1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What do you you NOT want to see implemented?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Brotoi, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Brotoi

Brotoi Cupcake-About-Town

Tip o' my hat to Autumnal for her alien invasion and "I welcome our new bunny overlords" artwork that got me to thinking...

I really, really, really, really, REALLY hate zombies!

There is one thing I really do NOT want to see in WildStar: living undead zombies, skeletons, whatevah!

I mean, if they're there, I'll grit my teeth and bear it, but it has been so overdone by so many games that I am literally sick to death of the undead!
  2. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

Don't you mean sick to undeath? :D

For me, I don't want to see integrated VoIP. I just feel that it has no place in non-FPS games (sure, by all means get TS or Vent running for your guild, but don't let me casually hear a burly Granok speak like the squeaky teenager he actually is!)
    Brotoi and Autumnal like this.
  3. Autumnal

Autumnal Cupcake-About-Town

[​IMG]
    (Sorry, Brotoi, I just *had* to do it.)

Well, there goes my idea for a Stem Dracolich. *sigh*, back to the drawing board...

I think 'undead' has been done to death (pun intended), but I think it may still have it's place in some seasonally-appropriate "event", (Like All Hallows), and then be done with them for a year.

Or, how about "Invasion from planet Zombosis?" yeah, you see what I did, there. ;)

Oh! waitamminute! Even bettah! A"Nega-Nexus" where you have to *save* mobs from AI controlled hunters. Or a phased instance where you have to fight wave upon wave of mobs you've killed in the past, to 'atone' for imbalancing nature....

Okay, brainstorms aside, I do not want to see a lack of subtle pop-cultural references, in NPC names and Quest titles. I've always loved those..
    Scrawny likes this.
  4. VooDoo

VooDoo Cupcake-About-Town

Gear scores.

Anything at all related to how a number or value can be given to any piece of gear and have it reported somehow in a log... I really dont want to see this. This of course leads down the path of raid progression in a gear centric game, but I really think there are better ways of showing what a player is capable "to include" their gear as well as accomplishments and skill.

Break the mold and come up with someway to show "skill score" instead of "gear score"
    AlBQuirky likes this.
  5. Dragor

Dragor Cupcake

I don´t want to see some small itsy bitsy cute races to play -.-

1. There is no match for purple haired bunny girls!
    2. I dont like itsy bitsy cute things at all.
  6. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

I know a lot of people like it, but I hope they do not implement teleporting as a means of travel between cities. If it exists, then very limited; like between major cities only and not to the small towns. I would like to have travel limited to feet, mounts, and ships.
  7. Dansa

Dansa New Cupcake

* Race gender restriction
    * Class restriction (any race should be able to be any class)
    * Gear score
    * Asian/Anime inspired armor/weapons (we have enough of those)
    * Retarded death penalties (aka Allods Online)
    * Raids with more then 10-15 people
    * Subscription

I want to see a undead race. Don't listen to the first poster ZOMBIES are cool
  8. Dragor

Dragor Cupcake

Why no Subscriptions?
    Most of the F2P games are even more expensive, when you want to be competetiv in any way.
  9. Brotoi

Zombies were cool when I was four. Forty-six years, dozens of movies, and hundreds of games later, enough is enough! (>_<)

Zombies represent a complete and total lack of creativity on behalf of a design team. In my opinion, anyway.

And since you brought it up, I'm a big fan of subscription-based pricing structures. There are business models that produce more money, but those models do not deliver a better product for the price, they just raise the price.

But, naturally, you're entitled to disagree.

Now, back to things I don't want to see:

Corpse runs!

This feature completely and totally killed WoW for me. I wasn't that much of a fan anyway. Having to run across half the map as a ghost only to find some zone boss six levels above me just happened to wander over and lay down for a nap right next to my rapidly decaying body did not improve the situation one bit.
    Autumnal likes this.
  10. Dragor

Dragor Cupcake

Erm Gronak Espers...

