1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What is going on in the game?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Alverant, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Alverant

Alverant Cupcake

I admit, I haven't been paying much attention to news about W*, but what I have heard isn't good. A lot of people on other boards are saying the game is dead/dying and a bunch of other bad things about it (yes, I know it's the internet but I found few W* defenders to counter the complaints). Earlier I found out my guild has pretty much disbanded as the leadership has quit. Personally I've noticed a huge drop in population. I hardly see another player unless I'm in Thayd. It used to be the commodities exchange was packed with players, now it's almost empty.

Now I learn the Cabrine president has stepped down partially for medical reasons and partially for other unnamed reasons.

I don't mind saying this, but I'm scared. I love playing WildStar. It would be more fun if I was on a server with more people and had a guild that wasn't obsessed with raiding at max level. (Sadly I don't think the game lends itself to teaming as well as other games I've played.) I am seriously worried NCSoft will kill the game soon. If they do, I'm swearing off MMOs permanently (or at least until City of Titans comes out). I don't want to deal with a game that got my hopes up then crashed and burns again.

Can someone give me some good news about Wildstar, please?
  2. RavenWind

RavenWind Well-Known Cupcake

That's funny still gets laggy for me Thayd there are so many people around (Server Thunderfoot). PvP queue-times are generally 5-10 minutes (not too long. not too short). Honestly I'm not sure if you are genuinely concerned (in which case don't be. W* is fine) or if you are are fear-mongering.
  3. CaRaDaGaiTa

CaRaDaGaiTa Cupcake-About-Town

Unfortunately Wildstar is a flop! The hype was fun, but it's over :(

R.I.P. Wildstar 2014 - 2014
  4. RavenWind

Now you, i'm sure you're just fear-mongering.
  5. Alverant

Alverant Cupcake

It's not fear-mongering. Look at the lack of activity on this board. I started this thread last week and no one responded until six days later. I've been online several times since I posted and saw NOBODY in my zone the whole time. I have a right to be concerned. You tell me W* is fine, but where is the evidence? Show me the numbers. The only recent news about the game are these "megaservers", but do you think they would be doing this is the population was as high in all servers as you say it is in yours?
  6. RavenWind

Well, first-off, this board is fan run, its not Wildstar so the population here is not connected with the population on the game.

Next, W* has been talking about implementing megaservers for a while now, well before launch. This isn't exactly new information. They are just ready to implement it now. They knew there would be early capacity issues adding new servers at a fast pace that after 3-6 months would start to decline in population till it levels out. This normal for all MMOs. The next step is to gain slow growth after things stabilize. We'll see if they Carbine can get that.

As for proof, as I said before, I see plenty of people when I'm on and even get laggy in Thayd there are so many on sometimes. Carbine has not released in any official numbers so there is not much more to give you. Only time will tell us.
  7. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

I like the game and I'm still there. Just needs a little time to mature and I have enjoyed the time since June. I like even the last two updates. Even though the August update was mostly the Daggerstone pass's pvp battleground which really doesn't apply much to me. I still liked it. But Espers finally had their starting builder go mobile. That was so great and very much needed. I've mostly been away from these forums because I've been playing instead. Plus I still have like 38 beta boomboxes left! I've really loved housing, though the d├ęcor limits are frustrating. Would be so much more fun if they were doubled.

The next content update, The Defile? There are a lot of things about it that I don't like. From notes I've seen is just looks like blanket nerfs to assault and support power. The thing about that is so many people worked hard to get better and suddenly, in one update, it feels like two months of careful collecting and balancing is useless.

Now the whole megaserver thing? I can see how it would be needed and helpful. But I've also been on North America's RP server this whole time. Considering that my only negative experiences with other players have been from joining LFG with people from other servers, I'm really not looking forward to the whole megaserver thing.

Overall, while the upcoming changes are things I don't like, I also think Wildstar needs it's first 6 months to grow and mature. I do worry about the whole 'hardcore' population. The 2% that want really hard raids and endgame. Many keep saying those are the people who hop onto the next game when one comes out. If enough leave, that will cause a more vocal 'Raid and Endgame' too hard majority to draw Carbine's attention. Which may lead to reduction in attunement or raid difficulty. Which would make a circle to upset the remaining hardcore people do pull them away.

Raiding itself doesn't interest me. The attunement process is too long and tedious to keep my attention. Plus I always like to play with music and headphones. It's hard to do that with the need for voicechat and the nature of raids requiring careful attention. I don't think that Carbine should make it easier to draw me to play the content. I worry if they make it easier it will drive away that '2% hardcore' population and result in more lost subscriptions.