1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What are your "almost" deal breakers?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Nexus Elites, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Nexus Elites

Nexus Elites Cupcake

Playing any MMO (especially a new one) with friends is almost mandatory to your enjoyment. I remember when WoW subs first started to plummet and fewer and fewer of my friends actually kept playing. That's probably one of the top reasons I quit, but look forward to making new ones on Wildstar :p
  2. Spuddicus

Spuddicus New Cupcake

Probably beating a dead horse here, but: Optimization. I'm certain it'll get better as the game matures, but for now I'm getting very low framerates on a fairly decent machine. I can run GW2 on ultra high with a framerate that usually sits close to 60, and never dips below 40. Medium-low on Wildstar has yielded 20-30 FPS in most situations, dropping to 15 during boss fights, and it does hurt. I love the game so far, but if one thing peeves me about it in its current state, this is it. Again, I expect it to get better, so hopefully this will improve quickly.
    Fishsticks likes this.
  3. Grelin

Grelin Cupcake

My big gripe is definitely the starting areas. Not the Wildstar zones but the actual off-planet Arkships. It just feels like it's not part of Wildstar... which technically it not, but I just would have loved to have a better place to start, a more memorable and a more enjoyable place. Having phasing didn't help much either as I couldn't play with my brother even though we made characters on the same server and same time.

The other thing would be probably the amount of skills I can use at once. With I had at least 2 more abilities I could use so I could build the character I really want to play. As it is now, I'm forced into picking and going all in on a certain build. I can't have good survivability and good damage, or good CC and good damage. It's either one or the other which does bum me out a ton. I guess the system does exactly what it's suppose to do, make tough choices... but it's incredibly hard though on tank classes.

Oh well, the game still has a long way to go and I definitely plan on enjoying it during head start and after :)
  4. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

This reminds me. The arkships are part of the tutorial and I seem to recall months ago (turn of the year I think?) that Carbine mentioned that the tutorial arkships could be skipped after you ran through them once. This wasn't available during beta, but I had assumed that it was because well. It was open beta and tutorials need to be tested too.

Does anyone know if the whole skipping tutorial thing after first character is still in?
  5. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Well let's say that I haven't heard them removing that feature.

Indeed it was said that we could skip it once you've done it. But launch will tell us weither this is still true or not.
  6. Grelin

Grelin Cupcake

Well personally, I don't care too much about skipping it as I do about wanting it to be more memorable and be apart of the world. It's a pet peeve more than anything, not necessarily a deal breaker but more of an annoyance.

I will say this though, Dominion Arkship was memorable and even fun... but the Exile one just lacked any substance. I also wouldn't have minded a race only starting zone similar to other MMOs like Warhammer Online or WoW. But as I said "pet peeve" :)
  7. Benevon

Benevon Cupcake-About-Town

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42544-client-optimization/

Check that thread out. It does have some tips to help improve performance and also states that they are indeed working to optimize the game even further. Throughout the beta weekends and open beta I noticed a steady incline in FPS. The improvements on the video settings page also helped clear things up.

Also, I turned shadows off. I usually do in most MMOs as they can be a serious resource hog for something that is, IMO, a minimal visual aesthetic. I believe off wasn't even an option before (could be mistaken), but I saw a huge increase when I turned them ofd completely.
  8. Spuddicus

Spuddicus New Cupcake

I have tweaked the render resolution for certain bosses in dungeons, but it definitely makes the game look less pretty. Not saying graphics make a game entirely, but one of the things I really like about the game is its artistic value, and not seeing it in its full glory is disappointing to me. I've already had some fps increases with some of the ops week changes though so I'm hopeful.
  9. Alverad

Alverad Well-Known Cupcake

Combat, optimization, and since I found out yesterday, the rather awkward decision to restrict all beta forum users from posting unless they pre-ordered the game. An interesting way of showing some appreciation for people that have stuck around during the game development, in many cases for few years - first sign of corporate thinking - you've served your purpose, pay up now, or bugger off. Shouldn't be surprised, yet I am.

All the above makes me a little wary to push that 'buy now' button. The heart is telling me to just do it, the brain tells me not to rush. For now, just lurking around here, pondering.
  10. Alverad

Double posted for some reason with one click - took an awefully long time as well - forum issues? My connection is stable - in any case, sorry :p
  11. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

No, Technically the Arkships ARE part of WildStar (which is the GAME) since they're...you know...in the game. they are NOT part of Nexus (the planet). But it serves to tell you how you got to Nexus and explain things for Newbs.

