1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Which class is best at jump puzzles?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by nennafir, Mar 20, 2014.

1. nennafir

nennafir New Cupcake

Which classes are best at jump puzzles?

e.g., "jump shot" in GW2 was (back when I played the game at least--things might have changed) an ability that could greatly help you complete a jump puzzle.

Spellslingers seem to have a teleport. Is that at all useful or is the teleporting restricted so that it doesn't really help in the puzzles? e.g., you can teleport but it doesn't let you teleport anywhere you couldn't just walk to, etc.

What about other classes?

I know that explorers themselves get abilities which are useful, but here I am asking about the classes only and their abilities.

Thanks!
  2. Satarn

Satarn Cupcake-About-Town

Probably stalker, as you can use Pounce to travel quite some distance horizontally and False Retreat launches you up pretty high. Both can be used to ignore falling damage as well. If you're interested in Explorer path in general, stealth is also nice when you want to sneak up somewhere to leave a vista or dig something out for a scavenger hunt without fighting - you'll unstealth however after interacting with any object/using patch G ability so be careful with that.

Spellslinger's Gate isn't restricted as long as you don't hit a wall - be it actual or an invisible one. All mobility skills in the game seem to work that way.
    nennafir likes this.
  3. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

Warrior and Stalker both have those 'gap closers' in the form of different leaps that would be beneficial. Then again, Espers have the transform into healing unicorn power and sprint forward 20m.

Overall, I agree the Stalker would probably suite an Explorer best. They have the leaps to help them get close. They also have stealth which will let them avoid mobs and reach distance destinations safely. Second would probably be Spellslinger mostly for the gate ability, but it will take skill to use it properly when you want a precise position for a jumping puzzle.
    nennafir likes this.
  4. calebrus

calebrus Cupcake-About-Town

It dosen't matter whish class you choose. A jumping puzzle inherently needs to be able to be completed without the use of any movement skills, by jumping alone. The question isn't which class will be able to do them the best. The question is which players will have difficulty with them.
    One could argue that Domi's statement about Slingers' Gate would and will apply to every single movement ability available to any class, and that Gate will actually be one of the easier ones to deal with because it has a shorter base range traveled.
    nennafir and Kataryna like this.
  5. Satarn

Except for ranges Gate(17m), Pounce(25m), Leap(20m), Projected Spirit(25m) and Urgency(20m) are all pretty much the same, so for that all classes except for the Engineer are semi-equal.

Warriors and Spellslingers are also a bit worse than the rest, because they only have the frontal leaps, while all the others got some sort of a "backstep" ability as additional tool to ignore falling damage.
    Stalker is the only one that can go upwards I think and from what I've tested False Retreat launches you a little higher than double jump so may let you get to some places others can't reach.

Another thing worth noting I suppose, are the tiers. Esper's Projected Spirit can be tiered to increase range by 10 meters which gives a whole 35 meters, while medic's Restrictor and stalker's Leap charge count can be increased to 2 and Engineer's Urgent Withdrawal to 3.

I guess the "ranking" would go somewhat like this:
    stalker>esper>medic>warrior>spellslinger>engineer
    nennafir likes this.
  6. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

I hadn't thought about this until now, but I wonder if it's possible to look up and 'aim' projected spirit up.....
    nennafir likes this.
  7. calebrus

calebrus Cupcake-About-Town

The only one that I'm *aware* of that has any sort of vertical aspect to it is False Retreat.
    Pounce, as an example, moves you on a horizontal axis for the full distance, unless environment comes into play in between. For example, in Walatiki, when you use Pounce at the base of the hill and looking up toward the top of the hill, you don't get teh full 25m out of it because you contact the ground before that 25m is used up. It's strictly horizontal movement from the place where the skill was initiated (regardless of your mouselook facing - looking up isn't truly "looking up," it's camera angle only). Jumping changes the elevation of where the skill was initiated, but camera angle relative to the horizon does not.
    Once again, I'm not certain about all of them, but the only one that I'm *aware* of that incorporates a noticable vertical aspect into it is False Retreat.
    nennafir likes this.
  8. nennafir

nennafir New Cupcake

Thanks for the input everyone!
  9. Felion

Felion Cupcake-About-Town

Engineers have that (forgot what it's called) jump that has 2 charges, I seem to remember that it can be cast in the air, effectively making a double jump into a quadruple jump. This can also come in handy.

Based on the videos shown for some of the raids, I think every class would necessarily have a instant-travel ability to cancel out fall damage, so the engineer has to has something too. But not like the other classes though. That double jump definitely do not work well as an "escape" ability lol... But it could work for a jumping puzzle.
  10. Satarn

All mobility skills can be used while in the air and all prevent falling damage if used correctly.

I actually mentioned Urgent Withdrawal in the end, but it's the backstep category rather than frontal leap and the distance per jump is only 5 meters. Even if you count all 3 charges together, it's still less than any of the frontal mobility skills, not to mention you'll be losing altitude with every jump.
    So yes, Engineer has a skill like this as well, it just seems less useful than what other classes have to offer exploring-wise. For combat, the fact you can do 3 jumps, each in a different direction, may actually be more beneficial at times.