As equal as horrible as Tauren Paladin or Mage *shrugs*
  11. Khalm

Khalm New Cupcake

I don't mind the undead. Would like it if they were brought out for halloween and made scary though. Maybe zombie bites are diseased and can spread to other players.

As far as death penalty, would make the most sense to clone yourself. So if you die, you respawn at your last clone facility. Dunno how to explain all the loot you are wearing though. But if chests are popping up from challenges out of thin air, I guess it really doesn't matter. I just don't want death to mean nothing, it's gotta be kinda annoying a bit. Not to the extent of EQ or Ultima Online are anything.
  12. FerretParade

FerretParade New Cupcake

Well corpse runs need to be done right. I really had fun making money group invising folks in EQ2 before they really took it out. Becoming some ghost detached from the rest of the community was just annoying in WoW.

As for what I don't want...I don't want the max level progression to solely be just gear progression.

I also second with taking the ease of teleporting all over using clickables. Make it a certain class's ability to punt. It helps build a stronger communities.

Absolutely no cross server contact...this is probably my biggest hate of all time in the mmo feature timeline.
  13. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

1. I think this is more of a possibility than you may realize. Considering their entire art style was inspired by numerous comics/anime such as Naruto and Full Metal Alchemist.

2. Why? Subscriptions help pay for the updates and future content. I understand that F2P games such as Guild Wars and soon Guild Wars 2 are free, they also utilize cash shops. So in the end you're paying more for the content than the subscription would be.
    Of course, this is my opinion and my view on it all. I'm still going to play GW2 until WildStar is released, or I'm accepted into BETA.
    Brotoi likes this.
  14. Nonsensicles

Nonsensicles Cupcake-About-Town

*stares down* Everything about this is wrong, except the tauren mage part which is something they can't be anyway.

Oh, Brotoi, what about sophisticated techno-zombies, like the Borg or Cybermen?
  15. Autumnal

Autumnal Cupcake-About-Town

Frankenstein's monster is techincally an undead, but he's also a "scientifically re-animated construct"

Edit: Okay, all things undead aside, I just thought of something that would positively KILL WildStar for me. Keep in mind, this is based purely on speculation, and it's doubtful the system will be in place, but it is, however, based on real observation for other MMO's.

The whole "random chance at fortification" concept, where you have to cross your fingers when you upgrade an item from "+X" to "+X(+1)". Sure, we want to earn a "+12 epic doo-dad of rare awesomeness", but I have left heavily-invested games where your "fortification fails", even while using the best cash-shop "luck" items, and resets to zero and/or breaks, entirely.

If anything, make the "ingredients" harder to acquire, but for Aurin's sake, don't make gear upgrades "luck based". A company may see such a system as a boon for cash shop sales, but the average players sees these systems as pure greed, and a sucker's bet.
    Brotoi likes this.
  16. Brotoi

Meh...maybe. No oozing wounds, dead eyes, unrelenting hunger for living brains, rotting limbs, and all that malarky. Dead is dead. Rotting flesh belongs in graves not wandering around moaning orgasmically.

Excellent point! When Lineage II finally implemented crafting for everyone they also added "Enchantment scrolls". Apply one, 90% chance of success, apply a second, 80% chance, and so on, right down to a minimum 5% chance of success. Even worse, in the beginning they only dropped from certain raid bosses each of which had respawn timers rated in hours. Teams of Chinese players would run through the world hitting each raid boss in sequence gathering up Enchantment scrolls, reseting the boss' timers so no one else had a chance to kill one, and then selling the scrolls for insane amounts, which in turn raised demand for their secondary market gold selling business. Total insanity, completely driven by PvP cheaters seeking to one up each other.

Yeah, Lineage II left me kind of jaded on many different levels.
  17. Khalm

Khalm New Cupcake

I really hope we don't turn into SWTOR community where they are against anything that smells of WoW. No arena, no flying mounts, no battlegrounds, no cross server anything. I like more options, not less.
  18. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

I'd rather not see a cross-server random dungeon kind of thing, or flying mounts (at least not at launch). This has nothing to to with "smelling of WoW" - it's just that they cheapen the experience, in one way or another.

