1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

what can Wildstar learn from Guild Wars 2?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by salluks, Jul 13, 2013.

1. salluks

salluks New Cupcake

There is a lot of Buzz in GW2 community about Wildstar. Since the publisher for both the games is the same, i reckon, they would definitely be influenced a bit from each other.

GW2 is a financial success, really good game and growing when it comes to PVE , however the PVP side of GW2 has been a failure.

The biggest reason for this failure is the ignorance of PVP/WvW in GW2. Every PVP/WvW player will vouch for this!

My only worry with Wildstar is this - its attracting the same people who are really disappointed in GW2 and already moving on from it within 1 year of its release.

Since Both the companies have the same publisher, do u think, Carbine studios could probably get "influenced" by Arenanet in their desicions.

I know many guilds from GW2 are looking forward for this game. i really hope this doesn't repeat , that in 1 year, when the next mmo comes out, these guilds will again leave disappointed

My only suggestion to the devs is to listen to the community and bring changes as efficiently and as fast as possible( something that GW2 PVP fails to do).

What are your thoughts.
  2. Ellianar

Ellianar Cupcake-About-Town

Wildstar can learn from GW2. Look at what they did, and don't do that.
    Kempast, Aldamar, Zivec and 8 others like this.
  3. Skippy

Skippy Well-Known Cupcake

Best thing Wildstar can do that GW2 didn't do? think about things before doing them.

Bringing in limited time skins that can only be obtained with real money purchases that can be sold on the trading post for incredible amounts? that's a big no-no.

One time events happening in primetime of one part of the world that rewards a lot of people with items that sell for the highest amount in game? another big no-no, Both of these things heavily effect (and in my eyes) ruin the economy.

Ignoring PvP players while looking after PvE players? they neglected WvW for a LONG time before making any changes or even introducing some sort of reward system. another big no-no.

Promoting rather than discouraging huge zergfests in WvW making top tier realms complete lagfests and largely unplayable? another no-no.

Funny thing is most of this stuff would not have been a problem if they thought things through before doing them.
  4. Sqwarsh

Sqwarsh New Cupcake

Seems like I heard a lot of complaints about how they handled server swapping. Hopefully Wildstar will not have that issue.
  5. Baeldan

Baeldan Cupcake-About-Town

Ironically my experience was that sPvP was really good, WvW was good but flawed, and PvE was a horrendous disaster. If anything, GW2 should teach every MMO that there's a reason for the trinity and to hold on to that glorious concept for dear life. GW2 should also teach that formulaic levelling, no matter what the form, is still formulaic and therefore gets boring.

Other lessons include:
    -The need for some kind of endgame progression
    -The value of story-driven content and dialogue
    -That zerg-dominated open-world PvP is lame for everyone (ok fine it's just lame for me)
    -Juice is amazing, especially when you have a cool art style. (If you don't know what juice is in game development: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/178938/Video_Is_your_game_juicy_enough.php)
    Aldamar and Witless like this.
  6. Isgu

Isgu Cupcake-About-Town

In a recent interview, I think it was with Jeremy Gaffney, it was said that they had a team of people go over to Arenanet to discuss what worked and what didn't work for them, so it's safe to say they will have some feedback from GW2's successes and failures.
    Wildstar is also quite a lot different than GW2, and so far the devs are listening so we'll just have to sit back and see what happens since they certainly do have all the pieces to make this game a great one.
    Rumze likes this.
  7. Roland Daemon

Roland Daemon Cupcake-About-Town

The Dev's actually talk to us about various MMO's from time to time in IRC.

Sometimes they helped with games, sometimes they just played it hard-core cause they're gamers like ourselves.

I Have no doubt in my mind that they haven't spent a massive amount of time looking at what mmo's did wrong or right.

As far as GW2 went. The big thing I enjoyed was the overflow servers and I Thought they did that right so people could actually log-in and get back on their server.... lot of things they could have done alot better with and alot of things they just failed on completely (I understand having skills tied to your weapon.. that's awesome and I like that.. but I would have liked to have changed the order that they were in, Anet :( )
  8. Sapien

Sapien Cupcake-About-Town

Wildstar already have the trinity and raids and as it seems limited travelsystem as taxisystem and i hope not instant travel, according to me it was here GW2 failed for me.
    If GW2 had it right in thouse three things i whould still been playing it.
    Pushkina, Catrike and Rumze like this.
  9. FlamingRuby

FlamingRuby Cupcake-About-Town

Can you please explain me a bit more about it?

Totally agree with that one!But if they have a cash shop i think we are not going to see something else!
    Remember that all NCSoft games became a cash-shop driven games!(Lineage 2 f.e)

Well Arenanet was saying:The game will be out when ready.What they did?They launched the game sooner and was incomplete.The last fight at the story was so pathetic that i quieted the game after that.
    They promised a housing and something to call home and we visited that place for like 20 levels and then never looked back.
    On top of that Arena-net said that they indeed published the game sooner than they had to.Guess who pushed them?

And yes.They have a common problem.<Redacted>
  10. Skippy

Sure, I am talking specifically about the Karka event on southsun cove. They basically ran a one time event that ran for multiple hours, to basically hunt down the karka queen and chase her back to her lair then destroy her. The event was incredibly planned but very poorly executed as the servers couldn't handle the stress for most.

This event landed at around 3am Western Australian time (and i got up early before work to attend but many others would not be able to), obviously the time this event started made it impossible for many to do, and then at the end after killing the boss there was a chest. This chest had precursors included in it's loot table (if you don't know what they are they are weapons used as components for legendary weapons).

