1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What perks would you like to see for your path?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Mumba, May 28, 2013.

1. Azhdaha

Azhdaha Cupcake-About-Town

Allowing Scientists to take DNA from fallen animals to create mini-pets? You'd have my vote.
  2. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

Personal cosmetic options as well. So say as a soldier completes his 500th Holdout, he gets a path unlock which gives him a new facial scar unlock :)
  3. Zero713

Zero713 Cupcake

Jet Pack for explorer. Who doesn't want a jet pack?
  4. Flannan

Flannan Cupcake

That would be cool, but if there was something like that, I would like to see more than just "gets DNA, create mini-pet". Have it require more materials and/or a decent cool down to create one.
    Azhdaha likes this.
  5. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

I think at the very least the different types of mounts in the game will have little cosmetic things based on the path and maybe even race of the character. Like a Granok's hoverbike will have a string of beer cans connected to it and a cup holder. Or whenever the Granok accelerates, it leaves a brief trail of beer cans and empty casings.

Maybe the explorer's hoverbike can leave a little trail of rolled up maps or trinkets when it speeds off.
  6. Azhdaha

I would love for them to be able to create some sort of compendium of creatures too, and have some form of splicing ability to combine the DNA samples, but... now we're getting deeper into Pokemon territory. :D
  7. Flannan

Flannan Cupcake

Gotta replicate/splice 'em all!?
  8. Azhdaha

Science, science, what hath thou wrought?

[​IMG]
    eselle8 likes this.
  9. dancop

dancop New Cupcake

Let's focus a little bit on this idea :)

Wildstar is advertised as being focused somewhat on "platform jumping". Especially the explorer path.
    And I'm OK with that, I'm quite good with the controls and I can easily get to various jumping locations in other games (SWTOR, AoC). But there are a lot of people who can't jump (and not only the white ones :).
    I always have to take control over my wife's character to get her to hardly accessible spots, and I may suppose she will be pursuing the explorer path :) I just can imagine the problems she will have with a double jump...

So, the temporary bridge or platform skill for the settler path is really a great idea. Settler with a bridge will be a savior for a lot of people who can't perfectly master the controls and often fall from the edges :)

On the skill selection the cursor should change and the player may point on the location the bridge should end. The color of the cursor (red/green) should show if the bridge can be built. The starting point of the bridge=the settler location. Advancing on the path can make the bridges longer or more steeper. And that's my 5 cents...
    eselle8 likes this.
  10. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

Sounds good to this future scientist. Heck, throw in a puzzle or a minigame while you're at it. No one said DNA-sequencing needs to be easy, and I think a lot of scientists would consider the work well worth the reward.
  11. epiksheep

epiksheep New Cupcake

I would love to see how you play effecting the endgame content as well as the leveling. Perhaps each Path gets unique bonuses based on doing what they do best?

Soldier - soldiers get to collect trophies from kills that can be traded in at certain vendors for a little bit of extra coin, or they can spend some coin themselves and mount the trophy on their walls.

Scientists - scientists write reports on species, and after x kills/scans they get a a document that can be sold for high value to scientific vendors. Because they can also find the rare science labs, perhaps they contain additional loot and reports that can be turned in.

Explorers - explorers can map zones, providing an item that can be sold for a fair amount for every zone they complete, perhaps they gain a bonus for each zone they map. in addition they find hidden routes and gain access to loot chests that others can not (think jumping puzzles in GW2 that only they can do). Finally some locations may have 'hint' items for scientists that can point them towards a secret lab. A scientist might pay highly on the open market for such an item.

Settlers - Settlers gain a small portion of the profits of the buildings that they erect, if the building pulls in a profit. It should be a small bonus, as those sorts of things can rack up over time, but it will give a settler some reward for keeping up the fast travel points out in the boonies.

As a complete side, anyone know why they didn't call the explorer path the scout path? I feel like they lost out on some amazing alliteration.
  12. Skippy

Skippy Well-Known Cupcake

How about we look at an approach more away from abilities that can change gameplay, away from sprints / extra jumps and such and lets look at cosmetics. I was thinking more along the lines of things you can get for your housing plot that are unique to your path, things that you can collect in your adventures from various activities relating to your path.

Soldier - Could collect various skulls or bones from creatures (most likely things such as bosses / harder to kill mobs), weapon racks, chunks of creatures you tested weapons on? things weapons or killing things based ya know.

Scientist - collect DnA samples and create a menagerie of little pets in a pen at your house, maybe a coat rack with scientist coats you can actually interact with and wear around your house, scientific instruments like microscopes etc, maybe images from secret labs or something you find?

Settler - Can have blueprints around their house, tool racks, possibly a hardhat / worker outfit cabinet you can use around the house much like the scientist, images of their creations with matching blueprints? perhaps even building materials to stylize your house, maybe parts of taxi mounts to sit around?

