is a non standard (even if it is desirable by many) addition. Its what the interface is there to support. Just like the numerous people who want the completely bare bones ui can do that through interface changes. It has nothing to do with mystary and everything to do with allowing you to customize your experience as you please. You know, one of the significant bonuses you have when it comes to gaming on a computer instead of a console.

It was initially created in a devs off time and then made better by a player.
    Benevon and Kataryna like this.
  20. Benevon

Addons, as a whole, are a fantastic aspect of pc gaming for both players and game devs. It's essentially crowd sourcing the development of the game UI and adds a large level of customization in how you experience the game. In my years of playing WoW, I saw many addons that were eventually implented into the default UI.

Right now, can carbine add in the mouselock function? Sure. Should that be something that is a priority when an addon is already available that does the same thing? No. This new patch introduced a lot of bugs that need to be squashed before launch which is right around the corner. I'd much rather see them add the function in post launch (after all the post launch issues get smoothed out. And there will be issues).
    Nexus Elites likes this.