1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What are your thoughts on Gathering?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Anhrez, Mar 21, 2013.

?

Wildstar Gathering

Poll closed Mar 28, 2013.
  1. Gathering skill restrictions

58.3%
  2. Free form gathering enabled

41.7%
  1. Anhrez

Anhrez Cupcake-About-Town

There has been lots of speculation about crafting but I was curious about Gathering.
    Guild Wars 2 leverages a open gathering format where every gets everything is they jsut decide to slow down and take it.
    WoW and others have a limited gathering skill set, where you must opt for the gathering skill.

Which do you think would best promote a strong Crafting environment within Wildstar ?
  2. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

I would rather see free form gathering. If I see something that is gather-able, then let me pick it up. I may not be able to use it, but I can certainly sell it to someone that can as long as I didn't destroy it when I gathered it.
  3. Anhrez

That is a another interesting concept I hope the thread could discuss, should nodes be single spawn first come first gathered or leverage a persistent spawn where its available to each person per spawn?
  4. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

well, we do know that gathering can spawn mobs to kill and even rarely spawn big boss style mobs....
    ruff_ethereal and Anhrez like this.
  5. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

Yes, all the more reason to let anyone pick daisies. :D
    Zilvoran, Scrapple, Wreck and 2 others like this.
  6. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

I would rather see gathering skill restrictions, freeform gathering is nice in theory but with everyone picking up stuff I found I was unable to make a decent profit with raw materials, whereas in WoW I could run around on a gatherer mining or picking flowers and sell them for a decent profit since less people where farming for them. Of course WoW had server specific AH rather than a global AH which really helped too.

Either way I'd like to avoid the dreaded orichalcum daily runs like in GW2 have the high level good crafting mats spawn randomly like in WoW rather than 8 spawn points per day.
    Wayoverpowered, pseudo and Ashiktara like this.
  7. clack

clack New Cupcake

For some reason, gathering has been just as fun for me as killing a bunch of monsters. If I have time to kill in a game, I usually spend it exploring and gathering. As strange as it might sound, it's my escape within the game. If I ever get tired of the grind, I'll take a while and go sniff around to see what I can find.

But about your question, I really don't mind the restricted gathering model. I'm not sure what they want the economy to be like in Wildstar, but the restrictions add value to gathered materials. So it's going to be interesting what happens to the relationship between crafting and gathering on Nexus.
    Soylentgreen likes this.
  8. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

It depends if you are limited in the gathering skills you can train - as I like to level multiple alts and cover all crafting skills across my account then so long as I can gather all resource types on a single character I don't really mind if it's skill based or free form.
    I also prefer the 'instanced/phased' resource spawns per player rather than first come first served as the latter just encourage people to be dicks rather than polite to each other and punish groups levelling together if there's any materials overlap in crafting skills.

Maybe having 'spawns per group' would be better on PvP servers to promote conflict over them but I can't really see any reason for first come first served style on PvE servers + that style of system tends to favour the gold sellers/bots who will make more cash via botting resource collection due to their relative scarcity (compared to available to all spawns) for other players.
    Anhrez likes this.
  9. Eiderescole

Eiderescole New Cupcake

I'd like to see a combination of both. Place quality on items gathered. If you aren't specialized you gather a basic quality resource, but if you are specialized you can have a chance to gather higher quality resources. Make the quality of the gathered resources change the quality of the crafted item associated with it.

Slightly better stats, longer durations, maybe even added effects for rare elements.

Allowing specialized gathers to refine lower quality resources into a higher quality at a loss , or putting limits on the number of high quality resources in the crafting process might keep low quality resources from being useless.
  10. Ashiktara

Ashiktara Cupcake

I would love to be able to pick everything however it does hamper the economy pretty bad. Take RIFT for example. You get 3 professions and everything is .. well cheap as heck on the AH. Gathered materials usually go for a minimal price because just about everyone can gather just about everything. I think wow had it right letting you pick 2. You can 2 production, 2 gathering, or 1 and 1 if you prefer. This makes the economy a little more lively.
  11. Ashiktara

Ashiktara Cupcake

It's a cool idea but once again it would plummet value of rescources and be meaningless to gather since you could just get everything next to free on the market.
  12. Anhrez

Now that is something I had not thought of. In past games if you did not have the skill level you mined grey junk that can be sold to vendors and took the spawned node. If there was specialized versus non-specialized anyone could mine for ore but to get extra impact you specialize.
  13. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

I prefer free form gathering, that's how I move my wife around the map.

Me: "Hey honey there is a node over here! And when your done with that, help me kill this boss for the quest...."
    Her: "On my way, have things to pick on the way to you."
    Me: <watching her walk zig zag on the mini map> /emote tap
    Her: "OK found you... what boss? Oh wait my bags are full brb..."
    Zilvoran, Assistenten, Mudfin and 4 others like this.
  14. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

Definitely have to vote for restricted skills. I think you should not only have to pick a skill as a gathering skill to do it, but also the nodes should be tagged, meaning only the gatherer can use it (until it re-spawns in the future, of course!)
    Anhrez likes this.
  15. Joukehainen

Joukehainen Well-Known Cupcake

As much as I love gathering all the things, I think gathering skill restrictions work better to encourage player trading/economy. And helps give me many monies on the AH for all my hard work. :B
    Wayoverpowered and Anhrez like this.
  16. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

With the way they are doing gathering, they have the ability to do some really cool gathering. I would like to see people have to invest into the system in order to gather everything. I wouldn't do it like WoW where you need to be this tall to gather this rock.WS can do so much better then that.

I would rather see a system where you need to make a set of bind on acquire tools. Things like you need a ranged mining laser in order to mine this floating rock because the base pick can't reach, or you can't harvest that flower unless you have a tool that is able to safely disarm the minefield it grows in. Maybe a kind of ore that is invisible to the naked eye unless you find it by using macro polo type sensor probes you crafted.

When it comes to universal vs private. I have a lot of experience with that. It really depends on if we want people to work together or not. If you want people t0 go out and gather supplies together, then yes make resources private. If you want people to try their best to avoid each other, then make them public.
    Anhrez likes this.
  17. Kirathis

Kirathis Cupcake-About-Town

All for restricted skills. I like being able to make money as a gatherer. Heck, if they implemented it well and the prices didn't go crazy, I would even be ok with saying you cannot gather on a toon if you craft. It adds another dynamic to the game and make an interesting economy. Of course provided that the crafting materials do not cost 10x the finished product.
  18. nomotog

Price inversion where the finished goods go for less the the materials is a whole new thread talking about what causes it and the ways it could be prevented or even if we want to prevent it.
    Anhrez likes this.
  19. Anhrez

I know it seems 'too soon' to be talking MMO economies as we know so little but if you start the thread I can guarantee that I'd be posting nomotog
  20. nomotog

Well that is kind of the thing. (We can use this thread. I think) People think it's like an economic trick. Like their is some herb cartel or a kind of some kind of ore derivative, but the issue is way less complex then that. Mats are simply more valuable then the fished good. No tricks no wizardly. They are priced exactly what they are worth and they are simply more valuable then anything you can make with them.
    pseudo and Anhrez like this.