Explorer - Could get maps , cartographer tables treasure chests / treasure they found along in their journeys, artifacts from tunnels and passageways, cabinet with an outfit to deck you out wearing climbing picks / ropes and such.

These are just a few ideas i have kinda thought up on the spot but it could bring some more customization to our housing without affecting gameplay or balance in any way.
    F8L Fool likes this.
  13. F8L Fool

F8L Fool Cupcake-About-Town

With this design a lot of people would be biased at the character creation. Even a 1% bonus is better than no bonus at all. Every pure PvPer and Raider would go either Soldier or Settler, depending on their roles. Soloers would stick to Scientist since it would have the most economic gains, while Explorer would probably be abandoned outright since there are mounts that would trivialize move speed.

Frankly I'm pretty scared to see what kind of abilities and bonuses come with each path. I'd prefer that they be so insignificant that a player only thinks to themselves "Oh, that's kinda cool" when they see it, rather than "I need to have that."
    Kookieduck likes this.
  14. Rhythmix

Rhythmix New Cupcake

I agree with these two you put! Especially the Soldier.

Something like trophies for kills on certain bosses to stick in your house? BOOM. Who wouldn't love that?

I also think they could take that idea for settler's from BF3 medic packs. Each time someone uses your stuff you'd get a bonus of some kind however if you were to merge that into something that would be on par with the soldier "perk" as it were, you might consider something like upgrading your stations in terms of looks?

E.g if you could build a resurrection station, after building 10, your station gets bigger or looks more appealing and after 100 you have something that looks like a space base with extra features.
  15. Paul_Cousins

Paul_Cousins Cupcake

I completely disagree.

What is there is point is having insignificant tricks for Paths, which players would put a lot of work into. This is an MMO, it is meant to be played as a group and the Path abilities should offer the abilities to help the group in various ways.
  16. F8L Fool

MMO's might meant to be played in a group but not at the expense of balance.Whenever you make any secondary mechanic powerful, be it trade skills, professions, or in this case paths, you create a situation where the majority adopts it as "the best" or the "only viable option."

However, paths by their very design are very much catered towards individual players. They are all about being able to experience things that you really enjoy to do but aren't typically encouraged to do, or even rewarded for. Not everything is about improving the performance of a group and it's best not to try and make paths something they simply aren't.

I'd also suggest you read up on the developers comments about paths and solo Eldergame. A ton of Wildstar is being designed specifically to enhance the solo experience, while catering to what Gaffney claims are the "65% of people" that play MMO's mostly solo.
    Underz likes this.
  17. UNDERZZZZZ

UNDERZZZZZ Cupcake-About-Town

Fool is right. A significant proportion of people will optimize against their better wishes, including me. It's the same reason I don't want racials, and if they are implemented they better spend significant time tuning them.

I have a feeling path abilities are going to be so strong, and there will be significant differences. I just hope efforts are made to address imbalances. For too long leatherworking was broken in TBC. For too long Undead were terrible as a PVE race.
  18. Paul_Cousins

Paul_Cousins Cupcake

It sounds like your worried about imbalance of an ability that can be spammed a lot.

Blizzard solved this problem years ago. They set the racial and profession abilities to have from a one minute and thirty second cooldown to a three minute cooldown. And it worked.

It allowed the abilities to only be useful in a tight spot, such as a boss battle where the healer cannot keep up.

For example, back in WoW, one of the alts I played was a Draenei and in such as situation as the above, I used the Draenei racial skill, a 15 second heal over time spell (which has a three minute cooldown) to save the tank and give the healer a little breathing room, and we beat the boss.

That is what I am talking about, these abilities should be used to tip the balance in a tight battle, not to spam all the time. And in doing so, it adds a randomness factor to MMO fights and makes the fights more epic.
  19. F8L Fool

No, that's really not what I am referring to. An abilities frequency of use doesn't always directly correlate to its effectiveness or power. What I'm talking about is making certain aspects of paths so advantageous in certain aspects of the game—primarily in respects to PvP—that the majority of players go that route. Underz touched on it above your last post.

The root of the problem is that you don't seem understand the purpose of paths either, since you have repeatedly referenced them in relation potential group utilities. The only real function a path should have in a group is to expose the party to extra bonus content that is related to said path, which in turn earns the group some path XP. Nothing less, nothing more.

Asking for special abilities that substantially influence group play is just distorting what the path system is striving for: custom experiences to match your personal play style.
  20. Paul_Cousins

Paul_Cousins Cupcake

From what has been stated the point of Paths is to round out game play style for players. And having abilities from a Path that enhances the player in the direction of their chosen Path makes the game better as a whole.