1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What is stopping people from picking ONLY the Settler?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by αRomeo, May 23, 2013.

1. Berserker

Berserker New Cupcake

Oh, I absolutely agree. I didn't mean to imply anything with that post. I'm sorry if I offended you.
    Red_Death01 likes this.
  2. Ender

Ender Well-Known Cupcake

I'll be playing Settler too ;) I think it will be quite popular for the RP crowd in general, but probably more so than on an overall scale.
  3. Red_Death01

Red_Death01 Cupcake-About-Town

Personally speaking I'm defiantly interested in all of the paths as I enjoy every flavor of an MMO, in fact I'm alittle disappointed that you cant respect them but, it makes sense I guess- As I'm not exactly a fan of alts and instead focus upon 1 massively powerful character and achievements. Though because of paths I have kicked around the idea of possibly doing an alt.... not only for different races or classes but, now paths also change the leveling content apparently by 1/3 in each area.

Another thing to keep in mind is I think the 'crossing paths' (honestly they should've thought something better up for naming this it sounds a little... meh? Is also a good incentive to help players on their paths as you apparently gain exp yourself and loot. Much like how killing mobs in GW2 works and questing... at least what I presume.

*Edit:
    Did... Did I just witness someone apologize over the internet for feels?... Where am I and how do I wake up?
    Kataryna likes this.
  4. Revon

Revon Well-Known Cupcake

Ever since I first heard about the paths, I knew Explorer was the one for me. I've always loved exploring in games and finding hidden treasures and places. Jump puzzles also sound fun!

As for Settler, it's a social/support path. It means you will be making stuff for others to use, and I agree Settler sounds very nice with all the questhubs, buffs and the lot. But that's the thing, I don't need to be a Settler to get that. I can still get the buffs and quests as an Explorer as long as someone else is playing a Settler. I can see the Settlers being a very liked lot in the game :p Not only to play, but to just have around.
  5. Jojin

Jojin Cupcake-About-Town

All of the paths benefit those around you. It's just about what flavor you like the most and would take yourself to ensure the most access to it.

Just for example, you mentioned the settler can make bike taxi's for faster travel. Well the explorer can open up fast travel tunnels for their friends as well.
  6. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Directly to this:

So... first the speeder bike IS a taxi which can be built at a hub. Second, Settlers will build a building that lasts for about 5-10 mins then it will fall apart. Third, Settlers can add to the duration of the building by dropping off resources. Fourth, to build the highest tier buildings in a hub, it will take "many" settlers to complete the building and upkeep it. (I'm thinking "many" is 20-400, depending on how popular the hub is.)

So, the Settler path actually revolves around gathering resources and helping other settlers in the game, which also happens to help other players. I'll be playing explorer my first go around to be honest, but I'll likely try out scientist and perhaps the others as well. I think, just like every other path, the settler will attract a certain type of player, but not all players.
  7. Deimos

Deimos Cupcake

Well I was interested in the settler path but after thinking about it a lot, it doesn't fit my style. I'm not the most social person and I prefer to be on the move and the settler appears to tie you down as things get built and in the end it's not permanent where as, things like the scientist and explorer will probably give me a bigger sense of achievement. I'm probably going to go with the scientist now after thinking on it more, a cassian spellslinger scientist.
  8. Monarc

Monarc Cupcake

If all I wanted to do was build things I probably wouldn't be interested in this game vs. the huge selection of games specifically based around building things.
  9. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

You've entered .... the WSC Zone ... where people are friendly, the apologies are abundant, and the trolls aren't trolling! Are you sure you want to leave? We're fuzzy and warm here....eventually you won't want to leave! You'll become ... a Cupcake (or a Super Cupcake like me!)!
  10. Korath

Korath New Cupcake

I must say that I don't even know if I'll really play the game, with my old computer and such, but if I play, i already know that Scientist will be my Path : jumping around isn't exactly what I love in a game, nor crushing skulls more than necessary, and even creating building, while interesting, is far from the bliss of discovering a new bit of lore while scanning a strange flower.

At least for me.
  11. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

One of us... One of us...
  12. αRomeo

αRomeo Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah, that's what I wanted to see, thank you. It definitely made the other paths look more appealing, as a scientist you can upgrade your bot and it will get some cool skills and *gasp* you can name it as well (which is small detail, but cool none the less :p). The explorer if I heard it correctly gets some speed boost, this makes them more beneficial and they get path xp for helping each other out.

The settler seems to be more evolved around finding resources for his buildings, and require other players to help him out, but still feels like he is contributing more then the others, maybe that's just me.

According to one of the videos, I do hope that you will be playing on a pve server, and if not, at least have a backup when you are solving those puzzles. It has been in my experience that stealth classes/lurkers like to ambush people in places that would be the most frustrating place to be ambushed in.
  13. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Glad it cleared some issues up for you.
  14. αRomeo

αRomeo Cupcake-About-Town

I guess it is settled?
    Trahma and BlindSear like this.
  15. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Hahahaha... knee slapper that one... :D
  16. Korath

Korath New Cupcake

I've been a casual pve player on a pvp server on WoW for a long time. I can handle the roguish <REDACTED>s ganking me ! I'll use the alt power to do others things until they have enough to waste their time staying near a corpse :D !
    αRomeo likes this.
  17. Zaelia

Zaelia New Cupcake

As someone who obsesses over trying to find ways over walls / onto buildings / up mountains in nearly every single game I was thrilled to see the explorer path. If you see me and I'm not jumping around like a lunatic trying to get past some invisible wall preventing me from falling out of the world. Then I'm probably afk. However, if explorer was not a thing then I would definitely be choosing settler.
  18. Agneos

Agneos Cupcake

Everyone can have a speeder bike and a mount, for starters. They build structures that are only constructed for a certain amount of time. Paths are not meant to be, for example, like WoW racials where people sometimes pick races to min/max. Example, choosing a Stalker Scientist won't make you any better or worse than your friend the Stalker Explorer. Paths give you more of what you want in an MMO, they give you more of your favorite content. Paths don't give you "Overpowered" abilities, not at all. Sure, you'll get abilities, but they will not outweigh other path abilities. You pick a path based on what your preference is, not because you think being a Settler or Scientist or Explorer or Soldier will make you better than anyone.
  19. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

Unfortunately there will be people who pick paths just for the perks that they give (it's impossible to make them balanced, each of them will have some benefit that certain people will seek).

There are still going to be a wide mix of people with different paths, not everyone is going to pick whatever is strongest, there are going to be different benefits to each, each patch changes which is strongest, people will play what they want to play, people will play what their group doesn't have, people will play it because it sounds cool. Every player is different, that's what paths are aimed at.
  20. Awesomnius

Awesomnius New Cupcake

I have to admit, the Settler did seem tempting but I think I'll still go for the Scientist. A Granok Scientist. :p