1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

What Wildstar needs to get right in RP

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Vyver, May 6, 2013.

1. Packetdancer

Packetdancer Addon Cupcake

And if Vader was prohibited from cross-faction chat with Rebels, Luke would've never learned his parentage! ;)

VADER: "Qrgh, K bm wgtl gyltbr!"
    LUKE: *looks puzzled* "Wait, what? I have no idea what you just said. Faction chat filter."
    VADER: *looks equally blank* "Trbl?"
    LUKE: *speaking slowly, loudly* "I. Don't. Understand. You."
    VADER: *irritated, brandishing saber for emphasis* "K bm wgtl gylrbr!"
    LUKE: *shrugs* "Fine, we'll have a rematch after the 'lost hand' debuff wears off. Let's pick a different PvP arena, though." *lets go, zones out of Cloud City*
    VADER: "..."
    Sol, Joukehainen and Seagrey like this.
  2. WarPlots

WarPlots Cupcake

1) Most items should be purchasable from the Auction House; however, I would like to see players visit crafter's plots for select items and/ or services. I think MMOs in general are trying make economic exchanges as convenient as possible, and this sometimes hurts RP.

2) If I am serving cocktails in my house, players better be able to pass out in chairs/ beds. I will not be happy if I have to step over people, this isn't a frat house.

3) I would love to see Settlers be able to create drink stations (huts) in territories. Maybe drinks/cocktails could give temporary combat buffs in the form of confidence. Then a short 'hangover' de-buff when it runs out. It would be fun to stumble across one of these player run stations in a random location & start socializing.
  3. Twinflame

Twinflame Cupcake-About-Town

This is that "awkwardly emoting at eachother" thing I mentioned in my earlier post. It does allow youto communicate certain things, but it doesn't amount to RP. You can't exactly move a plot with /hi, /wave, /hug, /bye.
  4. Seagrey

Seagrey Cupcake-About-Town

This makes sense.
  5. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

Also this is going off an earlier post,but if we have to mod an ingame bio sheet ourselves, we should totally go all out an include font stuff and light html formatting because why not
  6. Twinflame

Can we please use some common sense and put a character limit on visible names and "Currently" lines, though? Cause if you don't, you'll get, like...

Name: First Grand Warlord Fabian Excelsius D'Olicieur the High Champion of Nexus
    ((to which I'm all, "too long, didn't read. From now on your name is First and no, I don't care.))

Currently: First Grand Warlord Fabian Excelsius D'Olicieur the High Champion of Nexus is a massive and intimidating man, nearly double the size of your typical human and <insert twenty lines of description that pop up every time you mouse over him.>
    ((to which I'm like, "So what you're saying is you're funny-lookin. Kay. Got it. Moving on."))

And you know what it'll look like if you give them basic HTML contols?

Name: First Grand Warlord Fabian Excelsius D'Olicieur the High Champion of Nexus
  7. Sol

Sol Cupcake-About-Town

So I shouldn't ever talk to American's as I'm an Australian and if I want to I should go and be born one? In every single war that ever took place both factions have communicated with each other, and believe it or not they didn't do so solely through /emotes!
  8. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

Whatever floats their boat mate. If I /inspect someone and see rainbow text I can back outta that as fast as I want.

Plus it'll totally get me more bingo squares.

I would suffer through 1000 horrible rainbios to see a handfull of amazing ones.
    Khrusky likes this.
  9. Twinflame

That's fair, and, you're right. If folks think that's fun and have a group of friends that agree, then more power to 'em. What I'm reacting specifically to is WoW RP addons that show the entire name in the chatbox every time the speak, and show the entire "currently" every time you mouse-over them. I have seen so-called reputable member of the RP community with names that take up multiple lines of text every time they talk, and "Currently" statuses that block out half my screen every time my cursor touches them.

Rainbios. Hah! You've given me a new word.
    Khrusky likes this.
  10. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

[​IMG]

thats a thing that exists?

oh <REDACTED> that then. No no no nooooooooooooo no. I didn't even know stuff like that existed.

Yeah let's skip that part.

That entire part.
  11. Twinflame

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And it pops up every time you mouse over her. Also, that whole name, every time she says anything. "[Mind Jester Elivanthe Annu'dorinnal'talah] says: Hello."
    Khrusky likes this.
  12. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

Yeah, the combination of mouse-over and name insert just kinda ruins it.

When I originally suggested html I was thinking more in lines of TSWRP where everything is hidden by a button.
  13. Twinflame

And I would be completely behind that. It'd be a pretty nice boon if there was an official one built into the game, since we wouldn't have to worry about it glitching out with every new patch and deleting all our snazzy bios. (and all those beautiful, putrid rainbios).
  14. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

Yeah, this is exactly why I want as much as humanly (or inhumanly!) possible packed into the game outside of add-ons.
  15. Packetdancer

Now I have an image of RvR conflicts being fought like West Side Story, with folks doing /jet_dance and /shark_dance at each other.
  16. Twinflame

Oh, hey, idea. Card decks. Like, the ability to actually play a game of cards in-game. Program it with a few different kinds of poker, some non-betting games, and solitaire. That way we can RP over a game of cards in the tavern.

Back in my days in WoW, there were lots of attempts to make gambling games that were playable in-game. Some of these used the basic /roll, and I saw several thousand gold get exchanged this way while people were bored between pulls towards the end of raid progression. A more notable attempt used the GHI roleplaying add-on (which allowed players to create and code items that only worked with others who also had the add-on) to program simple games. The restrictions on the add-on limited the "deck" to seven cards, which essentially just had a number affixed and were distributed among players after a round of betting. Essentially, a more convaluted /roll gamble with an element of immersion added to the community. Even this simple of a game became very popular among Alliance players for several months, and was used in lots of RP.

Imagine if we had a full deck of cards with full games programmed in? I'd use the heck out of it. So would other RPers, I'm sure.
    Khrusky, Packetdancer and Naunet like this.
  17. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

Haha, I remember in my Legion of Doomesque group in City of Villains, a lot of the more punch clock villains would get together and play poker while chatting in-character (with one person acting as dealer and whispering people their hands)

fun times fun times
  18. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

I'd much prefer to have a Wildstar specific game - either something akin to Pazaak (which is awesome and fun) or something more like Magic: The Gathering. Having collectables that are actually usable can be something that would really keep people playing, searching for those last few cards to make the perfect deck would be awesome.
  19. Packetdancer

That's something I think could totally be done as an add-on, and a brilliant idea!
  20. Evion

Evion WildStar Haiku Winner 2012

Ooooh, actually, some kind of card or table game with simple card deck or dice would be really awesome and fitting for that wild west feel. Brings to mind all those classic Poker battles of the movies. It could also be tied in to some of the lore with blockade running or spy-finding, etc.