1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What is wrong with the Questing?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Bloodclott, May 9, 2014.

1. Bloodclott

Bloodclott Cupcake

I see people bringing up the topic of the quests not being good all over the place and I still have not understood what exactly is wrong with the quests?

Any other MMO out there that uses a questing system is the exact same thing despite advertising themselves as different. GW2, CO, ESO, DCUO, GA, Firefall, and many others. My confusion here is you see this EVERYWHERE on the market of MMOs and the only games that differentiate from have you grinding mobs or are sandbox MMOs like SWG, Global Agenda etc. yet people still act as if the questing system is awful despite that.
  2. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

They want a coherent guided experience like you get in a single player game, and that doesn't really exist.
  3. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

wait...I thought the complaint was that you were too guided along and these people complaining were wanting quests that you stumble upon by exploring or talking to NPC's...as in no exclamation marks over heads, and only a "general idea" of the area the quest is sending you to.
    ( oh, and also they want every quest to be tied to the main story to make it "meaningful" instead of collection quests )
  4. Bloodclott

Bloodclott Cupcake

That kind of happens, you might find a few random quests if you explore caves or facilities thoroughly. There even used to be a small few that only explorers could reach (although the devs are removing it). The only game I've seen do that is ESO and you are likely to see how well that went.

I do see your point to a certain degree though, I am just genuinely confused at why people seem surprised and disappointed about questing despite how most MMOs with quests are like this
  5. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I wasn't trying to make any sort of point, I was just clarifying what these players were looking for more specifically. As to why they would be surprised about it, I think it has to do more with them just being whiny because its not what they want, some of them just blindly try out games because they have access to them, and it's always much more "hip" to not do any research ahead of time.
    Sporadic Spidey likes this.
  6. Sporadic Spidey

Sporadic Spidey New Cupcake

Hey. I agree with Convicted above. Just have fun with it. If you don't like questing, do PVP. If you don't like PVP, sit on the couch and read a book. If you don't like that, Watch potatoes grow eyes. Because they're watching you, too :confused:
  7. Bloodclott

Bloodclott Cupcake

Oh no I knew you weren't making that point, my counter was not pointed at you and I agreed with a good deal of your post. I was just bringing up my counter argument and some evidence to support it because I see that complaint a lot as well
  8. calebrus

calebrus Cupcake-About-Town

Dude, we really ned a friggin sig size limit on WSC.
    Are you kidding me with that thing, Spidey?
    When your sig is either taller or wider than the screen space available, you need to get rid of it.
    Kataryna, Quietus and Livnthedream like this.
  9. Dawnstar

Dawnstar New Cupcake

My only complaint with the quests are how many of them are bugged. Glad they fixed some of them this build.
  10. Inukeu

Inukeu Well-Known Cupcake

I think Quests are guided just enough to point you in the right direction but still give you choice's to exsplore/do your own thing, I really dont get what peoples issues are ? :confused:

I mean you want to do all the things and be lead about by the nose then follow the quests, you want to exsplore and go off the rails and stumble upon somthing fun then do that its your choice people really...
    Gronky likes this.
  11. Bloodclott

Bloodclott Cupcake

Back in CBT3 there used to be world story quests that were bugged to the point that you could not continue the storyline no matter what.
  12. Dist

Dist Cupcake

The most recent forum software update allows mods to now edit a person sig, so if you see someone who's sig is unreasonable please report it. While we don't currently have any strict limit on sig size we expect members to use reasonable judgement and not create anything that is obviously too large, offensive or breaking any forum rules or it will be removed and the user warned.
  13. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

If I were to complain about quests I would say that they should be better guided so I can finish them faster and move on. I want action and not scratching my head (for that I will buy Witcher 3).
  14. Quietus

Quietus Cupcake

You should try the Investigation missions in The Secret World then :p
  15. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

I like the quests. A lot of them are funny and entertaining. Mmmm...lick more lollilopp caterpillars....

I just feel overwhelmed at the number of tasks that suddenly pop up at once. One quest branches to different tasks. Then I bump into challenges on the way. I'm pretty sure I'll get used to it.
  16. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

same as every mmo.
    not similar enough to other mmos
    too linear
    too many of them are off the beaten path
    they are too easy
    they are too hard
    not enough lore
    too much information to read / listen to
    not enough rewards
    too many rewards
    not long enough (I actually wish there were longer quests, but thats really my only minor concern)
    quests are too long
    Gronky likes this.
  17. Laban

Laban Cupcake-About-Town

I dislike the questing in Wildstar because I dislike questing, the only game where questing felt somewhat decent was in GW2 where they were all public quests and you never had to pick them up or turn them in, but then again I don't think I even leveled past lvl 10 in GW2 since you could play structured PvP from the moment you created your character.

I'll be leveling strictly through PvP in Wildstar, so I'm not really bothered that the questing is just as horrible as in most other MMORPG's.
  18. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I wonder if questing will ever be done ''right''. (retorical so don't answer)
    But truth be told I dislike questing aswell, although I love the lore. That is also the reason I keep on going.
    If the lore was bad.....I'd never made the end line.
  19. Fiarre Catcher

Fiarre Catcher New Cupcake

I very much enjoy questing and I am a leveling junkie in all MMO's I play -- however I do find the questing experience a little disjointed in Wildstar -- can't really put my finger on why it is though and I have been playing for a few months. Maybe the feel of flow from one Zone to the next isnt smooth enough or it may be because there are a glut of quests that it clogs my journel and I feel I 'should' finish them before moving on? Overall it wont stop me from enjoying the game though :p .. there is HEAPS more I dig about the game than I dislike about it -- in fact.. not much I dislike it all, its just a 'mild' criticism/observation.
  20. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

It may be as Carbine said previously that we don't need to do every quest. I think it is better to chose the major ones and skip the minor unless you feel you need to gain some levels before going further. Then you can go back later to those quests and do them for reputation if you want. I just wish there was some indicator which would say which quests are main quests and which are not. Currently the only way is to just choose those which send you further into unexplored areas.