1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What is the elder game?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Allarielle, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Allarielle

Allarielle New Cupcake

Hi, I've been watching Wildstar from the sidelines for a bit, and it seems like Carbine is taking seriously the idea that different people like different things. I've played a number of MMOs, and with the exception of Warhammer online, the 'best' gear, and hence the only real progression, only came from raids. Now I get that a lot of people like raiding, but when character progression beyond a certain point is limited to raiding-only, the game gets really boring for me.

So I'm playing Wildstar, I've reached the level cap and had a blast doing all the quests and story content. Sometimes I go for PvP, sometimes I go for small group content, and if I have the time I might be able to find a guild to raid with for a few months. If I'm doing small group content, is it a challenge, and does it give worthwhile rewards compared to raiding? If none of my friends are online or I only have a short amount of time to play, is there anything 'challenging' and 'rewarding' I can do solo that directly progresses my character? If I do join a raid group, do I feel like all the progression I did before just went to waste, and now there's nothing left for me but more raiding? Essentially, is Wildstar going to be yet another MMO were the entire game at the level cap revolves around raiding and/or PvP, or is it actually going to have stuff to do solo beyond grinding?

Thanks for your thoughts :)
    Aheadache and Kurik Lein like this.
  2. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

No one here besides the Carbine employees have answers to these questions, and they ain't dishin' out details yet. :laugh:
    Patrician and Kurik Lein like this.
  3. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

The elder games will comprise of three things, PvE group content of varying sizes, group PvP, and solo content. We don't know quite yet how the rewards will compare from one raid size to the next but there will be 5 man dungeons, 20 man raids, and 40 man raids. PvP will consist of arenas, BGs, and a feature called Warplots.

When it comes to the story, the main plot of the game actually doesn't begin until you hit max level. There will be quest lines and you will learn bits and pieces of the world as you level but the story driving the game is one of the elder games. We don't know too much yet but hopefully that helps a bit. :)
    Fate Flyer, Lethality and Patrician like this.
  4. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

Well that's one of their major selling points so far, actually. They want to release episodic monthly to semi-monthly solo content that involves their "world story" for players to devour once they are at cap. We don't know exactly what this content is or what it entails, but it sounds like something alone the lines of lore and story being delivered in small bites every month as time progresses that further continues the main narrative they are trying to tell.

That's all we have right now though, as they have not released too many specific examples of what solo content players are going to get. But a lot of us are excited about it, and Carbine seems very excited too. ^^
    Kurik Lein likes this.
  5. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

You'd be best reading the February State of the Game where Gaffer talks about the Elder Game (in it's various permutations). Of particular note...

Don't worry - Carbine have you covered!
    Patrician and Kurik Lein like this.
  6. Slyndria

Slyndria Cupcake-About-Town

The "elder game" is what will make Wildstar sink or swim!
  7. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

You tell me! I wish I was playing Wildstar and having a blast with quests and story. :cry:

Nah but srsly, Like Zap-Robo linked to, Carbine's said on multiple occassions that they're very much thinking of the solo player ^_^. That's something I'm pretty hopeful for!
  8. Samsquanch

Samsquanch Cupcake

All we know so far is that the eldar game will have solo conent released monthly, pvp warplots (build your own fortress and take it into battle/big game pvp), 20 and 40 man raids, dungeons, achievements, and the housing system. Pretty good start if you ask me. Also, they already have a team working on the eldar game as we speak. So that is very promising too.
  9. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

I doubt that solo play will reward the players with gear that is equivalent to 40 man raids, but they have said they will focus on keeping the solo players happy with frequent solo-content updates.
  10. Scooter

Scooter Carbine Studios

Something we very definitely believe as well. It's probably the most common thing any MMO player will tell you about why their favorite MMO failed.
    Lethality, Liris, Kataryna and 5 others like this.
  11. Slyndria

Slyndria Cupcake-About-Town

SWTOR, comes to mind. Sorry to point that out David.
  12. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

We're still a pretty small community (and I'm quite new), but I just wanted to say that it's so awesome that you take the time to pop in here now and again! :)

I'm so stoked for Wildstar! :D
  13. Jon

Jon Cupcake

If not: Houston we´ve got a problem!
    InnocentCivilian likes this.
  14. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

Would you mind explaining why you think Solo players should get gear equivalent to raiders?
  15. Rogosh

Rogosh Cupcake-About-Town

If the quest is very difficult I would not mind them getting 1 reward equal to raiders, raiders can do the quest too.
  16. Jon

Jon Cupcake

17. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

Well, in a rules-based combat system... i.e. where statistics heavily influence the outcome of combat... there is no getting around the issue of "stats" (note: not necessarily "gear") being the primary player attribute, even above physical skill. It's the nature of the beast, and that's ok I think.

So, what does a player do who doesn't have the "stats" to compete? (PvE or PvP). The answer has to be progression - same as those who currently do have the necessary stats.

The trick is… how do you balance it so that 2 months down the road, one segment of the player base is not too far removed from another segment of the player base in terms of power? (assuming they've all been playing 2 months, and are not new players.)

• Should they be expected to step "backwards" a bit into the content they want to play and build their stats up for it?
    • Or should they be allowed to step "sideways" into any content at any time? (by the way, this ties into why I am not a fan of a separate PvP/PvE stat progression path.)
    As far as WildStar goes, Carbine has said some words somewhere about how the best stuff comes from all areas of the game. In my interpretation, this means there will be many ways to get perfectly viable things from almost anywhere, but specific ways to get the best stuff. For example, a raid might have the best X stat item for your class, and if you want it, you have to do the raid. But that also might mean that the best Y stat item for your class, comes from a deep aspect of crafting… if you want it, you're gonna have to craft!

So, that's my feeling on how they're going to solve it. Even though I personally believe the effort to organize and defeat raids should yield the greatest rewards, they will be only one channel to acquire only some of them.
    Yakzan likes this.
  18. Jon

Jon Cupcake

First you speak of vertical progression. From a game design point of view horizontal progression is also possible (WS seems to have both kinds but mostly a vertical progression).

Speaking of PvP there could be also a stat limitation to enforce an equal playing ground.

Anyway: I do believe that it is a failure of the designers that different areas of the game will have different BIS items because that means you will have to do parts of the game you would not do otherwise (meaning you will be forced to play parts of the game instead of those you are enjoying - at least if you want to be competitive).
    Yakzan likes this.
  19. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

You can make a system that isn't so stat heavy. A system where statistics don't hold as much power.
    Jon likes this.
  20. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

And I think that's perfectly fine. Because as you say, if it's someone who's min/maxing, they're going to have to jump through a few extra hoops. They sort of picked their poison.

For everyone else, as long as there are viable options available through their favorite parts of the content, all should be well.
    bitbandit and Yakzan like this.