1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What are your thoughts on Gathering?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Anhrez, Mar 21, 2013.

?

Wildstar Gathering

Poll closed Mar 28, 2013.
  1. Gathering skill restrictions

58.3%
  2. Free form gathering enabled

41.7%
  1. sendlor

sendlor Cupcake-About-Town

I totally agree with you but grinding can become very boring after some time so (off-topic) that's why they implemented the housing system :D.
  2. Celtkhan

Celtkhan Well-Known Cupcake

Not exactly. Mobs had a limited set of things they could drop, but there was still a lot of randomness to it. Fish were good for scales, but you could just as easily end up with blood or fangs. The droprate was pretty bad, too; maybe 1 in 4 dropped something. With needing 8 of anything to create a green (or, heaven forbid, 15 for a yellow), I could end up farming for hours when all I wanted to do was pound out some armor.

More than once, I outleveled the armor I was trying to create because I ended up getting so much kill XP! No matter how you slice it, being unable to craft at-level armor makes crafting a worthless waste of time.
  3. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

I didn't have too much of a problem with the regular armor crafting 8 or 15 didn't seem too bad, the ridiculous part was anything remotely related to that mystic forge. 250 of things, or those stupid lodestones which really had no reasonable way to farm and you still might need 100 or even more.
  4. Dpz

Dpz Cupcake

Gathering skill restrictions. It creates a healthier trading community imo, it allso make individual players more "needed" where you can offer different services to others.
    Anhrez, Alverad and pseudo like this.
  5. Zinn

Zinn Cupcake-About-Town

I would love to see a Vanguard type group gathering system. Where if you harvested a resource in a group you get more from the resource with more people people gathering it in your group. If the resource then is a rare quality spawn there is an incentive to get as many people there then before harvesting it.
  6. spencerBAXLEY

spencerBAXLEY Cupcake-About-Town

Not to mention ANet, in all their infinite wisdom, decided to punish you for attempting to farm (really anything, but since we're talking about crafting we'll just stick with that) by lowering droprates if you continued to fight the same type of mob.
  7. Alverad

Alverad Well-Known Cupcake

GW2 economy is really shaky and hard to benefit from, unless you are playing the AH - but to start doing that you need to have ingame gold to invest. Can't help the feeling it's not player controlled at all, rather 'guided' by Anet via various means...from limited drop rates, to diminishing returns when farming, through the fact the everyone can gather everything reducing resource trade to a very low level; all the way to holiday cash shop items that drive the prices of gems up and down in a ridiculous manner. The way I see it, it actually contributes to bigger gold demand from third party website, driving the bot problem out of proportion, when in fact, the cash shop should prevent it.

I am definitely for seperating the gathering per profession or according to any other 'measure' someone can come up with. Especially, that we will already have means, via housing plugs, to obtain certain materials we need and potentially can't gather?

Really think trading in games should provide a strong foundation for ingame ecnomics, it's yet another aspect of the game you can dedicate yourself to if you're not a harcore raider/pvper. Trivializing trading/gather professions and reducing them only to an occasional craft for ones own benefit is just lame and lazy.
    spencerBAXLEY and Celtkhan like this.
  8. Lyli

Lyli New Cupcake

I wouldn't completely mind restrictions on which skills for gathering I can have, it's a way to specialize one's self into certain professions, it's an incentive to create new alts for other professions and you have to rely on the economy/community to be able to buy certain mats for crafting itself.

I wouldn't like the return of the items to use for gathering like Guild Wars 2 though, if I'm gathering, I don't want to worry about having 200 mine picks and sharp stuff, or be penalized cause I don't have the money to buy the gathering item itself. I like to put my mind off and just go gathering for 1-3 hours without having to worry about having enough items. :)