These precursors sell for incredible amounts (up to 600-700 gold), the most expensive single ingame item you can get from a vendor is 100 gold as a comparison. later on they went back and realized they screwed up and awarded everyone who went to the event with a chest they could open for loot, to reward those who the servers died out on.

But they never recognized they did wrong with the one time event yielding game changing loot (i say game changing as that much gold makes someone incredibly wealthy in GW2).

Hope this cleared it up a little for you, sorry if i oversimplified some stuff to I'm not sure on your GW2 knowledge.
  11. FlamingRuby

Well this is a problem if a company runs in US and you are in a very different time zone like 10 hours:)
  12. Skippy

Exactly, so my point is one time events, Especially ones that reap game changing rewards, Are incredibly bad ideas and shouldn't come anywhere near the game.
  13. Isgu

Isgu Cupcake-About-Town

That will always be an issue, behind every project there has to be funding, and more often those people will not care about the game being finished, they care about the $$ it will make them.
    As for the GW2 story, I agree, the last fight was underwhelming to the point that I thought it was a joke, after such a long time hyping it from their side it left me with a bitter taste, not to mention that I wanted to hurt Trahearne with something really sharp. That being said, I did enjoy the game for the duration that I played it.
    Still we can only hope they do actually release when it's ready. :)
  14. FlamingRuby

Well Jeremy Gaffney has stated that they want all players to have a chance to obtain everything in game one way or an other!
    The problem is that if they make events even if they are not one time and its based on US time we can do nothing.
    The worst thing is that they do those events times that are only suitable to the US(Cause they are US based) and then add the items to the store for 2-3-4-5 or whatever bucks:)

This is what Swtor did!They sold the game.Earned money.And said:Any more incoming is welcome.Saw that the model wasn't working.They offered a silly F2P model.Earning more money cause the game is selling itself for the title:)
  15. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

Things Gw2 did wrong (IMO) and I would not like to see in Wildstar -

RNG - all those boxes with the random/rare chance to drop something.

WvW is a gold sink - you can't earn money in WvW like you can in PVE. Anet never really understood that for some people (like me) the PVE in the game is beyond boring and they would rather not grind a dungeon or whatever to get gold. So I hope in WS PVP has equal rewards to PVE.

PVP is not a priority - I am a WvWer and I know this. PVE and the living story stuff have higher priority. They don't even warn us when there is a new build just kick us out of WvW. last one happened only yesterday and yesterday was reset night (one of the most important days in WvW).

Stuff that were bugged or not working properly since beta has not been fixed yet (like the commander system).

The game mode is slightly broken because they encourage zerging which I do not think is PVP. more like Zerg vs Player or Player vs Door ( since they just ran over the resistance). They even capped the AOE of abilities to 5 players. That does not help smaller groups fight against larger ones.

PVPer are getting fed up and leaving. Red Guard arguably one the best guild in Gw2 are disbanding and will come back for camelot unchained. A lot of people in the Farwell thread posted the same thing "see you in camelot unchained" was even closed temporarily by an Anet mod.

Basically you have the majority of WvWers playing this game because its the only choice at the moment for RvR.

I stay because my guild and server community are fun.
    Screenager and Witless like this.
  16. Teehk

Teehk Cupcake-About-Town

Dont make Spvp, dont let NCsoft rush the game, and for the love of god dont make it that casual
  17. AusterlitZ

AusterlitZ Well-Known Cupcake

In terms of major features,i think GW 2 only did one correctly,same tier of gear for sPvP,the rest,from a hardcore player point of view was really bad.Zero competitive PvE,pointless zerg WvW,only one game mode for sPvP,lack of balance,bad combat (excluding the targeting and dodging which was good),bad personal story,bad dungeon design,loading screens between maps,lack of things for players to strive for,bugged tooltips,skills,traits,that took 6 months to fix.
    One year later gw 2 still has no competitive PvE,still has no GvG,still has only one PvP game mode,i think Carbine should learn what to NOT do from gw 2,the qualities got flooded by flaws unfortunately
  18. NILVIO

NILVIO Cupcake

Just dont abandon your community. ArenaNet is company that created one of the best PvP game ever, so people totally expected that GW2 would be atleast decent PvP game. But patch after patch they just slapped pvp community in the face.

Another thing is that if you make game based around skins, then PvP and PvE needs to be equal. Now in GW2 some skins take years of grind to get in SPvP when PvE players get them in few weeks. Exclusivity would be answer to this problem, but they just cant see it...

So what WS can learn from GW2? Dont split your community and keep listening it.
  19. salluks

salluks New Cupcake

Well atleast for PVE's, there always something to look forward to . like the new content every 2 weeks.

but for us WvW, we have nothing, absolutely nothing :(.

every major guild has either already left, in process of leaving(waiting for wildstar release) and these guilds are not even individual players, they have huge no of people in them.

PVE is anyway expected to do well.i only hope Wildstar pays a bit more attention to PVP or ateast give them as much priortiy as they would for PVE.

from what i am reading so far, wildstar has promised the same things that Anet did when then game was not launched like leaderboards,statistics, rankings. etc. but haven't followed up on anything yet. there isn't so much as a online character profile in GW2.

i know sometimes dev get to excited and blurt out things which they may come to regret later.
    Anet,despite being so cautious of what they say goofed up big time with the ascended gear and SPVP being an esport.
  20. salluks

salluks New Cupcake

somebody described GW2 perfectly - its too random for dedicated players and too expensive for casual players.