With a cross-server random dungeon finder, I don't feel that the trade-off between finding a group easier/faster is worth the loss of community feel. Eventually, most people who aren't leveling will end up sitting in a major hub to continuously queue up for a new dungeon, barely glancing at the chat or making an effort to be sociable while in it. Additionally, for many people, the bar to act like a complete bunghole is lowered substantially - the risk of retribution after, say, rolling on every single drop, is near non-existent: at most you'll get kicked out of the group and be given maybe a 10-minute cooldown before you're allowed to do it all over again to another group. Although, looking at WildStar's loot system that last thing might not be much of an issue if it carries over to boss/dungeon loot as well. I still don't think the loss of community feel is worth it, however.

As for flying mounts, they make the world feel smaller, and also take part of the fun of exploration and discovery out (and in WildStar's case, practically remove the need for the Explorer path - why choose that one when you can just pick up a flying mount later down the line and access the very same areas without an Explorer to show the way?). Unless the world is ridiculously big to begin with (I mean, we don't know if they're making all of Nexus available to us, or just a part of it), I'd rather not see them until the first expansion at the earliest, hopefully even later.

I also don't want to see what classes you can choose being restricted by race (or faction). Or a click-to-craft system (I've mentioned this already, in some other post... I think) - the potential for Carbine to make crafting more fun is just too big for them to cop out with a system like that. Also the gear upgrade system that Autumnal and Brotoi went over, but then again I think that system is mostly a thing from the eastern MMO market - western ones seem to gravitate more towards what WoW and Rift (among others) uses, namely tradeskills where someone can upgrade your gear, or craft an item you can apply to your gear, with no chance of failure.
    Autumnal likes this.
  19. Khalm

Khalm New Cupcake

@starspun;

I understand the reasoning behind not wanting those kind of features, but there has got to be a better way around them then just removing options. Flying mounts hamper world pvp? Find a way to ground vehicles, or have atmospheric pvp. Cross server groups destroying the community, have additional bonuses or loot rewarded by grouping in server.

Not saying they are perfect, but I am always for more options rather then less. At all times.
  20. Foxentist

Foxentist New Cupcake

I was going to post "No Cross Dungeon Finder", only to see Starspun beat me to it. I'm not sure if you were playing WoW before the dungeon finger came out, or hell, before The Burning Crusade, but grouping in WoW used to be fantastic (speaking as retail release WoW vet). And if you were there in Vanilla WoW, I'd be baffled you'd defend the Cross Server Dungeon Finder. It didn't just damage the community, it Cuep De Grace'd what was left.

Back when you actually had to ASK to get into groups, people were much more socialable. It could certainly take a long while to get groups on some days, and yet with all that down time conversation would always take place and you'd get friendly and comfortable with the people you grouped with. People talked CONSTANTLY during groups. With people being retained to server only, people would know you, and if you were a total douche monkey and ninja'd loot, word would get around and you'd be blacklisted and people wouldn't group with you (And if you were trying to spread garbage about people, people almost always found out and then you got in trouble yourself), all in all social ties kept the community clean and people in check by basic social rules of civility. And overall people were fun and open when grouping.

The Burning Crusades killed a lot of the good fanbase, but there was still a community left around to speak of. However that was left was killed when, eventually in the future Cross Server Dungeon Finder was added. I've never, in fact, witnessed such levels of douche-baggery before that I now witness in WoW on a daily basis. And even those who are not bad, the douches aside, everyone else is just quiet and never says anything, even when I try to break the ice and socialize. Only 1 out of 40 groups will socialize with me and just... have fun. Everyone else moves on their role like robots and only speak when they want to complain about someone else not doing their job.

Do NOT add the cross server dungeon finder, period. It slaughtered the community and I can't even force myself to play WoW anymore. The community was great vanilla WoW. The more Blizzard slacked and ruined it, the more horrible people started showing up. Now, WoW's community is the 4chan of MMOs. That is definitely something worth avoiding entirely.