1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What path will you play? [Poll]

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Kaizan, May 21, 2013.

?

Which path will you play?

1. Soldier

11.6%
  2. Scientist

32.0%
  3. Settler

19.2%
  4. Explorer

26.5%
  5. Undecided

10.7%
  1. Sawpaw

Sawpaw Cupcake-About-Town

I think this will surprise you, as it certainly surprised me, but the buildings only stay for 10 mins if they are not being constantly worked on.

watch this@ 28.20 they talk about how long the buildings stay.

Apostate likes this.
  2. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

You can drop off collected materials to extend that time, and I'd assume the "upkeep" amount adds much more time than the initial build. (So 100 resources to build the building and keep it there for 5 mins, then another 100 resources would make it stick around for like 20 mins or something.) Though they didn't specify.
  3. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Soldier.

I think a lot of people are misreading/hearing what the soldier will be about but I don't blame them. Yes the game will include a lot of killing quests/missions/what have you but there will also be delving into other path content as well. It's hard to envision it but the soldier WILL get exclusive and unique content, although of course it will involve killing things. If you're a lore-whore, a major explorer, or a person who likes to tame the frontier, monster killing is a side-job since doing these things open you up to hostile environments. But the soldier specifically focuses on invasion, espionage, assassination, and demolition. Think of it as the exact opposite of a settler with a mix of the explorer and scientist, only that the places you see are breaking behind enemy lines and taking over enemy territory and the things you learn are critical intelligence on the enemy or a whole on their defenses that you can exploit to gain an edge and eliminate the opponent.

Maybe I just have a creative mind for the kinds of things a soldier and a soldier alone will be able to do, but then again the path just speaks to me. Killing and carnage, blowing up enemy bases, and just taking over enemy territory is all that I'm about. I like the other things a lot, but the thrill of battle is just too much to resist. I am a soldier, dammit, and you're as good as dead!
  4. Kishmet

Kishmet New Cupcake

they hinted in this article that some bigger projects might stay up for longer as well as that certain Quality of life improvments depend on Settlers like bus stations (flight paths?).

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/05/22/wildstars-jeremy-gaffney-on-the-settler-path/

In my opinion they have to hit the timer just right because with too low a timer nobody will want to be a Settler because it is cool (making a mark in the world) but you might feel forced to be one as the QoL features depend on you meaning with have huge amounts of Settlers purely for QoL reasons: Or since socializers are few and far between so will the QoL features be and the game might suffer.
    I hope Carbine might make it so that everybody can help build and maintain buildings as long as there is one Settler around. This would make sure that WS does not need so many Settlers (as it is from what I predict the least favoured path) while still maintaining their usefulness without it hurting other players.

Still dread what a Settler strike could do to the Nexus and what bargaining power they get from it (although the last bit is interesting).
  5. Xlugon Pyro

I could see that getting countered by people rolling alts/new mains as settlers. Any strike will fall on deaf ears if the holes can be quickly filled, and if the settler is fun enough, they will be.
  6. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

I have no idea.

Before the "reveal" of the scientist and settler path, I was sure about the scientist. I just love the idea that a mini robot following you and gathering all the little information about the planet and the former and present inhabitants of it. :)
    But than I saw the settler. Damn.. I want to build an awesome bar and a mount hub and... much much more.
    I also like to explore. That was the most enjoyable thing that I loved about GW2.

Hmm.. I see many alts coming. ;)
  7. Kishmet

Kishmet New Cupcake

Depends how quickly you can A) Level up your alt and B) unlock your Settler path's buildngs. Alts would only be a short term solution to low tier constructions in low level zones. Higher level zones and buildings would ofc suffer most from a strike. And you'd have to switch over to a Settler to keep maintaning it meaning that even though the strike has no physical effect you have now lots of players pidgeon holed into playing Settlers that can't play anything else or the Strike starts having a physical effect with buildings despawning etc.

I guess the problem with the Settler path is that other players depend on it far more than the other paths meaning that unless you have only altruistic Settlers things could potentially turn out bad. Like Settlers trying to extort money for building buildings and harrassing people who try to stop them things like that. And with a higher level of organisation of Settlers you could get more and worse problems.
  8. Xlugon Pyro

True enough. Although the settler is meant to be the most social path so if settlers decide to strike en masse, I would think that they'd quit the game instead. I think the path in part will attract more altruists anyway.

I would think any strike made would just fall through when others who are settlers don't care and continue to build or repair places for more competitive reasons. Maybe if settlers are worried about their work being abused they could unionize? XD
  9. Kishmet

Kishmet New Cupcake

Yeah true I am tbh more concerned with the fact that we will have too few settlers or that a lot of settlers feel they had to roll settlers because otherwise the QoL buildings despawn. The latter would completely invalidate the Path system as a system of "play how you want to play" so that could be the most devastating setback for Carbine. But that fear is mostly based on the fact that since the Settler is the most social path it will be the least picked due to people not liking to depend on other players if they have a choice to not do so.
  10. Xlugon Pyro

With how much people b**** around here about the loss of community in MMOs and the social aspect therein, you'd think there would be settlers out the wazoo.

The settler is the least interesting path to me so I hope there are enough settlers to make up for my disinterest.
  11. JoeDragon

JoeDragon Cupcake-About-Town

I was leaning Explorer, however now that I finally have information on Settler I'm definitely doing that first. My biggest fear with settler was entering the world, going from town to town only to find that everything has already been built up. Since things require a lot of upkeep, I know I will be able to contribute to every hub I walk into along my adventure.
  12. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

I am one of evidently many who will be going Scientist. :) Definitely was looking forward to that path and all the Eldan lore that you get with it since I discovered WildStar, but this new information, coupled with the new videos, only further makes it obvious in my mind.
  13. Jackie1st

Jackie1st Cupcake

Hmm, at the moment it looks like a toss up between explorer and scientist to me. I really like exploring things and it seems like both of those paths cater to that just in different ways.
    Settler seems like the class you'd want in group settings though.

Though just like classes I'll probably end up trying them all up to a point and seeing which one really appeals to me the most.
  14. Kaelang

Kaelang Cupcake-About-Town

It seems like the Scientist is a community favorite. I don't quite see why though. Why would you pass on builing structures?!
  15. Xlugon Pyro

I think you mean: Why would you pass on blowing things up and killing s***?!
  16. Kaelang

I do that anyway with my class ;)

I want my path to be something more..
  17. Xlugon Pyro

But you won't be doing it on par of the level of the SOLDIER. We make a living out of doing it, not just as recreation like everyone else.
  18. Kaelang

Yeah but when you sleep you'll get eaten by monsters.

I have a bed. Not only for me, but my guild too.

SNUGGLE > KILL.
  19. Xlugon Pyro

No.

Soldiers kill in their sleep.

Zzzzzzzzzz.. zzzskkkkkugh... <Swings hammer by the bed while sleeping, smashing the approaching monster into paste unconsciously.> Zzzznnnznzzzzmzmzmzzzzzzzn.....
    Fate Flyer likes this.
  20. Kaelang

We have peaceful nights. Monsters can't get into my custom made fortress.