1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What Wildstar needs to get right in RP

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Vyver, May 6, 2013.

1. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

• Frivolous poll removed
    hahaha parody title.

Because really, did we need another thread about pvp and raiding? Not likely, but we could always use more threads about roleplaying! 1% and all that. So I'm going to make this short and sweet for the people who can't go five minutes without talking about raid sizes and epic gear. (I kid I kid)

So, here is a

TOP 10 LIST OF VYVER'S RP THINGS..IDEAS...STUFF that he mainly stole from City of Heroes but man that game was awesome and would be nice to have.

Some of this has been hinted at, shown, or at least mentioned. But hey, what are forums for but repeating the same ideas over and over again.

And, to make it easier I'll list these items from easiest to hardest to implement, whether it's just "development time" or "entire restructure of game". Nah, unorganized list it is!

1. Chat channel coloring. Seriously just being able to either a) easily tell what channel someone is speaking on by color or b) easily change channels by clicking a colored chat tab.

1a. Chat channels. I mean this is a given but I feel like covering my bases here. The ability to create custom chat channels and be able to invite/block people from them, and set a "message of the day" is important.

2. Customizable chat bubbles. Example, the ability to change the color of the text and background of the chat bubble so you can easily look up and see who's talking by color alone.

3. Emotes. A lot of them. Ranging from silly to serious, I'm not just talking about dance emotes to keep you entertained while waiting for the LFG tool either. Everything from finger pointing to groveling, excited jumping to shoulder shrug.

3a. Emote macros. Nobody wants to search for a specific emote every time they want their character to shrug. And it's incredibly off putting for a roleplayer in front of you to have a 20 second delay between speech and action. Letting us bind emotes and speech to keys would be an amazing help.

3b. Chat emotes. For instance, /e sits down = Vyver sits down. And wouldn't be displayed in a speech bubble.

4. Universal Guild uniforms. Uniforms are a <REDACTED> to do with a loot based game, even with costume slots. Having all 30 members of your guild go out and look for that one hat they need to blend in is a horrible way to spend their time so why not allow guild uniforms use a specialized costume slot that allows all members to wear the same outfit no matter if they have the pieces or not.

5. Faction/Path specific nonchalant costume pieces. Yes, that +5 skull spike of doom armor is awesome, but sometimes people like to dress down for their jobs. So why not release items that have no stats or abilities to speak of that merely make us look the part. Soldiers get armor, scientists get labcoats, settlers get space-overalls. And then on top of that have Dominion/Exile uniforms for people to wear as well.

6. Guild Housing. No, not Warplots. Something less active. Mainly just larger (much larger) housing with an increased number of rooms and abilities. We've talking about raid teleports, why not individual zone teleporting, item vault, meeting rooms, training areas etc. Nobody likes hearing "hey, we're meeting in X zone in 15 minutes" when X zone is 3 transatlantic flights away. You can argue till you're blue about how being able to teleport across zones makes the world feel smaller, but hey, that's the nature of teleporting. Not to mention guild-sized farms and mines etc.

6a. Being able to deck your guild hall out in your guild colors, with banners, signs, flags etc.

6b. In the event of no guild housing, the ability to set permission for individual housing to allow guild members onto the property. That way we can create a guild mule and make his house the guild fort.

Okay, now we get into the really "wow this is never going to happen but I might as well type it out"

7. Flexible levels, also known as "level scaling", In city of heroes, you could physically lower your level to tackle lower level content at intended difficulty. Not only did this have a HUGE impact on the contents longevity (the devs could pretty much just make content for any level range and not have to worry since everyone could do it) but it also allowed people to form groups and roleplay through content without having to worry about their one level-capped friend steam rolling it for them. This meant that nobody ever missed out on any guild activity because they were at too high/or low of level.

8. User created missions. Just throw in some interior maps, some monsters, let us customize the dialog and we'd be peachy keen. No rewards necessary.

9. Cross Faction Communication. I think I've said as much as I'm going to say. Being able to communicate across factions is more important than your need to be free of consequences for your actions. Especially if there's going to be neutral zones.

10. SITTING. Something you apparently need a blue moon, a bottle of fairy farts, two grasshoppers mating and an issued apology from EA to create! I don't care if my Draken tail clips the chair, I can look past that easier than not being able to sit at all.

10a. Different sitting positions. For instance, one where your character leans forward menacingly, a relaxed pose, and a strict official pose.

So, there you have it. My major additions to RPing I would like to actually see in an MMO these days instead of having everything not pertaining to raiding and pvp be swept under the rug until those two get "fixed" but who are we kidding those never get "fixed".

Any other ideas RPers have?
  2. Joukehainen

Joukehainen Well-Known Cupcake

3. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

Oh man I totally forgot about those.

YEAH TOTALLY
    Joukehainen likes this.
  4. Dean Fry

Dean Fry Cupcake

Settlers being able to build buildings in an instanced area where they can build a town with Shops, Restaurants, Pubs etc.
  5. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Hmm settlers being able to upgrade campfires to full fledged towns , given enough settlers. The more settlers that come around, the bigger they should be able to build up a place.
    It would be great for events, like a monthly get together. Everyone heads to a zone, and the settlers make it a big fancy town where folks can bind to .

Oo and interactivity in general with things. Click a painting to ponder it, sit at a bar and be able to click on a mug and your character will be able to drink it. A piano in saloons, a table folks can sit on and arm wrestle mini game.
    Racing tracks ! Group emotes like hugs or a wild west draw your guns at the count of three!
  6. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

This is so, so, so, so important, but not just path-specific stuff. Casualish clothes in general is amazing for roleplay. Honestly I don't want my character always walking around town in full armor - it's silly! Give me the tools to look like an average person, and I will be so freaking happy.