Also, they have a functionality where you right click on your party member and click to Go To Party Member (don't remember exact wording) and it'll take you to their version of the instance. (this choice will not work if you just wanna jump across a zone to them - that's not what it's for....)
  12. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

I think that's more keeping the forums from clogging up with useless junk from people that aren't even going to be playing the game (or spammage from spammers...) 'cause if someone's planning on playing at this point they've most likely pre-ordered - just like I can't go back to the WoW forums and post anything even though I played for 6+ years.
    Livnthedream likes this.
  13. Benevon

Wildstar, thankfully, doesn't have phased zones like WoW does. Scenery will change for you but it doesn't phase out other players. What you are experiencing with your brother is instances of the same zone. This is done to cut back on congestion of areas. Like Kat said, this is resolved by right clicking your party members frame and simply teleporting to the same instance.
    Kataryna likes this.
  14. Vusion

Vusion New Cupcake

One word names for characters, and each class only being able to use the one weapon type. Minor gripes.....
  15. calebrus

calebrus Cupcake-About-Town

One word names for chracters I can understand being a gripe for some people.
    One weapon choice, however, I cannot, and I'll explain why.
    Invariably, when there are different weapon choices, there is always one choice that outshines the others. There is always one weapon that's just plain better than the rest. The extreme vast majority of players will use that weapon (or effectively be choosing to gimp themselves), which only gives the illusion of choice in the first place. Basically, when there are multiple weapon choices, everyone uses the same weapon anyway. In many cases, that weapon is so much better that many players from diferent classes end up using that weapon whenever they can, which actually *lowers* the number of weapons you see being used and compounds the problem.
    There are very few games that offer different weapon choices where players actually use a wide variety of weapons in play.
    Then you take the fact that everyone all wants to use the same weapon type and throw in a Raid/Instance situations and you end up with a ton of players all wanting the exact same loot, while other loot is wanted by no one at all.
    WildStar's choice to only allow one weapon type solves both (all?) of these issues, asthetic (stylistic?) and loot distribution. In my opinion, only allowing one weapon type per class is a blessing in disguise. In WildStar, when you see any particular weapon, you know exactly who that weapon was designed for, and the chances of players either fighting over it or ignoring it completely goes way, *way,* WAY down.
    Livnthedream likes this.
  16. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

Honestly the one word character names have probably bothered me the most. The reason they gave was it provided for more secure databases to prevent hacking. I guess someone could always create an addon to put in a last name, but it still makes it harder for someone to get the name they want. Especially after how the whole name reservation thing went.

Though I do kind of like the one weapon thing. For me, it makes need/greed roles a lot easier. It does make the classes more distinctive. Plus there are lots of weapon skins too.
  17. Alverad

I thought of that, but frankly, it would make more sense to make new, official forums, like most games do, and move the discussion into there. I've been away for a while, work being hectic, only to come back, trying to see what was happening in my topics or those that I follow - I see a like here and there, but bah, can't view them, can't reply, can't even check the profile for the friends list, and worse of all - not even a courtesy email saying cheers, see ya in game. Guess I'm old fashioned, I do like a doze of good manners ;) WoW does not allow you to post, but you aren't locked from viewing anything and you have full access to your profile.

Suppose part of the problem is Carbine opted for mainstream commercial forum software, which is potentially limited in itself unless you're willing to do some custom work on it, if the license even allows it.

Back on OP, performance is the main killer - 4 computers at home, old and new, mid to high range, and none can play Wildstar without fps issues. Upgraded my main machine last month for work (or at least that was my excuse to myself :p) with a beefy i7 and new GPU - absolutely no difference in game during the open beta period recently. My old laptop seems to handle it best, still I don't enjoy spinning the camera 180 degrees only to find the fps drops by half when you do that - sometimes it even works the other way around! Magic I say :p Don't think I'd stay sane during launch with hundreds of thousands of people affecting performance as well, hence, no pre order. I do miss my hover board :(

Nice to see you've stuck around Kat, now I'll blame you for wanting cookies in the midde of the night ;)
  18. Grelin

Grelin Cupcake

The thing was though, the teleporting to the same instance button was broken. Was a bug that many others had for weeks so I just hope that they fix it in time for launch. Scenery wasn't the problem... it was the fact that I could see my brother while we were playing. Could invite him to the group but couldn't play with him. As I said it was a beta bug and I really really badly hope that they fix it in time for launch.
  19. Benevon

I didn't know it was bugged at one point. I had used it once or twice during the first or second beta weekend without any issues but I didn't group a whole lot during the betas. It should be something that will be fixed for launch since it's pretty important. In fact, it may have already been fixed but I'd have to check the past patch notes.
  20. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

try the forums again today. they had a screw up in the Forums that wasn't letting people post - maybe that's what your issue was. I couldn't post anything yesterday 'cause of it.