1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What sweetens a pre-order/CE for you?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Malisent, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Feliun

Feliun Cupcake

Personally for me, I would love to see any combination of the following,

Actually being able to get physical media i.e. DVD and have it before launch - call me old fashioned but I still love having the physical disc.

Name Reservation

Early Access

Authenticator- Definitely needed these days - plus they could do with an IP lock also.
    Would love a sort of "founder" special pet that's unique to pre orders and not just a re-skin i.e. the actual model is unique.

Beta access I can see would be an enticement to some, but I hope a lot of us might get that anyway. I suppose they could run a open beta weekend to stress test using pre-order people? :confused:
  2. Kahlan

Kahlan Guest

What is the point of buying the CE if all of the digital items are made available in a cash shop? The ten or so times I've purchase a CE I've regretted it because they're chockablocked full of items I didn't want in the first place. So, if I knew all the digital items from a CE were going to be made available to everyone else, I wouldn't buy a CE at all. I'd simply wait and buy any CE items that bore any convenience to my gameplay. I imagine a large number of people would also act in a similar manner and hold off on buying a CE if they could, essentially, customize their CE options. This thread is an excellent example of the potential for that to happen, because while some of us agree about some of the items that should be included in a CE, we also strongly disagree about others. This, to me, defeats the purpose of a CE - which is to give players access to extra goodies that the rest of the population doesn't have access to. Furthermore, it creates the potential for Carbine to lose money on initial sales of CE bundles they could have otherwise made from players who were interested in the exclusivity of CE items. It only takes a couple of appealing, exclusive items to encourage someone to buy a CE. Players have proven this time and time again.

I do, however, totally agree that our initial bag should be upgradable somehow.
  3. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

I don't think Siega was implying that all the CE goodies are available to buy. She was saying that anything that is beneficial to the gameplay should be available. To me this is the best way. Giving a headstart to CE buyers isn't a problem. I want CE buyers to get never-seen-before never-seen-again cosmetic items, but not be able to buy convenience items that I will never see because I am too poor when the CE is available.
  4. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

I have kept out of this topic because I have grown anti CE after purchasing a few that turned out to be junk (SWTOR) and a huge disappointment with items that were then found on the Cash Shop. So I really think there is nothing that could be included (I had a list of possible items but I had to hide it from my wife) that would sweeten a deal for me to buy a CE.
  5. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Getting it cheaper in the bundled CE pack.

Since CE most likely also contain other objects than convenience items, the full pack at a cheaper price than buying each item seperately and with 1-2 vanity/real world items added is still well worth the price.
  6. Kahlan

Kahlan Guest

So, if I'm understanding you correctly...

+ All convenience items in a CE should be available via the cash shop?
    + All cosmetic items should be exclusive to CE owners?

As I have stated before, I won't purchase a CE which is heavy on cosmetic items, because I have found them to be rather lackluster. Which means, I'm only purchasing a CE if it has convenience items that are not available to other players at any time. Convenience items or cosmetic items, it doesn't matter - if you make any items in a CE available to the entire playerbase via a cash shop, that undermines the existence and purpose of a CE. In my opinion, ALL Collector's Edition items need to be exclusive to that bundle or there is absolutely no reason for a CE to exist. Collector's Edition, Limited Edition, and Special Edition are terms used to imply that X number of an item is available and only those people who purchase under a company's terms are entitled to the contents of the edition. Everyone else is restricted.
  7. SiegaPlays

Yes, correct. We will just have to disagree on the matter, I think.

If people would rather buy the items at a higher price from a cash shop, I feel they should be able to do so. After all, it is not just about feeling entitled from buying something special, it is about the games ability to make cash to persist. The special part of buying CE would be to get it at a favorable price and show support from not actually being interested in everything in the CE pack but still buying it.

Just like I also consider subscription on a f2p game a bundled pack of monthly unlockers rather than a subscription. Those who wants to buy the same unlockers at full price rather than the discounted bundled pack (sub) should be able to do so. They a not lesser players for making that choice.
  8. Kahlan

Kahlan Guest

I agree that we're going to have to disagree on this topic. :) But, I would like to add, since I was just discussing this with my partner...

I've received numerous convenience items in CE's over the years, especially in MMOs. At no time has any of those items led me or anyone else I've played with to be upset with another player about the convenience or vice versa. The reason for this is, I don't particularly care how someone else reached level cap and other people don't care about how I reached level cap. Maybe it took someone three months because they have other priorities? Maybe it took them three days? Maybe it took them slightly less time because they bought the CE? The convenience items have never broken any subscription based game that I have played. Because when we're all raiding together, talking and joking, it doesn't matter how you got there... only that you're there. The journey is different for everyone.
  9. SiegaPlays

Just because something is not broken it can still be improved.
  10. Amlin

Amlin Cupcake

I have to echo an Authenticator as something that should come with CEs no questions, even just a Deluxe version must have one as well. I'm not interested in toy statues but I would like something like a cute little Aurin hoodie with ears or other clothing apparel.
  11. Maddog Charlie

Maddog Charlie Cupcake-About-Town

......WHAT ? am I the only one left who values the retail box as a place to put my tears and inside voice screams when I cant log into the game, :confused:

Carbine - Small cuddly bear for hugs in case anything goes wrong with servers :D Please

BearLove.png
  12. SiegaPlays

Sorry, but the convenience of digital download far outweighs any wish to add more stuff to my real life housing inventory. I can organize a guild bank with blinders on, but my house is a constant mess.

I have nada sentimental affection for retail items - with the exception for WildStar the Movie, then I'll bite.
    Taters and Maddog Charlie like this.
  13. SDR

SDR Cupcake

Lets see Wildstar the Game first, before we start talking about a movie. ;)
  14. Venion

Venion New Cupcake

Physical swag of good quality is always a plus. Virtual goods though, I dislike combat-useable gear, since you tend to outgrow it early. I prefer cosmetic items that you can always show off like clothing, furniture, or titles. Things that you can use for appearances only. Mounts are fun if they have unique models (and are not released later down the line), but only if they scale in movement speed, otherwise you just outgrow them like you would bonus combat-useable gear.

Plushies are always nice. :)
    Maddog Charlie likes this.
  15. Maddog Charlie

^ that +10 likes except no stemdragons :(
    Venion likes this.
  16. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

Come on! A plush flower that you turn inside out into the Stemdragon! Marketing genius!
  17. Maddog Charlie

Yep I can see Zap showing that to infants,
    'look pretty flower then ................................AGGGGHHHH MONSTER PLANT !' :roflamo:
  18. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

Dog that's spooky.
  19. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

Them hamster balls still sound good.
  20. bitbandit

bitbandit Cupcake-About-Town

I like things like soundtrack cds/downloads, cloth maps, map posters, coins, patches for clothing. Fluff stuff, but fluff that makes sense. Like a tshirt :D bumper stickers, I WANT SHWAG!
    Yakzan likes this.