Guild housing would be incredible, though I think they said they aren't going to be doing this. Sadface. :(

Gestures tied to talking in /say also go a long way in helping cement that "My character really is saying these things" feel, even more if the gesture changes depending on punctuation (full stop, question mark, and exclamation mark).

Some really vital emotes, in addition to the basic ones, are /sit and /sleep (or /lay or whatever). I'm currently playing an MMO with the former but not the latter, and its absence is really felt. Oh and not just sitting, but sitting in chairs. But you know what I miss even more?

A mother frakkin' walk toggle!

I don't wanna have to run everywhere! I love being able to just walk around a city and RP, or walk calmly through a tavern, or take a nice little nature walk through a region. So yeah, walking is absolutely vital.

In-game world events, tied to holidays or other lore-appropriate cultural events, especially when the cities get into it with decorations and costumes and whatnot really help bring the world to life - and are an excellent stage for some fun, contextual roleplay.

And lastly... well, probably not lastly but at least until I have another idea: plenty of buildings that we can go inside. I hate the Hollywood set feel of so many MMO cities where all the buildings are just faces. GW2 improved this feeling, their instanced cities allowing them an extraordinary amount of detail and size, but even they I feel could have gone further. Give me plenty and plenty and plenty of indoor space - some occupied by NPCs like bartenders and others just empty and furnished. For setting!
    Exodus_31 likes this.
  7. Exodus_31

Exodus_31 Cupcake

I read that introduction like it was an Egoraptor Sequelitis video Ha!

This is all some simple and awesome stuff that helps make a game last. Guess developers don't realize these days that some of the most long-lived players are those in the RP community.

Also, I love you Vyver. Good list.
  8. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

Okay- honesty time. You had more than 10 idea, stuffs, things here.... ;)

This made me literally laugh out loud. And woke my son up, good thing he just laughed with me, then fell right back to sleep.

Anyways. Number 10 is the big one for me. BIG. I respect the fact that the devs understand how important this is for us, and I know they will keep trying to gather all the ingredients and when the moon and stars all align perfectly on a new moon during a planetary eclipse during leap year- then we shall sit in some <REDACTED> chairs.
    Joukehainen, Kataryna and Naunet like this.
  9. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

I agree with everything you said but I'd like to add this as well

Yes a walk toggle

I know it's something a lot of people take for granted now, but it's something that's easily missed.

I remember back before City of Heroes had a walk toggle, two developers got married in real life, and since each developer was represented by an NPC ingame, they thought it would be fun to have an ingame wedding for their characters.

Long story short the Bride had to run down the isle at full tilt. It was incredibly hilarious, which I don't think was the intended emotion for that scene.

Adding onto the toggle bit, different walk toggles. Like, okay lets be honest here. The women in game are going to have the sexy hip swaying catwalk while the men are going to have the brutish stride. It's a given. I mean, a woman has to show off her WIDE HIPS, C-D CUP BREASTS, THIN ARMS AND LEGS, NARROW WAIST right? /INJOKE

It would be nice to have different walk toggles. Maybe based off idle animation styles.

OH

when you create a character you get to choose their stance, aggressive, seductive, militant, lazy, which then affects their idle, running, and walking animations.

It'll never happen but its a thought right?
    Zepherion likes this.
  10. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Foxy walk toggle for men please, and macho strut for women. My granok female would definitely do that.
    Zepherion, Joukehainen and Kataryna like this.
  11. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

That's how I walk every day! It's just natural for a woman, duh!

Homygosh this would be so amazing. I'm going to go to bed tonight dreaming about this. And yes, as Rumze said - sexytiemz for the menses, too!
  12. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

Yes.

Because they're all classy spies I want to see a male Mechari soiree into a room.

Make my dreams come true Carbine.
    Naunet likes this.
  13. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

Agree with all except cross faction chat shouldn't be on PvP servers (on RP-PvP servers it's fine).
  14. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

That's fine, whatever. Hell, even bar cross-faction chat in Hostile zones. (since there are three kinds of zones, peaceful, neutral, and hostile) As long as its just not completely devoid of it I dont care.
  15. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

Enforcing naming rules on RP servers. I don't RP but I usually play on an RP servers because I really hate seeing people with names like Lolumad and Igankudie from their guild, PVP Stars. I know several MMOs don't enforce naming rules and I hope that won't be the case for W* too.
    Vunak and Naunet like this.
  16. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

I believe it's safe to say that a walk toggle is in game.

Also you can sit in game, and you can sit down on various chairs. There is no specific chair sit animation for each race, as they've said, but they are allowing all the races to /sit on any surface they want.

And neither of these are Arkship NDA things because I'm pretty positive I saw them in other PAX videos and whatnot. ;) Perhaps even in that long Gamespot Deradune Stalker video walkthrough, can't quite remember.

But I will say this... some of the things the developers talked about at Arkship in regards to a lot of these things you guys are talking about... well, I really don't think you will be disappointed when they officially reveal various things. ^^
    Kataryna likes this.
  17. Joukehainen

Joukehainen Well-Known Cupcake

Werk!
  18. Lsya

Lsya Cupcake-About-Town

I have to say that all of the thing mentioned above are the things that would keep me playing for a long long time. :)
  19. Daynejah

Daynejah Cupcake

I'm loving everything about this thread-and at 7:45 in the morning Vyver you have me cracking up.

The more we hear from you the more I like you. Give me more snark!
    Zepherion likes this.
  20. Goreshank

Goreshank Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah I've definitely seen some sitting characters, unless my mind is playing tricks on me.